11 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 3:42 AM by PhotoshopFran

Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?

screscenzo

MacBook Pro OS 10.7.4

Photoshop 6

Memory  8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

603 GB available

Hey all,

I have recently had to begin using Clipping Paths for knockouts and silo's. I am having trouble though with moving the layer that has been knocked out and the clipping path that 'corresponds' to that layer.

What I want to know is if I can move them and size them together and still retain a clipping path? Every time I transform the layer and have the clipping path selected it only affects the clipping path. If I deselect the clipping path and transform it only affects the layer. The clipping path just stays where it is and I would have to move it independently of the layer to realign it.

Sometimes I want to re-orient the layer from vertical to diagonal on the white background but that will unalign it from the clipping path.

I found a discussion awhile ago that was sort of related to this but it confused me and didn't seem to work. Now I can't find that discussion.

Is what I am asking even possible? Am I am asking to much and not seeing a workflow that I should be using?

Thanks,

Stephen

• 1. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried selecting the layers and making into a Smart object?  I am not entirely sure of what you want to achieve, but I think that might be the answer.  Double clicking the Smart object will open it as layers in a new document that you can edit and save, or you can Freet transfor the entire Smart object in the original image.

• 2. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

A Smart Object might be overkill.

As far as moving things on multiple layers together, you can normally just select more than one layer and use the Move Tool.  Is there some reason this isn't applicable in this case?

Seems to me you can transform several layers together in the same way.

Click on the base layer then control click the Clipping Mask layer - or vice versa.

Grouping the layers could be useful as well.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
              Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Do you have a specific reason you need to use clipping paths instead of vector masks?

• 4. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
                AnnShelbourne Level 2

The way that I do this is to Select the Background Layer, then target and Select the Path with the path Selection tool and use "Transform" to resize/rotate/move in a single operation.

Then select the Layer containing the masked object and its linked Layer Mask and use "Transform Again".

All changes which you applied to the Path should now be applied to the Layer and its Mask as well.

• 5. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
                  screscenzo Level 1

@ Trevor- I think I agree with Noel that a Smart Object might be overkill but I will experiment with it.

@Noel- I don't think I was clear in my question. I thought I did a good job but I guess not. Let me try again. It's not that I want to move or transform multiple layers. I want to be able to move and transform a Layer and a Clipping Path together. I'm not sure it's possible because they are in different panels and can't be linked.

@R_Kelly- The standards I was given require a clipping path. I think what it is doing is giving the client or the website manager the option to work with the knocked out layer/image however they wish beyond the white background. Say for a colored or gradated background. Is a vector mask any different? If I'm not mistaken you can convert a clipping path to a vector mask and back again. Is there any loss in quality doing that?

@CameraAnn- After typing everything I just did above I re-read your comment a few times and then I finally got it. My eyes kept skimming over the "Transform Again." That's it! It seems like an extra step and I would like to be able to link the two but a quick Shift + cmd + T and I'm there. Thanks CameraAnn!

@R_Kelly- I would still like to hear about your thoughts on Vector Masks.

Thanks Everyone!!!!

• 6. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
                    emil emil Level 4

There is a easier way. Use a disabled vector mask to create the path or copy the existing path on it and at the end when you finish editing the image, cut the vector mask path and paste it as a Work Path, and then make it a clipping path. In this way you can transform the layer as many times as you like and the path will also transform along with it without the need to make all transformations twice - once on a layer and then again on the path.

• 7. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
                      screscenzo Level 1

@emil emil- I have only a vague understanding of what you want me to do. Using clipping paths and vector masks is new to me. If you wouldn't mind detailing out what you typed above into steps I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
                        screscenzo Level 1

@emil emil- I think I got it. I just need to sort out at what point it goes in to my workflow.

@emil emil & CameraAnn- There is more than one way to skin a cat and you both are Correct. Wish I could label both as Correct answers. Thanks to the two of you. I'll be able to utilize both solutions.

• 9. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
                          emil emil Level 4

Pick the Path selection tool, the black arrow (Shift + A until the black arrow is selected), select with it the path you have created, and cut it (Ctrl + X). Press the Escape key on your keyboard twice to make sure no path is selected in the Paths panel.

In the Layers panel, select the layer you want to transform together with the path and from the Layer menu choose Vector Mask > Reveal All, and Paste (Ctrl + V).

If you want the pasted vector mask path to be displayed like a regular path without masking the image, Shift + click the vector mask icon next to the layer icon in the Layers panel. This disables the masking. If you want to edit or create additional paths on the vector mask, first make sure it is selected (clicking on it icon selects it) and then use any of the path editing or creation tools. Pay attention to the boolean mode of the path creation tools when adding new paths to the mask. These are the last four buttons on the Options bar under the main menu when you have path creation tools selected. To see the effect of these options, Shift + Click on the vector mask icon to toggle the masking effect.

When you need to transform layer just do it and the vector mask will transform along with it.

When you finish working on the project, select the vector mask icon in the Layers panel, go to the Paths panel, and from its popup menu at the top right, choose Save Path. Give it a name and press OK. Then from the same menu choose Clipping Path.

If not needed you can delete the vector mask of the layer by selecting its icon and pressing Delete key on your keyboard.

• 10. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
                            screscenzo Level 1

@emil emil- Thanks for the detailed info! Cheers!

• 11. Re: Can a Clipping Path and a layer be moved/sized together?
                              PhotoshopFran Level 1

Ann, you're an absolute legend. You just made our lives a heck of a lot easier! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!