17 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 12:09 PM by jules______

FCP to PP questions: part 1

jules______ Level 1

A series of questions that have arrisen from exploring PP.

1) When I have a clip in the timeline, an audio file of VO for example, and I hit space to play it and am then listening to it, when i jump forwards in the timeline to listen to another bit PP stops playing whereas FCP would keep playing, which is better because it saves me hitting the space key each time i jump to a new point.

Is there a setting i need to change something to enable PP to do this? Or do I need to request it as a future feature?

2) My keyboard layout in in FCP7 is slightly tweaked so this may not be the same for everyone, but in FCP7 I have CTRL G as close gap. I can jump to a gap in my timeline and hit CTRL+G and the next clip along butts up next to the previous clip.

This doesn't seem to work in PP and I can't find a keyboard shortcut for close gap. Is there one? Or is this feature called something else? Or do I have to submit a feature request?

At the moment it seems I need to delete a clip, click the gap, then delete the gap. 3 moves for one before.

3) In my key layout I have the numbers 7 to 0 assigned to +3db, +1db, -1db, -3db and highlight a piece of audio and adjust with the keystroke. Can't seem to find the keyboard shortcuts for these in PP. Am I being thick? Can I assign these settings to keys in PP? Or is this another feature request?

• 1. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
          Jim_Simon Level 8

1. Feature Request.

2. Alt+Backspace is the default.  (But the gap has to be 'selected' with the mouse first.)

3. There is no shortcut assigned by default, but you can create one.  Search for Audio gain... in the shortcuts dialog.  (However, this will only bring up the Audio Gain feature for you to set gain.  There's no way to apply it with a shortcut.)

• 2. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
            jules______ Level 1

Hi Jim, thanks.

re: 2) That still seems quite clunky so will stick it on a feature request.

re: 3) That is also quite a clunky way of just upping the db a bit, especially over multiple clips. I, obviously, don't know how sound works in PP so a feature such as the +/-3db in FCP may not work but if it can... feature request

I think i need to find a good audio tutorial because although yes, it is familiar and i'm sure logical, it still seems quite different to what I am used to.

re 1) thanks. will do.

• 3. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I think i need to find a good audio tutorial

Once the Help file comes out, I strongly recommend giving that a thorough read.  A Lot of these questions will probably be answered there.

• 4. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                TradeWind Level 3

jules______ wrote:

At the moment it seems I need to delete a clip, click the gap, then delete the gap. 3 moves for one before.

If you have clip that needs to be deleted and the gap closed, just select the clip and hit SHIFT+DEL to do that. It's the same procedure whether you are removing clips or gaps...just select the clip (or gap) and hit SHIFT+DEL. Done.

If you're just jumping gap to gap and deleting them, then yes it is a bit more clunky than you might be used to doing. I've never needed gap removal like you are discussing, but I can see where it's frustrating to "lose" a feature during your transition from FCP.

• 5. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Jim,

The Help files are live. Press F1 within Premiere Pro, or go here: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/topics.html

The only limitation is that you cannot print the entire contents of Help to PDF. That functionality is coming shortly.

• 6. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1

Great idea. Make a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 7. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                      jules______ Level 1

Yes Jim, you're right and will do. But i also like jumping in and really wanted to test my habits from FCP on PP and try and start getting over the frustration of having to relearn things i've done for ten years

Thanks for all your input so far though.

• 8. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                        jules______ Level 1

cheers Kevin, bit of bedtime reading there then ! And which idea was a great idea, out of curiosity?

• 9. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                          jules______ Level 1

Cheers Christian, that certainly helped and worked, thanks. Although (because I prefer one button at a time) is there anyway I can remap the SHIFT + BACKSPACE command to just the DELETE key (sorry on a Mac)?

