4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 2:45 PM by alaska42

Importing RAW images problem in AE CS6

alaska42

My timelapse workflow includes importing Canon RAW files into After Effects. The first time I tried this in AE CS6 , clicking on first RAW file, format Camera RAW, import as footage, checking Camera RAW sequence, AE only imported one frame. Project box indicated more than one frame had been imported....file name was IMG_[1023-1160}.cr2, but dropping into a Comp shows only one frame. I went back to CS5.5 and imported the same files with no problem....dropped them into a Comp and had normal RAW footage. Is there some setting in CS6 I am missing?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Importing RAW images problem in AE CS6
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi Mike,

I just double-checked importing a couple of Canon raw sequences in AE CS6 and it's working OK for me. There's no change in how this works from AE CS5.5. I need more information about what you're doing.

What model of Canon camera did the raw files come from?

Please post screenshots of:

- The Import dialog when you select your files.

- The Project panel after you import the sequence.

-=TimK

• 2. Re: Importing RAW images problem in AE CS6
            alaska42 Level 1

Here is my CS5.5 shot

AE5.5.JPG

Import into CS6

ImportCS6.JPG

CS6 timeline

CS6.JPG

I am shooting a Canon 5D mark II  and running an 8 core 32Gs of RAM with a GTX 570 Video Card...still not thrilled with performance, especially with LR4.

• 3. Re: Importing RAW images problem in AE CS6
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Your last screenshot shows that the sequence imported correctly in AE CS6. The sequence has a duration of 13s 8f at 10fps.

However, your comp is only 1f long. When you create the comp, make sure to edit the duration value. Or, do what I do and create the comp byt dragging the image sequence to the New Composition button at the bottom of the Project panel. Then edit the comp settings if you need to change the frame size, etc.

(I understand your complaint about performance. Raw files are slow. Best way to help with that is to file a feature request. Please include detailed information about your workflow and why speedy access to raw files is important to you. Specific details helps us to prioritize improvements.)

-=TimK

• 4. Re: Importing RAW images problem in AE CS6
                alaska42 Level 1

Wow Tim thanks for the quick response. That was it. Thanks for your patience with newbies like me. Now if I can get my project to render out using Avid's DNxHD ( keeps erroring).

Mike