4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2012 12:22 PM by mmart33

Replace graphic frame fixed

mmart33

Hi all,

I have in design and have a generic 4"x2.5" label that we place on dispenser cartons.  The label size needs to stay the same and I need to add a 1/8" bleed around the label so when it prints, no white shows.

Is there a way to easily have a fixed frame for me to easily drop a new label in by double clicking an empty or currently occupied label in the frame that opens up my pictures?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Replace graphic frame fixed
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think maybe we need n more details...

What exactly are you printing/laying out? Single labels, sheets of  labels, boxes? This is probably also a case where some screen shots  might help. Use the camera icon onthe web page to embed them in your  post like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 2. Re: Replace graphic frame fixed
            mmart33 Level 1

gpl example inddesign.jpg

Okay.  here is a sample label.  the blue/purple rectangle is the actual label size.  The outer rectangle is the bleed area.  1/8" from the label.  I would like to be able to click on the area of the label size and be able to replace an image simply.  Then be able to select the bleed and add bleed or leave white if applicable. 

I may be using the wrong program.  I have other Adobe products.  But just want to create some template so all the user has to do is select the current image and replace with a new image that is fixed to proportion to the current frame.

Does this make sense?  Is there some other program I should be using?

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: Replace graphic frame fixed
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure if I understand the problem or not, but here's my take on things.

Since CS5 you've been able to specify a preference to preserve dimensions or scale when relinking. In this case, if all of the art for your lables is palced at 100% I think it ought to work to simply make your frames the size of the bleed and center the content. Art with a bleed will include it, art without should have empty space surrounding. Selecting an image shold highlight it in the links panel where you can just click the button to relink, but I'd bet if you askl over in scripting someone either can or already has written a startup script to add relink to the context menu.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Replace graphic frame fixed
                mmart33 Level 1

First off, I want to say thank you for being so helpful and responsive.

Secondly, you hit the main points I was worried about.  The RELINK button is perfect for what I need.  I bought the CS5 package from a student discount and it came with indesign, illustrator, and photoshop along with a few others.  So I was trying to find the program that would suit this idea best. 

As for the bleed, I basically need to create these labels (or have them created from our customers) in another program like photoshop I am guessing and make the files where 4"x2.5" is what we want to print and create a 1/8" bleed around that, then center it in a bleed sized frame in InDesign?

I guess I was hoping there was something easier to make sure you see what the 4x2.5 label will look like then add the bleed.

Thanks again!