6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2012 9:22 PM by MJFeliciano

Mercury Transmit IO

Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

While watching the Spanish Grand Prix I just thought about raising the issue about 3rd party IO cards for Premiere Pro CS6 as they are now fully supported.

In April 2010 I purchased a Matrox RT X2 card and two weeks down the line CS5 was launched. I tried unsuccessfully to RMA the card. However I  ended up using the RT X2 and the drivers for CS5 did not come until after 6 months. This was a very long wait and had to wait  to upgrade to CS5.

Following the CS6 launch Matrox will not be supporting RT X2 users or Axio. Having spend a phenomenal price on this product I find it really insulting and gives me a second thought on buying their products again. I have been in the business for 5 years and  since using the RT X2 I was able to offer my clients a preview monitor via the analogue. I was also able to do multicamera editing of he 4 cameras on my dv monitor, and had the ability to see the focused and unfocused shots.

But my major question to those who have been in the trade for such a long time, is it really worth investing in these components, Matrox, Aja or Blackmagic, when there is a posibility that you may end up with the component as a DOOR stopper, like Harm said? Whish is the best card to go for?

• 1. Re: Mercury Transmit IO
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Personally I will not use any third party card like AJA, BM or Matrox. For my workflow and with the capability of the Kepler cards to steer up to 4 monitors, it makes no sense to me. Rather than spending money on a third party card, I rather invest it in my system and be rid of waiting for working drivers to come out.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mercury Transmit IO
            Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

Thanks for your input. That signifies that an Adobe feature will be ignored by you Harm!

• 3. Re: Mercury Transmit IO
              Harm Millaard Level 7

What feature would that be?

• 4. Re: Mercury Transmit IO
                Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

This feature is called Mercury Transmit or Adobe Transmit and has been designed to work with 3rd party IO. I have used Adobe preview and when the camera pans, the display is just not so good as compared to Matrox. I think BM and AJA users should help in this thread.

• 5. Re: Mercury Transmit IO
                  Jim Curtis Level 3

But my major question to those who have been in the trade for such a long time, is it really worth investing in these components, Matrox, Aja or Blackmagic, when there is a posibility that you may end up with the component as a DOOR stopper, like Harm said? Whish is the best card to go for?

Every computer thing we buy now will be a door stopper eventually.  The trick is to get value for your investment before that day arrives, and to go with a company that wants you as a customer for life.

IMO, if you live in North America, AJA is the way to go.  Their products and support are excellent.  I hear negative stories about support for Matrox and BMD, but you might be able to find some for AJA as well.  Since Bluefish is Australian, they don't have as much of a market in North America, but I hear good things about them.  Being in Texas, I'm wary of a company so far away without a significant VAR presence.  AJA can overnight ship me a replacement, if needed.  And there are numerous VARs in the USA who keep the entire AJA product line in stock.  So, you can infer that minimal downtime is an important issue for me.

Since I do video as a business, I've learned to not let price be a significant factor in buying decisions.  Reliability and support are critical.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Mercury Transmit IO
                    MJFeliciano Level 1

Having an IO card or interface is very convenient for many workflows; you know sometimes you need to use a real video monitor or need to capture from tape via Component, SDI or even HDMI. But I agree, the driver situation is a real issue, especially when you are using various NLEs in the same system.