5 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2012 5:53 PM by Todd_Kopriva

CS6 subscription

Christopher Duncan Level 2

It may just be one of those days when I'm too stupid to operate a computer, but I'm not quite following how the new creative cloud / subscription model works.

I'm wondeirng if I have to keep paying the subscription in order to use the software or if, like Microsoft's MSDN subscriptions, it's just a model whereby I get whatever version's released while my subscription is active.

As an example, I'm currently using CS4. Skipped 5 and 5.5 because I haven't upgraded to a 64 bit box yet. Even so, CS4 still works just fine. However, if I sign up for CS6 and after a year decide not to renew, does CS6 keep working or do I get locked out of it?

• 1. Re: CS6 subscription
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

To install CS6 you must have an active online connection to verify your license or subscription.  Subscription users then need to connect to the internet for verification at least once every 30 days, or you'll be locked out of CS6 applications.

Many questions are answered here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

• 2. Re: CS6 subscription

Hi, Andrew.

Thanks for the info. By the way, the faq link redirects to the main page. That said, I was able to find the faq there.

If I decide I want to buy my individual Creative Suite applications rather than access them through Creative Cloud, do I need to reinstall them?

I hope this means that Adobe will contine to allow customers to simply buy (a license to) their products rather than subscribe to the cloud. If it reaches a point where I have to keep paying every year whether I want the upgrade or not, I'll probably start looking at alternatives rather than submit to what feels a bit like extortion.

• 3. Re: CS6 subscription
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> To install CS6 you must have an active online connection to verify your license or subscription.

Not true.

That is true if you use the Creative Cloud Membership subscription option, but it's not true if you don't. If you use the "old" way of just buying the perpetual license, your computer never has to be connected to the Internet.

> I hope this means that Adobe will contine to allow customers to simply buy (a license to) their products rather than subscribe to the cloud.

Yes. There is absolutely no plan to take this tried and true option away. The Creative Cloud Membership subscription is just an additional option.

> If it reaches a point where I have to keep paying every year whether I want the upgrade or not, I'll probably start looking at alternatives rather than submit to what feels a bit like extortion.

There's no reason for any of this to feel at all like extortion. You have the same options that you've always had. Now you have another one, too. If you don't want to rent/lease, then don't.

The Creative Cloud Membership susbscription option is exactly like renting your home or leasing your car. When you stop paying, you can't use it any longer.

As someone who rents my home but bought my motorcycle and car, I like being able to pick which payment model to use for different kinds of goods and services.

• 4. Re: CS6 subscription

My use of extortion was perhaps excessively snarky, for which I apologize. I was under the impression that the cloud / subscription approach was going to replace the traditional method, hence the frustration (the marketing information on this stuff could perhaps be a bit more clear).

Anyway, great news. I love options, and may even try the subscription route one day. Just wanted to make sure my investment in software and learning weren't headed to an ultimatum, so life is good.

• 5. Re: CS6 subscription
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> the marketing information on this stuff could perhaps be a bit more clear

You'll get no argument from me on that.