9 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 10:22 PM by jules______

FCP to PP questions: part 3

jules______

7) In FCP Shift+ALT allows me to drag a duplication of a clip onto another track, giving me two clips of the same content.

Did this get added to PP6? If so, anyone know the keyboard shortcut. If not, feature request?

8) When I open a bin and have them clips set to thumbnail, why are the clips in reverse order and how do i swap it to alphabetical order? In list mode they are in alphabetical order.

Sorry this is a real dumb question but i can't seem to see what to click to swap the order of the clips in thumbnails.

9) In FCP I have f5 set to lock all audio and f6 set to lock all video. This means if i only want the audio or the video off a clip it is easy to click the other key shortcut and close off what I don't want.

I can't seem to find a lock all audio and lock all video shortcut. Are they there and if so where?

• 1. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
          Jim_Simon Level 8

7) ALT + drag.

8) Icon view has no sortable order, other than what you manually sort to.  Only List view can be 'sorted' automatically.

9) Hold down ALT before you click and you will temporarily Unlink video and audio.

• 2. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
            jules______ Level 1

re 7) Cheers, that makes me happy

re 8) again no big deal, they just happen to be presented in reverse order in icon view which seems odd.

re 9) tried that but didn't seem to achieve anything for me. Although after posting the question i did discover the little icons allowing me to select only video or audio to drag to the timeline which are great.

will still add the lock all to my feature request list but for now am happy with that one. cheers

• 3. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
              Jim_Simon Level 8

i did discover the little icons allowing me to select only video or audio to drag to the timeline

From the source monitor yes.  I thought you were asking about from the sequence itself.  Once the clip is in a sequence, if you hold down ALT before clicking, then you can click on just the video or just the audio.

• 4. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
                TradeWind Level 3

jules______ wrote:

9) In FCP I have f5 set to lock all audio and f6 set to lock all video. This means if i only want the audio or the video off a clip it is easy to click the other key shortcut and close off what I don't want.

I can't seem to find a lock all audio and lock all video shortcut. Are they there and if so where?

You can use the headers at the head of the timeline to lock tracks, and you can assign shortcuts for that to toggle it on and off. You can also select multiple clips (use ALT to select audio independently of video for a specific clip) then right click and chose "Group" to lock clips together. You can still use the ALT modifier on grouped clips of video or audio to move single clips independently of the group.

• 5. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
                  Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

8) Icon mode, as Jim said, is a manual sort mode - the idea being it can be used for storyboarding, so you can sort the clips in rough presentation order, select them & automate to timeline (or drag to the new sequence button to create a new one & it'll auto fill the new sequence with the clips in the order you selected).  Having an auto sort in Icon mode is a feature request that I've seen several times in the past few week, so we're definitely aware, but it's always good to add your voice via our feature request page, as we pay attention to the relative popularity of the requests that come through.

9) I wasn't quite following the context here.  Jim's talking about if a linked A/V clip is already on the timeline, if you alt-click the video or the audio portion, only that portion will be selected.  Then (letting go of alt), you can drag just that selected video or audio segment if you need to deliberately slip them out of sync (and you'll get out of sync indicators showing up to tell you how much of a slip you're introducing).

There's other locks as well - you can lock individual tracks, so if you lock an audio track, you can select a group of linked video clips and have everything slip relative to the locked audio track if that's what you're looking for.

If you're talking about inserting from the source window into a sequence, then you have a few options as well:  it sounds like you've already noticed the video only/audio only icons for dragging, that's one way;  you can also use track targetting in combination with the insert/overlay shortcuts, so I could for instance disable all audio tracks in the track targetting, and my insert would then only bring over the video.  I'm probably forgetting other methods - multiple ways to skin cats here.

Cheers

• 6. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
                    jules______ Level 1

re 8) ha ha, i had no idea you could move the clips around. that's actually brilliant and really useful. if it was explained above apologies i must have missed it, or rather it didn't sink in.

that's nice.

re 9) yes i mean from the source window. I do a lot of live sessions and some music videos (for example) where i will drag video from source window or even from the bin sometimes, but usually the source window, onto the timeline and obviously don't want the audio. Usually my workflow is to in and out my clip, hit f5 (lock all audio) and just drag and drop it in place and all is good.

Sometimes i forget and the audio is on the timeline, so it is easy to select the clip/clips hit f6 (lock all video) then hit delete and all the unwanted audio is gone.

I do see how to lock tracks individually and i will try and understand what you both have said about further options, but it does seem a tad odd if we can't have a lock all audio lock all video shortcut. As was mentioned elsewhere, I guess if you use it you miss it, but i use it so often it will be frustrating adding so many additional keystrokes to work around.

But hey, i've been on board about 48 hours so I shall join the wish list queue and see what happens down the line

• 7. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
                      RDA972 Level 3

"but it does seem a tad odd if we can't have a lock all audio lock all video shortcut."

Try Shift-clicking on the lock icon.

It works for audio and video tracks.

• 8. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
                        Islanders66 Level 1

#7, I asked this not to long ago and didn't get a response. So ALT drag creates a duplicate copy? I should have tried that because that's how you create a duplicate layer in PS.

• 9. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 3
                          jules______ Level 1

Yes, that works that's great BUT I still want that allocated to a short cut key. I have gone from hitting f6/f5 to holding SHIFT and moving my mouse to the lock area and clicking. Great the feature is in there, but...

unless of course it can already be allocated and I haven't found it.