21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2015 9:15 AM by paducahn79905878 RSS

Making an editable PDF Form non-editable (a shortcut)

HannahSDesign Community Member

How to make a PDF form non-editable or locked.

For those who aren't script-savvy, I believe this may be a little shortcut to editing a PDF form and then saving and sending it as a non-editable or locked PDF.

This is what I have written out for my client, whom I provided an editable PDF Form, so they could edit the PDF and then send it out to their own respective clients as a NON-editable PDF.

Instructions as follows:

How to save your PDF Form into a separate non-editable PDF to send to your client: (Using Adobe Acrobat Professional)

Step 1. Fill out the original PDF Form

Step 2. Once finished, go to “File” menu and click “Save a Copy” - title the file appropriately and save it to the desktop.

Step 3. Close the editable PDF document and do not save it (Saving it will save over the original file). Now open up the PDF you’ve just saved to

the desktop (you’ll now take the steps to make this file only non-editable).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Step 4. In the top menu, go to “Advanced” then select in that drop down menu “Security” then “Show Security Properties” - a ‘Document Properties’ window will now appear.

Step 5. From this new window, select the “Security” Menu.  Set your ‘Security Method’ to ‘Password Security’.

Step 6. A new window will appear named ‘Password Security Settings’. In this menu, tick the box that says “Restrict Editing & Printing of the document”

you’ll need to a) set a password for it,  and  b) In the ‘Printing Allowed’ drop down box, select ‘high resolution’   and if you want to, tick the

box that says ‘allow the copying of text, images and other content’

Step 7. Click OK and Save the document. Now it’s not editable unless you have the password.

Note: If you happen to want to edit the PDF at a later date, you can open the file and in the ‘Security settings’ menu on the left hand side

(the menu is represented as a little gold lock) click ‘Permission Details’ then ‘Change Settings’ to revert everything back to an editable document

- repeat the above steps to make it a locked document again.