11 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 2:59 PM by PavloK

Drop Cap problem

PavloK

When text in TextFrame is aligned to baseline and scaled - Drop Cap becomes too large and hangs over text. Is it an InDesign bug or I've missed something?

Here is an example of such behaviour: scale is 200%, drop cap size is 8 lines. I'm using InDesign CS5.5.

DropCap.png

• 1. Re: Drop Cap problem
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you describe how you scaled the text, and which text inthe frame is being scaled?

• 2. Re: Drop Cap problem
            PavloK Level 1

One can use this script to produce document with this bug (or behaviour?):

#target indesign

function main() {

//create new document

var document = app.documents.add();

document.viewPreferences.horizontalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.pixels;    // horizontal ruler - in pixels

document.viewPreferences.verticalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.pixels;    // vertical ruler - in pixels

document.viewPreferences.textSizeMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.pixels;    // text size - in pixels

document.gridPreferences.baselineStart = 36;        //baseline start for 36 pixels

document.gridPreferences.baselineDivision = 36;    //baseline every 36 pixels

var page = document.pages.add(); //create new page

var frame = page.textFrames.add(); //create new textframe with default font settings (Minion Pro Regular, 12px)

frame.geometricBounds = [20,20,400,200]; //set bounds to text frame

var s = "";

for (var i = 0; i < 100; ++i) {

s += "text "; //create some long text

}

frame.contents = s; //fill frame with text

frame.texts[0].alignToBaseline = true; //align text to baseline

frame.texts[0].dropCapCharacters = 1; //add drop cap with 1 character

frame.texts[0].dropCapLines = 8; //and 8 line height

frame.absoluteHorizontalScale = 200; //scale the textframe by 200%

frame.absoluteVerticalScale = 200; //uniformly

}

main();

I know that redefine scaling to 100% fixes everything, but it is not an option for me (because it affects text reflow, text wrap offset, etc). Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Drop Cap problem
              PavloK Level 1

P.S. Here is a screenshot of document created by the script I've posted in previous message:

bug_example.png

I also tried to change font size of drop cap character (first character of text), but it still hangs over text on the same baseline. Looks like this (first character size is 1px):

bug_example2.png

• 4. Re: Drop Cap problem

I don't really know if this is a bug or not, but it seems to be the result of having the preference for scaling set to Adjust Scaling Percentage instead of Apply to Content.

• 5. Re: Drop Cap problem
                  PavloK Level 1

Thanks for response. As I've mentioned scaling with Apply to Content turned on (just as usage of redefine scaling to 100%) has lots of drawbacks, maybe there is some other option?

• 6. Re: Drop Cap problem

Maybe you should tell us the whole story.

What are you trying to accomplish? Why do you need to scale the text frame?

• 7. Re: Drop Cap problem
                      PavloK Level 1

I have a large document with dozens of text frames with text threading, text wrapping and so on. I need to change size of the document (simply "zoom" it by some percentage). I've tried to select all and scale - everything seems to be ok, except these ugly drop caps

• 8. Re: Drop Cap problem

Instead of using the global baseline grid, add a custom grid to the textframes (you can add it as part of an object style). That seems to do what you need.

• 9. Re: Drop Cap problem
                          PavloK Level 1

Thanks a lot! That solved the issue

What about uisng global baseline grid? Should I send a bug report?

• 10. Re: Drop Cap problem

Wouldn't hurt. If it's a bug and not "as designed" (and I don't know why it would be designed that way), then it's still there in CS6. It won't, most likely, get changed for CS5.5, and maybe not for CS6 either, but perhaps in the next version.

• 11. Re: Drop Cap problem
                              PavloK Level 1

OK. I've sent a report. Hope it will be fixed asap.

Thanks for your help, have a nice day.