10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 11:29 AM by Kevin-Monahan

Rearranging clips in a sequence

community help Level 1
        • 1. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence
          marq5.1 Level 1

Hi, I'm liking the "Move clips using the keypad" function combined with the new and improved clip edge selection in Pr6. It is almost like the ",""." left, right nudging I'm used to in FCP. However, the "+1" frame of "-1" frame moving doesn't seem to apply to when I want to "slip" or "slide" a clip.

Questions:

Is there a way to apply the "Move clips using the keypad" method to "slip" and "slide"?

Is there anyway to assign a key combination (like "+" and keypad "1") to a single key (like ",")?

Cheers,

Daniel Kohl

• 2. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence
            Sengstack Level 1

In the "Move Clips in a Timeline panel" section, it says:

"To move only one track of a linked clip, press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) and drag the part of the clip, audio or video, you want to move. You do not need to hold the Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) key after you initiate the edit."

It probably should say "release the Alt/Option key after starting to move the clip. Otherwise, if you continue to hold the Alt/Option key, you will make a copy of the selected "track" of the clip while leaving the original copy in place.

Just checking...is "track" the correct term for the audio or video portion of a linked A/V clip?

In addition, instead of "a Timeline panel" in the topic head, I think it would be better to say "the Timeline panel" or "a sequence."

Jeff

• 3. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Good one, Jeff. I'll make the correction once I get back in the office.

• 4. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence
                DaveBernstein

Hi Kevin

Is there a way to "un-razor" a clip. I like to sync up all my angles then razor off pieces and alt-drag them to my master video layer. Afterwards i like to remove the razors (thru edit in FCP) from the camera tracks (when working in FCP). Is there a way to do this in Premiere?

cheers

Dave

• 5. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Sort of.

The traditional method for the work flow you describe is to load up a clip in the Source Monitor and set In/Out points for adding clips to the sequence.  Using that work flow, you will no longer have the need to "un-razor".

• 6. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence
                    jdogSlaton69

In FCP, when you say select a video clip in the timeline that is on track 1 and hold the option button and hit the up arrow, the video clip nudges up to video track 2. Is there a way to do this in Premiere? If so, what would it be called so I can map my keyboard.  I just like to use the keyboard shortcuts and I've only been able to drag the clip to the next video track with the mouse. Thanks for your response.

• 7. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence
                      SimonHy Level 2

jdogSlaton69 wrote:

In FCP, when you say select a video clip in the timeline that is on track 1 and hold the option button and hit the up arrow, the video clip nudges up to video track 2. Is there a way to do this in Premiere? If so, what would it be called so I can map my keyboard.  I just like to use the keyboard shortcuts and I've only been able to drag the clip to the next video track with the mouse. Thanks for your response.

There's currently no way of doing that in Premiere. Make a feature request: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I've made a number of feature requests for more keyboard driven features, apparently the more people that submit requests for them the more likely they are to be implemented.

• 8. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence

jdogSlaton69 wrote:

There's a bit more to the feature in FCP. You must unlink audio from video in order to move selected clips to other tracks using that keyboard shortcut. You might want to include that step in your feature request.

SimonHy wrote:

I've made a number of feature requests for more keyboard driven features, apparently the more people that submit requests for them the more likely they are to be implemented.

Yes, that's exactly true. We need to hear from you to know what's most important.

You can also join the Product Improvement Program from the Help menu.

• 9. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence
                          jdogSlaton69 Level 1

Right, but also in my request I asked to take it a step further. If they were linked, then when the function is performed, the video would go from track 1 up to track 2 and the audio would go from track 1 down to track 2. And vice versa. But if the were De-linked, then they would perform individually on their own. Modifier and up arrow... track goes up. Modifier and down arrow... track goes down, video or audio.

• 10. Re:  Rearranging clips in a sequence

jdogSlaton69 wrote:

Right, but also in my request I asked to take it a step further. If they were linked, then when the function is performed, the video would go from track 1 up to track 2 and the audio would go from track 1 down to track 2. And vice versa. But if the were De-linked, then they would perform individually on their own. Modifier and up arrow... track goes up. Modifier and down arrow... track goes down, video or audio.

I'll buy that for a buck. Make sure you include this suggestion in your feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish