12 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2012 3:02 PM by Blakel4

Having trouble keep video quality

Blakel4

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can explain this one to me. For some reason when I drag a video into my project now the quality seems to be alot less than if I viewed the original video outside of Premiere. I don't recall noticing this earlier so I may have changed something in this particular project. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into setting up a project that is a good base for a video that is mp4 file type. I'm really new so I don't know what information is relevant, the video details are 720x480 @ 29 fps. I picked DV - PAL / Standard 48kHz.

• 1. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Make sure your playback settings are set to FULL.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
            Blakel4 Level 1

It's set at full but it still has this video loss. I've tried starting a new project with the default DV - PAL / Standard 48kHz settings and dragging the video in there, but it's still doing the samething when I view the imported video in its Source playback section.

• 3. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
              Magnus Allgurén Level 2

Is your viewer set to display both fields, if your footage is interlaced?

• 4. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                Blakel4 Level 1

Sorry off the top of my head I don't know much about interlacing, or what you mean by the viewer displaying both fields. I am looking at what you said, but I think that's something that will take a bit more time to understand. In general, I have some videos that were captured from an external source and saved in an MP4 format.(wether this is where the issues are beginning im unsure)

Anyhow from that, I start a new project, with the general settings, with the sequence presets at DV - PAL - Standard 48 kHz. From there, when I drag the video into the project and view the video in it's source section, there is an obvious decay of quality. I'm not too sure what im supposed to take into account or how im supposed to set this up. Besides altering the inital video outside of Premiere, it must be a setting. Either I've not set the appriopriate project settings for this particular video format, or I've done something to alter Premieres overal settings. Though I've not touched any preferences.

Sorry. Just a bit new, but I appricate the information regardless

• 5. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Right click a clip in the project panel, select New Sequence from Clip and your settings should be OK. Sometimes it pays to RTFM or press F1.

• 6. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                    Blakel4 Level 1

lol of course it pays to read the fn manual... Right. So obviously you've got a slight stick up your *** But thanks for the information regardless.. remind me to not recommend anyone new popping here with simple questions until they RTFM. .. ?  I'm sure ill find the answer out considering it's extremely simplistic. Funny though how it shows some peoples mentality. If you're going to spend time responding to someone, bring some respect along the way. IF my questions annoy your obvious standards, ..move along.

Your answer seems totally sarcastic guy. Perhaps Im missing the overal principle here, but what good does making a new sequence do when the I'm having trouble setting the inital project up? That just brings it back to the inital settings I was referring to.. the ones that Im unsure are appriopriate for the inital video itself. Next time just say "You're wasting peoples time, go read the manual". That is exactly what you are stating as far as im concerned

Message was edited by: Blakel4 Be

• 7. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

remind me to not recommend anyone new popping here with simple questions until they RTFM.

That's actually very good advice.

• 8. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                        Blakel4 Level 1

No, it's actually poor advice and reflects poorly on some people in this community. It's good advice to read the manual as soon as you can. It's however a poor principle to restrict access to information until you have read an entire manual. I agree it's simplistic, and the answer will more than likely be in the manual, but I unfortunatly do not have the time at the moment to read the entire sections I will have to read in order to break this down. The point of a community is to help people with isolated problems, be it specific and unique to exceptionally generic and simple. I'm not suggesting feed questions that people should actually go answer and know for themselves, I'm merely saying that isolating people who do ask these questions is.. well.. apparently good advice from your point of view. Apparently people feel simple questions bring down the overall picture...  Anyhow this isn't a debate on forum practices or anything off shot by that.. it's a simplistic question that's sorta bothering me, but I have a project to do and am going to unfortunatly have to bite the bullet on quality at the moment.

Odd...

• 9. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not think you choose the correct settings. 720x480 is NTSC 29.97 and you say you choose a PAL setting with probably 25 frames.

Best is to choose a setting that matches your footage.

If you do not know which one to choose. drag a clip from the Project Window and drag it into the New Item Icon.

This will create a matching sequence and probably solve your playback issue.

new item icon.png

• 10. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                            Blakel4 Level 1

Thankyou very much Ann. It still appeared decayed in the viewer, but I tried exporting it and it the quality stayed all the way through.

Very simple thankyou for taking the time to help me with it Don't worry Harm and Jim, it's the manual and other resources for me now

• 11. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Right click a clip in the project panel, select New Sequence from Clip and your settings should be OK

Which is exactly the same answer Ann gave you.

• 12. Re: Having trouble keep video quality
                                Blakel4 Level 1

No, it  still was botched on exporting for reason. Indirectly it was right, but it missed some specifics that Ann gave which helped which is what I was after more than an Automatic feature tbh.

I wasn't knocking your answer per say(even though it was right), the Read the **** manual part sorta made it almost irrelevant... But I'll give you a big warm smile instead of berating you anymore on your communication skills Thanks for the advice anyhow Harm, even though I evidentally didn't use it properly.