And I tend to do a lot of my cutting and work on the timeline. I throw clips on and play around with them. Sometimes I have large gaps where i have used different areas of the timeline as palates to experiment with and jump through closing gaps to tidy things up. Other times I have a series of interviews on a timeline with gaps between different subjects and as i use snippets here and there i delete the clips i've used but leave a space so i can visually see what i'm doing/have done... and then later i will want to tidy up and again close gap does the trick.

Anyway, thanks for the other pointer though, that definitely helps and will be even better if i can remap it.

• 10. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                            TradeWind Level 3

jules______ wrote:

Cheers Christian, that certainly helped and worked, thanks. Although (because I prefer one button at a time) is there anyway I can remap the SHIFT + BACKSPACE command to just the DELETE key (sorry on a Mac)?

Not sure...you can change almost all of your keyboard shortucts, so I imagine you could set "Ripple Delete" (that's what this function is called) do the DELETE key, but then every time you hit DELETE in the timeline, it's going to do that. You'd have to change the Delete (or "Clear"?) function in the Edit shortcuts to SHIFT+DELETE or SHIFT+BACKSPACE and use that just to simply delete an asset in the timeline WITHOUT rippling.

Now I'm not sure, but if you do change the Delete/Clear function to SHIFT+DELETE, that may also impact the program window where all your assets reside. Guess you could test it and see.

• 12. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                              TradeWind Level 3

Oooooohhhhhhh SNAP! Just realized you CAN set Ripple Delete to DELETE and then set Clear to "BACKSPACE" separate of one another.

I found the reverse was NOT true....if you set Ripple Delete to BACKSPACE, it will just delete (no ripple). That is stupid.

Guess a bug report is in order....

• 13. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                                jules______ Level 1

Thanks for the tutorial Jim, with have  alook.

Christian, so following your lead I set Ripple Delete to what the shortcut menu calls Forward Delete (delete on my keyboard) and normal delete (as in it just delete's it but doesn't ripple) is still with backspace and that seems to work fine.

Obviously I may run into other problems as you suggest, but i'll have to see but for now that does just what I wanted.

Backsapce = remove clip and keep the timeline the same

Delete (Forward Delete) = ripple delete, deleting the clip and the gap along with it.

So ta

• 14. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                                  TradeWind Level 3

jules______ wrote:

Christian, so following your lead I set Ripple Delete to what the shortcut menu calls Forward Delete

..."forward" delete? Where in the world are you? The UK?

Never thought it'd be called anything but "ripple" so shows what I know.

• 15. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                                    jules______ Level 1

I am in the UK, but it, the shortcut box, called it Forward Delete not me

too many words with multiple meanings. confusing!!! but it works. I am happy. Thanks all

• 16. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1

I was going to suggest you make a feature request for Close Gap, but I realize that in Premiere Pro CS6 you can do the very same thing with a new command called, "Ripple Trim to Playhead," (sometimes called "Top and Tail"). You can use these commands to close gaps. You have to set the shortcuts for them:

Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead

Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead

If the playhead is on the outgoing clip behind the gap, choose > Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead.

If the playhead is on the incoming clip ahead of the gap, go left one frame, and then choose > Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead.

Although there are two shortcuts to achieve closing gaps in Premiere Pro, FCP 7 could only achieve this behavior to gaps. Premiere Pro applies the top and tail (close gap) behavior to gaps and clips. It's more powerful.

• 17. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 1
                                        jules______ Level 1

Hi Kevin,

thanks for that. Just tested it out. So the Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead does work but not quite in the same simplistic way.

If I use the up arrow to go to the previous edit then it won't work. I have to nudge forward one frame and then do it and then, of course, I have a one frame gap.

Additionally, with FCP version i can just dump the playhead anywhere in a gap and it will close the gap.

So yes, this is useful in some of my uses, such as reducing the gap quickly when i've been throwing things on the timeline, but in terms of simply and fully closing the gap, it doesn't.

But, I shall add it to my features wish list and post them all in due course.

Thanks for the pointers though, it is good to know that feature is there and for now I shall test it out more in my normal flow.