10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 12:41 PM by Noel Carboni

Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?

Noel Carboni Level 8

I use Layer Styles occasionally - e.g., Drop Shadow and Bevel & Emboss.

Seems to me I have set the defaults to be something I would find a good starting point several times now, saved them with the [ Make Default ] button, and made sure I closed Photoshop gracefully afterward.

Yet occasionally I find nonsense defaults when I add new Layer Styles (e.g., by choosing Layer - Layer Style from the menu).  Sometimes I see things like 0 for Distance, Spread, and Size in the Drop Shadow settings.  Or really huge numbers.

Of course, when I just embarked on testing it the defaults I expected to see were there.  Software behaves best when you are watching closely.

Just curious if a loss of Layer Styles defaults is something you've seen as well.

Thanks.

-Noel

• 1. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

This is still happening to me.

I thought maybe it was because occasionally I reset my Workspace, but I saved defaults then made sure I saved the Workspace and still I get the default layer styles lost.

Is anyone else seeing this?  Or is it just that no one sets their own defaults for Layer Styles and always just sets the values when you use them.

Specifically, I'm talking about setting some defaults I often use, then pressing the button shown here:

SaveDefaults.png

Then later I go to add a new Drop Shadow layer style to a layer and find the Distance / Spread / Size to be completely bogus numbers, like 0 or 196.  Sometimes it doesn't happen right away.  I also see it lose its memory of the default Bevel & Emboss settings.

It's just infrequent enough to be annoying, but since the release of Photoshop CS6 I've been watching it like a hawk, and it's just lost them again today.  I'm not resetting preferences or having crashes.  It seems to be either a bona fide prefs corruption bug or some operation in the normal course of using Photoshop on other images causes the values to be changed somehow.

It's done this for as long as I can remember, back through a bunch of Photoshop versions.

Anyone willing to try setting some specific defaults, then check later to see if they're remembered correctly?  A fix or workaround for this (or even just understanding why it does it) would brighten my days a little bit, as whenever I go to use Layer Styles and I have to adjust several parameters I grit my teeth.

Thanks.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Crickets!

So can I assume this is a feature *no one* here uses?

-Noel

• 3. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
              acresofgreen Level 4

I just did a quick test with drop shadow settings, and after pressing the Make Default button, they were remembered in other documents and after closing and re-starting Photoshop. But since you say that the phenomenon only happens infrequently, my quick test doesn't prove anything.  I never used that button before but I can keep an eye on it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Thanks; I was beginning to wonder if I hadn't expressed the problem well enough.

I guess most folks who do use Layer Styles regularly just set all the sliders as needed every time - which is my workaround.  But after making about the eleventy seventh set of beveled arrows with drop shadows I got this ambitious idea that I might be able to have them default to the settings I need - which (as for you) initially worked but only for a while.

Please let me know if you see it lose the defaults you set.

I do know this:  Adobe ought to be interested in this.  There's a bug in which Photoshop Help pops up that's been in Photoshop since time began, and a lot of people report seeing it when working on layer styles.  There are also issues where preferences just get corrupted (though I don't seem to have that, outside this small thing).  My geek sense says that if they could work out what's happening with this loss-of-defaults issue they might just stumble onto the solution(s) for some of the others.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
                  Paulo Skylar Level 4

I've not noticed the problem previously, though that means little. In two days of use since I've paid attention, all my settings have been retained throughout normal use and through the closing and reopening of Photoshop numerous times and through some power cycling of the system.

Paulo

• 6. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

In fact, I've just seen it again.

Note the styles that I had set as default in the image I posted above.  This is what I see today:

LayerStylesDefaultBug.png

Even if I change them, pressing the [ Reset to Default ] button returns them to this setting.  Clearly some of the default settings for the Drop Shadow layer style (in this case, Angle, Distance, and Size, but not Spread and several others) have been corrupted.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Thank you, Paulo.

I don't doubt that it's possible something else I have going on here - video driver version, some other software, something *I* do, or who knows what - may be influencing this.

Thing is, across multiple Photoshop versions, across multiple setups and systems, and literally YEARS of time, I have NEVER seen Photoshop retain these default settings for very long.  And as it turns out right now I have virtually nothing else failing (Photoshop CS6 is quite stable for me), so it's a bit of a mystery how just these particular settings could be getting corrupted.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
                        Paulo Skylar Level 4

Noel,

Yea, you have something going on there - I'll keep watching here.

"I guess most folks who do use Layer Styles regularly just set all the sliders as needed every time - which is my workaround.  But after making about the eleventy seventh set ......"

What I do everytime I need something more than eleventy six times is that I create a New Style from that layer style dialog - then simply click on the style when I need it.  Have you ever noticed your styles being corrupted?

Paulo

• 9. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Thank you for that thought - I simply haven't used the Layer Styles presets that much because the little buttons just didn't seem inviting nor easy to differentiate, but since I don't use all the preset ones I'll just delete them so my favorite one is all that's there.  I'll see if going through those motions will help me get more directly to a result and avert this issue (and of course I'll watch for loss of the saved style).  I'll likely start building up my own favorite styles list then.

Great tip!

-Noel

• 10. Re: Do You Occasionally Lose Your Layer Style Defaults?
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Noel Carboni wrote:

I do know this:  Adobe ought to be interested in this.  There's a bug in which Photoshop Help pops up that's been in Photoshop since time began, and a lot of people report seeing it when working on layer styles.  There are also issues where preferences just get corrupted (though I don't seem to have that, outside this small thing).  My geek sense says that if they could work out what's happening with this loss-of-defaults issue they might just stumble onto the solution(s) for some of the others.

Heh heh, I'll just add:  After manipulating the list of Styles, then double-clicking the Effects entry in the Layers panel just now I've had Photoshop Help pop open twice on its own.

My geek sense is not often wrong.

-Noel