5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2012 9:13 AM by Muppet Mark

Cannot open a file by Applescript

Alan Shutko Level 1

With Photoshop CS6, I am getting an error trying to open a file. This breaks a few of my scripts which continue to work with CS5.

This code, copied almost exactly from the CS6 Applescript Reference, returns

error "Adobe Photoshop CS6 got an error: File some object wasn’t found." number -43

Passing myFilePath to Finder works perfectly fine to open the alias.

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS6"

set myFilePath to alias "Macintosh HD:Users:ats:Downloads:Photoshop-CS6-AppleScript-Ref.pdf"

tell application "Finder"

open myFilePath

end tell

open myFilePath as PDF with options {class:PDF open options, height:pixels 100, width:pixels 200, mode:RGB, resolution:72, use antialias:true, page:1, constrain proportions:false}

end tell

• 1. Re: Cannot open a file by Applescript
          Muppet Mark Level 5

That's from the guide? Hum looks back to front to me… You want Finder or system events to get the file path and Photoshop to open it…

• 2. Re: Cannot open a file by Applescript
            Alan Shutko Level 1

Technically, the guide was:

set myFilePath to alias "Data:docsamples:testfiles:PdfTest.pdf" open myFilePath as PDF with options ¬

{class:PDF open options, height:pixels 100, width:pixels 200, ¬

mode:RGB, resolution:72, use antialias:true, page:1, ¬

constrain proportions:false}

end tell

I modified it to fit my pathname, and added the tell block for Finder to test whether the file alias was openable.

• 3. Re: Cannot open a file by Applescript
              Muppet Mark Level 5

Photoshop messed up quite a lot of peoples AppleScripts with CS5 it didn't like Finder alias specifiers it preferred strings… Setting a file as alias should confrim the path existence…

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cannot open a file by Applescript
                Alan Shutko Level 1

Thanks. That hint got me going.  I ended up moving the alias down a line from setting myFilePath to the open command. This works.

set myFilePath to "Macintosh HD:Users:ats:Downloads:Photoshop-CS6-AppleScript-Ref.pdf"

open alias myFilePath as PDF with options {class:PDF open options, height:pixels 100, width:pixels 200, mode:RGB, resolution:72, use antialias:true, page:1, constrain proportions:false}

end tell

• 5. Re: Cannot open a file by Applescript
                  Muppet Mark Level 5

Yeah that looks better… I don't have CS6 so I wasn't able to check… With CS5 things changed with using File & Alias I wasn't too sure if it had been swapped back… Untested…

set myFilePath to "Macintosh HD:Users:ats:Downloads:Photoshop-CS6-AppleScript-Ref.pdf" -- a string

-- then coerce inside tell app block

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS5"

open alias myFilePath as PDF with options ¬

{class:PDF open options, height:pixels 100, width:pixels 200, mode:RGB, resolution:72, use antialias:true, page:1, constrain proportions:false}

end tell

-- ditto here

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS5"

open file myFilePath as PDF with options ¬

{class:PDF open options, height:pixels 100, width:pixels 200, mode:RGB, resolution:72, use antialias:true, page:1, constrain proportions:false}

end tell