4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 11:03 AM by D Fosse

Need help buying a PC for a graphics designer.

inex78

Hi,

I have a user that uses a desktop maskin basically only for Photoshop. I have my eyes on the following PC but im not sure if it is good enough for working with photoshop.

I would  appreciate all the help i can get. for exemple, should there be more CPU or a better Grapic card.

Precision T1600

Intel Xeon E3-1225, 3,1 GHz, Quad Core CPU

16GB RAM

1GB nVidia Quadro 600 (DP,DVI)

Windows 7 pro, 64Bit

/Hilmar

• 1. Re: Need help buying a PC for a graphics designer.
          Curt Y Level 7

Lots of posts on this subject.  Might do a search for it.

One of prime concerns is hard drives.  Think 3 internals are recommended for a start.  Depending on budget some are using SSD at least for the main program drive.

• 2. Re: Need help buying a PC for a graphics designer.
            Noel Carboni Level 8

The Dell Precision line is excellent for Photoshop and graphics work.  I have been using Precision workstations myself for 12 years, and they have never disappointed me.  Make sure the RAM is ECC (not sure you can get a Precision without it, but check), and Curt's idea of using SSD is a good one.  Overprovision it with several SSDs in RAID0 and you can get truly insane performance.  With SSD performance you don't need to worry about multiple drive letters - everything could conceivably be on drive C:.

I might choose a different video card, though.  I'm not fond of nVidia.

A possible alternative is to buy an off-lease Precision workstation from eBay.  You could potentially get more hardware for the same money - possibly a dual processor 6 core system (12 cores total), and often with an extendable Dell warranty still intact.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Need help buying a PC for a graphics designer.
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Just as an example:  Single 6 core processor (with potential to install a second processor in the future), 24 GB RAM:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5500-T5400-Six-Core-Xeon-6C-3-46GHz-X5690-24GB-1TB -5900-Retail-/350565029870?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item519f4dd7ee

This system would likely outperform the new one you're considering.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Need help buying a PC for a graphics designer.
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Noel Carboni wrote:

I'm not fond of nVidia.

Me neither. I had a NVidia card in one workstation, which I finally got to behave in Photoshop after going through...a number...of driver versions. Problems were legion: stuttering and jerky sliders, disappearing cursor, flashing tiles display, crashes, even BSOD's. But in the end I found a version that worked.

Then I bought Lightroom 4. Sliders would take two seconds to respond, and another three to four for the display to update. Switching between two images was agony. It was totally and utterly useless.

The other machine has an ATI 5850 and has never given me any problems. So I thought what the heck, bought an ATI 6670 card - and all the Lightroom problems went away, just like that.

My totally unscientific conclusion is this: NVidia is for kids playing games. People doing serious work should stay with ATI.