14 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2012 2:42 PM by Todd_Kopriva

FCP to PP questions: part 5

jules______

13) In FCP if you right click on a clip it shows you, amongst other info, the duration of the clip in the timeline. I can't seem to find that same information in PP. Does it exist in an easily accessible way and if so where?

14) In FCP when you have a cut in a clip you can click on the cut and hit delete and it rejoins the two parts. Can't seem to do this is PP. Is it possible and if so what am I doing wrong?

15) In the effects window i have created a favourites folder. 2 questions here. Firstly when I drag an effect into the favourites folder if the favourites folder is off the bottom of the window it won't auto scroll down to it so I have to enlarge the bottom of the window in order to have the favourites folder showing so i can drag and drop into it... so am i missing something or is this the way you have to do it

b) I can't seem to move my sub-folders around in the favourites folder. Or in fact the filters. they just sit where they want. Can I move these sub-folders around?

• 1. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

You don't need to create a bunch of different topics; all your questions could have been numbered (like you're doing) in a single thread.  I'll let the first 5 parts stand for now, but any additional "parts" will be deleted.

Jeff

• 2. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
            jules______ Level 1

Sorry Jeff. In another forum I lumped them all into one thread and there were so many it seemed a tad daunting so I thought spacing them into 3's may be better. if you want I can change them to 5 questions per post, or of course all in one. Quite happy to do either, just let me know

And again, apologies, wasn't meaning to litter the forum, genuinely thought it would be better if they were separated.

Actually, just tried editing this top post to add another there (you caught me just in time ) but I can only edit this current post? So would you rather I just add subsequent posts? if so it was that method that made it look messy in the other forum, but will do if preferred.

• 4. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
              jules______ Level 1

Cheers. Will watch them and cancel questions i have found answers for after. Cheers

• 5. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5

jules______ wrote:

Sorry Jeff. In another forum I lumped them all into one thread and there were so many it seemed a tad daunting so I thought spacing them into 3's may be better. if you want I can change them to 5 questions per post, or of course all in one. Quite happy to do either, just let me know

And again, apologies, wasn't meaning to litter the forum, genuinely thought it would be better if they were separated.

Let's let things stay the way they are for now and see what happens.  It depends a lot on how other members respond to the existing topics.

[Sidebar] I used to be able to tell when a member was new here, but with the change to the forum layout, I can't easily tell any more.  If you're new here, welcome!

Jeff

• 6. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5

Cheers. Will watch them and cancel questions i have found answers for after.

Actually, if you do find answers, it's best if the questions stay and you post any answers you find.  That way it helps others who pass by here later.

Jeff

• 7. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
                    jules______ Level 1

I am, and thanks . Have CS4 but tend to use Fireworks, Dreamweaver a little Photoshop but mainly edited on FCP so never really needed Adobe forums. Am now trying to shift over, signed up for the Creative Cloud today and imagine I will be posting a fair few in the short term whilst I wrap my head around things.

though so far my first impressions of PP CS6 are pretty good (5.5 gave me a headache, have to say) and I am feeling determined to fathom it and make the shift over totally from Apple to Adobe.

And cheers for you patience with my posting. I'll jot any subsequent questions down on a pad for now and let these first 15 run their course for now.

• 8. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
                      jules______ Level 1

Will do. No worries.

• 9. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

13) Just hold the mouse over the clip.  A Help window will pop up with relevant clip into.  You can also select it and go to the Info pane to the left.  Or right click and select Properties.

14) Can't be done.  But you can delete the right hand portion of that clip and just drag the left hand portion out again.

15) Just right click the effect and Save Preset.  It'll show up in the Presets bin, which you can rearrange.

• 10. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

One "warning" about the FAQ video series that Jeff pointed to:

In Premiere Pro CS6, we fixed some of the confusing parts that caused me to need to record those videos. For example, the video about stereo and mono trcks is moot for Premiere Pro CS6. (Hooray!)

• 11. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
                            jules______ Level 1

haha, yeah, I realised that after watching a 5.5 audio video and had a look at PP and what i had just heard didn't seem to be needed. Then I remembered reading somewhere that this had been addressed.

For now though it's more about trying to transfer my way of doing things over so 5.5 tutorials are still valid.

With audio the most frustrating thing is simply not having shortcuts for +3 db, +1db, -1db, -3db. before I would highlight a load of clips if VO chunks for example, or interview, (or a single clip sometimes if music etc.), and simply hit my shortcut as many times as i needed to amend the audio levels. Really easy. At the moment I have to click 0 for my shortcut for the gain box, then type in +3, hit enter, wait for it to render it then do it again if the volume isn't right.

Gotta say that's one going on my feedback / request list. Unless of course I'm missing something

• 12. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

You're not.

And it's a pretty good idea for a feature request.

• 13. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
                                jules______ Level 1

cheers

i have had a lot of responses on here and the other forum (from Denis actually) so i'm going to digest it all and make notes on what I can do until it becomes muscle memory and compile my features wish list then hop on over and post them and cross my fingers

i do have to say though that my brief time with PP CS6 has been far more palatable and far less frustrating than my brief time with 5.5 and I do appreciate everyone's input and solutions so far. At it's core PP does seem blinding and I am old fashioned and want tracks and I want naming conventions to remain the same and the things that seem to be missing are pretty much the little things that I have gotten used to from FCP rather than core issues so hopefully they'll come over time and in 6 months I can fondly kiss FCP7 goodbye.

Cheers all and cheers Adobe for not being riddled with hubris.

• 14. Re: FCP to PP questions: part 5
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We're happy to help. The whole point for us is to create editing tools that video editors want and need.

> cheers Adobe for not being riddled with hubris

We all know what follows hubris.

We are confident and enthused, but not cocky. ;-)