5 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 7:40 AM by eiriksvensen

Generate text from the effect controls

eiriksvensen

Is it possible to generate text from a textfield (or something similar) from the effect controls?

I have an Adjustment Layer with a custom effect on it with a Slider, two Color pickers and four Checkboxes.

Can I somehow add a textfield that the user can input text in, and then link this to a text layer in the composition?

The reason I want this, is because the user can add all the information in one effect, instead of having multiple text layers to edit.

I don't think there is a textbox for this, but is there anpther way? Let's say I add an effect that has a dynamic name, that I can link up to the source text of my textlayers in the composition.

Any help would be much appreciated

Eirik

• 1. Re: Generate text from the effect controls
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No, there are no input fields, list controls, pop-ups etc. as expression controls. We've been asking for this for years, but apparently Adobe thinks that other stuff is more important... Anyway, it's perfectly possible to create code to dynamically address items based on text or otehr criteria, but unless you are more specific, I'm afraid we can't really help you. Post the code and explain what you want to do.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Generate text from the effect controls
            eiriksvensen Level 1

Thank you for fast reply!:)

Ok, then I guess it can't be done, not the way I hoped anyway.

Skjermbilde 2012-05-14 kl. 15.51.52.png

This is the effect I have made. I have linked the properties to other layers.

What I wanted was an input field where the user inputs for example "My Title". The source text of my text field in the composition would then update to "My Title".

I know I could probably do this by code, but then the original point kinda disappears. It should be easy for the user to adjust the settings under one effect, instead of having to adjust it multiple places.

I guess the user have to edit the textfield in the comp by actually going into the layer (doubleclick it/highlight it with the text tool etc.) unless you have a genius workaround? (Please say you do:P)

Eirik

• 3. Re: Generate text from the effect controls
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Any property can be addressed with the .name method and returns a string and effects can be renamed, can they not?! ... If that doesn't give you any ideas or it isn't good enough, then editing some text layer/source text property natively is your only other option, though that doesn't mean it wil lhave to be the layer you use for animation...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Generate text from the effect controls
                eiriksvensen Level 1

I know I can make like a control panel that's linked to my animation, but then again, the user would have to edit the text natively.

Your other idea is brilliant! I have thought of making two empty effects that the user can rename, but I don't know how to find the .name of my effect. And how do I write the code so that the source text is the same as the .name of my effect?

Thanks again for your help!

Eirik

• 5. Re: Generate text from the effect controls
                  eiriksvensen Level 1

Nevermind, I got it!

Thank you so much!

Eirik