3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2012 4:40 AM by Peter Spier

Graphic Frames Corrupted When Exporting to PDF

jack_kc

I'm trying to figure out what is happening to random graphic frames in my InDesign document.  I'm working in a 68 page document.  I exported to PDF using the lo-res no bleed setting.  The PDF exported fine but when I went back to my InDesign doc, some of my graphic frames had changed to blank white frames.  The links still appeared on the links panel but it showed them as on the pasteboard.  When I clicked the PB link to view the object, it zoomed in to a tiny object in the gutter of the spread.  When I tried to enlarge the object, I got an error saying the object would leave the pasteboard.  I then looked in the control panel and all the coordinates and measuremends said NaN.  I'm working with InDesign CS 5.5 version 7.5.3 on OS X Lion version 10.7.3.  The frames contained either placed PSD files or placed PDF files.  It seems to have affected random frames on various pages.  I've spent 3 hours searching Google and these forums but haven't found a similar post.  This is a brand new system that has been in production for less than two weeks.  I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jack

• 1. Re: Graphic Frames Corrupted When Exporting to PDF
          John Hawkinson Level 5

NaN indicates "Not a Number," the result of an invalid floating point arithmetic operation, like division by zero. That's not necessarily helpful.

Have you tried exporting to IDML and opening that, to see if it clears the problem?

This does sound like a new problem.

• 2. Re: Graphic Frames Corrupted When Exporting to PDF
            jack_kc Level 1

I stupidly started trying to figure out what was going on rather than immediately doing a save as and within about 3 minutes InDesign crashed. When I relaunched and reopened my document, not only were my graphic frames still messed up but all of the content on about 5 other pages were completely gone, frames and all. This is the weirdest thing that I've ever seen in InDesign. I understand the concept of NaN. I just mentioned it because it seemed like part of the problem. Thanks for your reply.  What makes this even more interesting is that this isn't the first time that I've seen this. About 6 months ago, I saw the same issue happen to another user on another machine. At that time we couldn't really track down any details because the document was last accessed at the end of the day on a Friday and we didn't figure it out until Monday morning. The only thing that the two workstations have in common is that the documents and resources were stored on the same server. Could it be an issue with using InDesign files stored remotely vs locally?

• 3. Re: Graphic Frames Corrupted When Exporting to PDF
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Indeed it could be.