5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2012 6:04 AM by Peter Spier

Can CS6 import CS4?

Guy Burns Level 1

I'm just about to start several InDesign projects. I've got CS4 and will upgrade to CS6 in the next month or two. I was wondering if I start laying out in CS4 (nothing complicated, just applying styles, lots of images and text wraps), will CS6 be able to import most of what I've done in CS4, or should I just get everything in place and keep the fomatting to an absolute minimum, and then do the layout in CS6?

• 1. Re: Can CS6 import CS4?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

CS6 should be able to read all previous versions without any issues.

Notice I said should. The same was true for CS5 and 5.5, and there were more than one or two reports here of problems that developed with legacy files when directly converting them in CS5. Most of those problems didn't manifest until days after the conversions and much editing. Exporting the originals to .idml or .inx and opening that in the new version seems to be very effective in preventing this (and in fairness, it wasn't something that happened to every user or every file, so there may have been other problems with the files that were reported), so I strongly recommend exporting from CS4 and using the .idml to continue your project in CS6, and don't save it with the same name, just in case you need to go back tot he original for some reason.

• 2. Re: Can CS6 import CS4?
            Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks for the reassuring comments, Peter. I was a bit concerned that I would encounter various problems like I did when I went from CS1 to CS4. Looks like I will have little to worry about in traversing the latest upgrade.

• 3. Re: Can CS6 import CS4?

What sort of problems did you have before?

• 4. Re: Can CS6 import CS4?
                Guy Burns Level 1

Well, I remember difficulties around the time I migrated from CS1 to CS4, but now that I have given the matter a bit more thought, the difficulties may have been encountered after I moved to CS4. Back in 2008 I posted several questions, but my forum archive only goes back to 2009 and now I can't be sure what the problems were other than in general terms. One big hassle was gathering 50 separate chapters into a "book". Whether I did that before I shifted to CS4 (and then couldn't migrate the "book" properly) I can't remember. But I do remember giving the "book" function in CS4 the boot after many wasted hours, and deciding never to use it again.

Anyway, that's behind me. As long as I can migrate a document from CS4 to CS6 with minimal losses I'm happy.

• 5. Re: Can CS6 import CS4?

Yeah. I think if you have a Book, with a capital B, you are better off converting the compnent files, then gathering them into a new Book inthe new version.