4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 12:05 AM by Pharther Phurther

Anyone using a 12 Core Mac Pro? I have HORRIBLE performance issues .. Help!

Pharther Phurther Level 1

After the latest 10.7.4 Mac OS X update I have extremely horrible performance issues with AE ... and they were not so great before the update.

It is still stabilizing ... but an 1:19 clip in SD is taking 12 HOURS TO analyze and stabilize. !!!

The 12 cores are barely being used and this problem has been an issue since I purchased the suite over a year ago.

Does anyone else have problems using AE on their 12 CORE MAC PRO?

REPLY ONLY IF YOU HAVE A 12 CORE MAC PRO PLEASE.

There must be a problem because since the update ... Adobe Encore is PERFECT .. and ALL 12 CORES MAX OUT and the encoding is quick!!

I also have major problems between PP and AE using Dynamic link .. and slow renders in PP.

Everything else works fine .. other apps / other vendors.

I am calling Adobe today.

• 1. Re: Anyone using a 12 Core Mac Pro? I have HORRIBLE performance issues .. Help!

This gets even better .. AE reports that there is not enough room on the startup disk to finish the stabilization without prior warning ... then forces me to quit .. and I lost ALL of the 12 HOURS it took to analyze and stabilize.

IF this is the case ... why does the "Media" cashe not warn .. or at least check to see available space ... or why is it on the startup disk.

Please dont tell me something stupid like "You can change it in the preferences" ... which is obvious.

What is not known is that the "Cache" ( Media or Disk ) capacity should ALWAYS have 100 GB available .. and what needs to be saved vs. what should be ""cleaned" out.

Cont ...

• 2. Re: Anyone using a 12 Core Mac Pro? I have HORRIBLE performance issues .. Help!
            J2M2012 Level 1

I'm using a 12-core Mac Pro, and enjoy great performances with AE CS5, but not with CS6.

I'd like to help, but you really need to be more specific about your case.

The very least would be to specify what version of AE you're using, and your amount of RAM...

• 3. Re: Anyone using a 12 Core Mac Pro? I have HORRIBLE performance issues .. Help!

Thank you for your time.

I am using a 12 Core 2.93 GHZ with 32 GB RAAM and a NVidia GTX 285.

I also have a Areca 1212 PCI RAID Card. ( NOTE: I HAVE A SERIOUS RAID DRIVER PROBLEM NOW. THE RAID IS DISCONNECTED )

Mac OS X 10.7.4

Adobe Master Suite 5.5

The Apple "Console" app logs a whole lot of these three Adobe related errors:

1. 5/18/12 2:10:16.260 AM aeselflink: CFURLCreateWithString was passed this invalid URL string: '/System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework' (a file system path instead of an URL string). The URL created will not work with most file URL functions. CFURLCreateWithFileSystemPath or CFURLCreateWithFileSystemPathRelativeToBase should be used instead.

2.) 5/18/12 2:10:16.331 AM aeselflink: -[NSMenu menuID]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1183100e0

5/18/12 2:10:17.333 AM aeselflink: -[NSMenu menuID]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x115625740

3.) 5/18/12 2:11:18.596 AM [0x0-0x9b09b].com.adobe.aerendercore: You have at least one output module template that refers to a missing output plug-in.  Please check your Output Module Templates.

Only half of my hyperthreaded processors are active when using AE "Warp Stabilizer". This issue was addressed before in the Forums. There was no solution. I dont' know if it is any better in CS 6.

Also the automatic saving of all linked compositions while using the dynamic link feature bewteen PP and AE causes huge inoperatable waiting times .. unbearable. My guess is that the new "Global Performance Cache " fixes this ... which I consider update to a terrible problem .. but they sell it as a feature ( Ill go into that later.

Question:

What RAID card are you using?

Do you use the Warp Stabilizer?

• 4. Re: Anyone using a 12 Core Mac Pro? I have HORRIBLE performance issues .. Help!

I moved the project due to a incompatablity with OS X 10.7.4 and my Areca 1212 RAID Driver.

The same clip estimated over 800 min. to Analyze ( 1:15 ) on a 7,200 RPM internal drive.

The RAID 0 was much faster .. but may have issues ( listed below )

Also .. It was recommended to segment the clip so I would not lose the analyzing and stabilizing all in one error.

It's a good idea .. but I'm testing this once more before I do it.