15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 3:49 PM by Willi Adelberger

Drop shadow causes dark text

rabeckab

InDesign CS5.5 - Adding a drop shadow, or any transparency effect, to an image, causes all the text in the spread to go dark, as if it were changed to a bold font. Having the image on a different layer (above or below the text layer) doesn't help. Text on other spreads in the document is unaffected.

You can actually see this happen right in the Effects dialog. I click Drop Shadow, the shadow appears and the text goes dark. I click off the Drop Shadow, the shadow disappears and the text returns to normal. Anyone know what's happening?

Thanks,

Barbara

• 1. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is a known issue with screen dispaly and transparency.

• 2. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
            rabeckab Level 1

Thank you! I'm preparing something for a commercial printer, and hadn't printed out anything on my own system. I just tried exporting to pdf, with and without drop shadows and the pdf is fine. Guess I'll just wait and add the drop shadows at the end so the display isn't messed up...

• 3. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text

The good news is that in general the "emboldening" of text in the presence of tansparency does not show up in high-resolution aoutput like offset printing.

• 4. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                rabeckab Level 1

I made a test print on my Epson inkjet, and also exported to pdf. Both were fine, confirming it's just a display problem. I'll be supplying the commercial printer with a pdf, so everything's good. Thanks again...

• 5. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                  GonzoOne

I wish this were all true.

My CS 5.5 displays the fonts as though in bold and prints in PDF and house printer with DARKER fonts. It does not do what the others above are seeing.

And since it's software, and computer based, why can't ADOBE fix this immediately and send out the update?

• 6. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                    NutterWEI

I am having this same issue: when adding a drop shadow to an object, it darkens the tet of the entire spread...which is also darker in the print quality PDF export. So it is not just  a display issue. Any updated help on this? Running CS6 on Windows.

• 7. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                      rabeckab Level 1

Afraid not from me. I'm still seeing the effect, but in my case it IS a display problem. My pdf's and prints are fine. Hope someone else can chime in.

Barbara

• 8. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text

@ NutterWEI, how do you know it isn't a display issue/low res print issue? Are you jusdging actual print ooutput, or looking at the PDF on screen or a printed proof from a low-res device? I've never seen this show on press output.

• 9. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                          NutterWEI Level 1

I am both looking at it on screen as a PDF (it will be electronicly sent as well) AND I also printing it on our office Konica (high quality, but not print-shop quality). Both the high-res PDF and the print show darker text.

• 10. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

NutterWEI wrote:

… office Konica (high quality, but not print-shop quality). Both the high-res PDF and the print show darker text.

This IS a low-res-device! Not a press output. Offset printing works with device resolution We are talking about 2500DPI (not ppi!!!!!!!!).

• 11. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                              rabeckab Level 1

>> This IS a low-res-device! Not a press output. Offset printing works with device resolution We are talking about 2500DPI <<

Maybe, but nothing like that is needed to see the more typical problem. My text is dark on the monitor when viewed in InDesign, but when I export to a std pdf file, or print it on my Epson inkjet or office laser printer, it looks fine.

• 12. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text

rabeckab wrote:

>> This IS a low-res-device! Not a press output. Offset printing works with device resolution We are talking about 2500DPI <<

Maybe, but nothing like that is needed to see the more typical problem. My text is dark on the monitor when viewed in InDesign, but when I export to a std pdf file, or print it on my Epson inkjet or office laser printer, it looks fine.

You're lucky. Even a 1200 dpi device will often show the text emboldened.

• 13. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                                  NutterWEI Level 1

I print documents with drop shadows to this device all the time and this is the first issue I have ever had. Most importantly: The document is going to be sent out electronically as well. I need the high-res PDF to not show all the text darkened. Is there some export setting or document preset at is causing this issue? Again, I have never had this problem before. Everyone is talking how this is a "known issue" and how it will be fine when printed on a shop quality printer, but this doesn't address electronic dissemination. I'll get a proof from the shop before it's printed to determine if the text is bolded or not - but I still have no way to fix how it appears on screen, in a high-res PDF, that will be sent out electronically. Thank you for the help.

• 14. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                                    lstrong77

I am still having a problem with bolder text near images with transparency. I've tried placing them on different layers which doesn't work. Is there a solution? Saying that it's a known issue is not a solution.

• 15. Re: Drop shadow causes dark text
                                      Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

lstrong77 schrieb:

I am still having a problem with bolder text near images with transparency. I've tried placing them on different layers which doesn't work. Is there a solution? Saying that it's a known issue is not a solution.

Not only on different layers. Did you put the layer with the text ABOVE the layer with the image with transparency effect?