11 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 12:32 PM by jules______

FCP to PP questions: part 2

jules______

4) tttt in FCP lets me select everything behind where I click. is this available in PP? All I can find is clicking t gives me the option to select everything on a specific track but not everything. I like selecting everything if i want to move it all along the timeline to give me some space to do stuff in.

5)  In FCP Backspace deletes a highlighted clip but leaves the timeline as it is. Delete deletes a highlighted clip and closes the gap left by the removal of the clip.

In PP I can only use backspace which deletes the clip and leaves a gap. Is there a way to do the FCP version of Delete so I delete a clip and the gap left automatically goes? Or is this another feature request?

6) In FCP I can place little icons in different windows of the app, eg: new sequence, freeze frame, +3db, Render, etc. which one clicks on and they work.

Do these icons exist in PP?

• 1. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
          Jim_Simon Level 8

4) Hit A on the keyboard.  This calls up the track select tool.  Hold shift to include all tracks.  Everything to the right of where you click will be selected.

5)  The default for Lift is semi-colon, and for Extract is apostrophe.  (However, those shortcuts don't seem to work for me at all.  They do absolutely nothing, so I'm not sure what's going on there.)

6) No.

• 2. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
            jules______ Level 1

re 4) Thank you

re 5) yes, i typed in the terms in the keys shortcut window and they both came up with the key strokes you said, but for me too they don't work. hang on, may just try changing them, probably won't do anything but worth a go.

Nope. just backspace deleting a clip then, unless anyone else can shed any light.

re 6) cheers. shame but hardly a deal breaker of any kind.

• 3. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
              Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

For 5), Lift/Extract work in conjunction with setting an in/out range.  I think what you're just looking for is simply ripple delete, which is shift-delete.

6) The only customizable buttons are the transport controls in the source/program monitors. Click the + button on the bottom right of each monitor to customize.

Cheers

• 4. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Lift/Extract work in conjunction with setting an in/out range.

Ahh, I didn't try that.  I figured just selecting a clip would be sufficient.

• 5. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
                  TradeWind Level 3

jules______ wrote:

5)  In FCP Backspace deletes a highlighted clip but leaves the timeline as it is. Delete deletes a highlighted clip and closes the gap left by the removal of the clip.

In PP I can only use backspace which deletes the clip and leaves a gap. Is there a way to do the FCP version of Delete so I delete a clip and the gap left automatically goes? Or is this another feature request?

See the part 1 thread...basically, DEL (or BACKSPACE) removes the selected clip(s) whereas SHIFT+DEL (or SHIFT+BACKSPACE...??) will ripple delete, removing the clips and leaving no gap.

6) In FCP I can place little icons in different windows of the app, eg: new sequence, freeze frame, +3db, Render, etc. which one clicks on and they work.

Do these icons exist in PP?

I'm not really sure what you're asking about here, but it doesn't sound like anything you'd do in Premier Pro. However, there are shortcuts you can use for that stuff (new sequence is CTRL+N, render previews is ENTER for red timeline areas or SHIFT+ENTER to force render yellow previews). Read up in the help file a bit to see the shortcut default assignments, and then peruse the keyboard shortcut editor to see which functions can be assigned a shortcut.

• 6. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
                    jules______ Level 1

Thanks Will, Christian had already revealed SHIFT + Backspace in another thread, but appreciated.

re 6) basically in FCP it is just icons that you can place at the top of different window panes. So in one I had new bin and new sequence. In another the +/- db, track locks, snap toggle etc.

I know that they can be shortcutted by keys, but i do struggle with remembering many shortcuts and it because useful for me to have those on the real estate for the limited times i wanted to use them.

I'm probably not describing it very well, hang on, let me try and do a screen grab.

FCP_icons.jpg

• 7. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
                      Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Hi Jules,

Yeah, I follow you.  I'm just saying that the only custom buttons available to you in PPro are in the source/program.  You do have buttons though already available to you for new bin / new item (if you click on it, it brings up a menu that includes new sequence, or if you drop a clip on it, it'll default to new sequence & embed), they're in the bottom right of your project window.

Cheers

• 8. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
                        TradeWind Level 3

Got it...thanks for the visual.

I'll be honest, and it's just my own personal opinion, but the look of those icons is horrifying to me. I'm very much a "keyboard editor" so a lot of icons and such never do much for me. I do everything on the keyboard (unless I can't) via the shortcuts, and I'm a very frequent editor so it doesn't take me very long to commit a shortcut to memory, especially for frequently used things.

I'll say this about the "new sequence" shortcut, I do end up creating most of my sequences automatically now by dragging-dropping footage items to the new sequence icon, which automatically sets the sequence properties based on the video/audio in the clip. This obviously doesn't work for the occasions where I'm scaling 1080 to 720 in a project, or using any kind of mis-match between the source footage items, but for most of my work, I'm keeping most assets within their shot settings.

• 9. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
                          jules______ Level 1

cheers for that Christian, will try out what you said about dragging clips to the sequence icon and see what's what. And though i too edit a lot, i have a mind that is rather sieve like so icons work for me.

Much like i need to put things i have to drop at the post box or take to a friend in the middle of the floor otherwise i'll forget to leave with them. FRONT AND CENTRE!!! It's a survival technique.

• 10. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
                            TradeWind Level 3

jules______ wrote:

Much like i need to put things i have to drop at the post box or take to a friend in the middle of the floor otherwise i'll forget to leave with them. FRONT AND CENTRE!!! It's a survival technique.

Haha! I do the same thing. I'm focused in my work, but I'm INCREDIBLY forgetful in everything else of life. I have to put everything in the floor, on the stairs, in the driver seat of my car, etc....otherwise, gone and forgotten.

Once, I even told my son to sit in the hallway and don't move because I was in such a hurry getting stuff and getting out of the house and I didn't want to end up 2 miles down the road and realize I'd forgotten something (or in this case, someone).

I'm barely in my 30's, so it's not old age memory loss. My grandpa used to say all the MSG in the Doritos were gonna give me Alzheimers (and I ate a lot of Doritos). Of course, he said some other stuff, but I can never really remember...

• 11. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 2
                              jules______ Level 1

"

Once, I even told my son to sit in the hallway and don't move because I was in such a hurry getting stuff and getting out of the house and I didn't want to end up 2 miles down the road and realize I'd forgotten something (or in this case, someone).

"

Now that.... is brilliant.