7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 5:10 AM by station_two

Photoshop Crashes and Settings Reset

Lynda-S Level 4

Occasionally Photoshop will crash or I have to force close Photoshop. When this happens the settings within Photoshop reset back to the default settings. This is a pain as I must then go back and reset everything again. This has been happening since CS5 and also happens in CS6. Are there any ways to prevent this?

• 1. Re: Photoshop Crashes and Settings Reset
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Something's wrong on your system if you're seeing those behaviors (I know, that's kind of obvious), but what I mean is this:  Photoshop usage does not normally include these behaviors.  I haven't had to reset preferences in literally more than a year, and I did so manually as a part of trying to get to the bottom of a problem that turned out to be in my display driver at the time.

Photoshop CS6 has only crashed once for me since the beginning of the beta test.

What usually results in crashes seem to be display driver issues.  What OS are you running, and what video card do you have?

You should look in your Event Logs to see if the crashes identify a Faulting Module.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Photoshop Crashes and Settings Reset
            Lynn Jendersee

I'm having the same issue with CS6. It crashes and resets itself. I lose all of my custom settings (brushes, shapes, patterns, etc). Everything is reset to default settings. I have checked, I'm running OS 10.7.4 and I have a compatible graphic card.

-Lynn

• 3. Re: Photoshop Crashes and Settings Reset
              Level 5

Photoshop saves its preferences ONLY when it quits (exits) in an orderly way, never when it crashes.

Had you actually set your preferences and then allow Photoshop to quit/exit in an expected way?  Or has it been crashing before you intentionally quit it?  If the latter, then your modified preferences had never been saved, therefore when you relaunch Photoshop it uses the default preferences, because those are the only settings that have been saved.

Obviously, you need to investigate why Photoshop is crashing in the first place.

CS6β has been pretty stable for me, but I haven't claimed my complimentary final version, which I have no reason to expect it will be any less stable than the beta.

Next time you get your preferences the way yo like them, be sure to quit Photoshop right away, so the prefs are saved.  Something I like to do is to record an action as I go about modifying all my preference settings, so next time I need to re-set them I can just run the action with one mouse click.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Photoshop Crashes and Settings Reset
                Lynda-S Level 4

That makes sense and I know my system is to blame for the crashes of PS (IE System locks up and doesn't want to move.) However, I have set my setting in PS and they are fine for days or weeks (depending on how often my computer wants to lock up) and then PS crashes and the settings are reset regardless of how many times I have closed in the past.

• 5. Re: Photoshop Crashes and Settings Reset
                  Level 5

Lynda Spangler wrote:

…then PS crashes and the settings are reset regardless of how many times I have closed in the past…

You probably know this, but it's worth repeating for the benefit of recent Mac converts:

"Closing" a window or all open windows, does not quit or exit the application on a Mac.  You actually have to quit, either by selecting the Quit menu item in the Photoshop Menu or by using Command Q on your keyboard, otherwise the application is still running even if you don't see its menu bar because the focus may be on another application or on the Finder.

Try setting your preferences and immediately and deliberately quit Photoshop by one of those two methods in order to make sure your preference settings are actually saved before you crash again.

• 6. Re: Photoshop Crashes and Settings Reset
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Isn't there a little "light" in the dock to show when an application is still running?  Look for that to go out.

Photoshop crashes so much it's a wonder they don't re-write the preferences values on Mac AND Windows systems right when you change them.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Photoshop Crashes and Settings Reset
                      Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

Isn't there a little "light" in the dock to show when an application is still running?…

Not necessarily, Noel.  It depends on the version of the OS you are running.  Under Tiger, for instance, there's only a minute black triangle under the icon, and that can be as tiny as some of the ones that bring up menus and stuff in Bridge panels.

Besides, many of us, myself included, hide the Dock automatically because we can't stand to look at it.