4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 10:51 AM by CutsonCoast

Only imports audio, no video when using DSLR .mov files

CLCTV Level 1

I just upgraded to CS6 on my Mac Lion. I created a project using the DSLR settings and tried to import a .mov video clip taken from my Canon 5D camera. Strange thing is it only imported the audio and not the video. I tried many of clips and just audio.

As tests, I tried importing a .mpeg clip from an HDV camcorder and it worked fine. I also changed the extension of the DSLR clip to .mpeg and it still didn't work. The DSLR clips imported fine in CS4, but not CS6. Also as another test, I tried importing on a different Mac computer using Premiere Pro CS6 (from creative cloud) and it imported perfectly. So I'm not sure why it's doing it on my computer? The files open fine in QuickTime.

The only thing that worked was I exported the .Mov files from the DSLR to a HDV .Mov file and it DID import correctly. I don't want to have to go through that step everytime though (or loss the quality)

Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks

• 1. Re: Only imports audio, no video when using DSLR .mov files
          Treize131 Level 1

I'm having this trouble as well.  Except I'm trying to import XDCAM EX 1080p24 (HQ) (IE: one of the sequence presets in Adobe Premiere Pro) and I'm not getting any video, just the audio.  I have other footage that is using the exact same codec except it was dropped in directly from a SDHC card off of my JVC camera.  The footage that is not working was converted on a mac then transfered onto my PC via external hard drive; originally from a sony EX3.

• 2. Re: Only imports audio, no video when using DSLR .mov files
            mrmike887195

I too am having this problem.  The video I am trying to import is a .MOV file from a Canon 5D Mark III.  When I check the properties of the file in Premiere Pro 5.5, this is what it says:

File Path: S:\Photos\5D mark 3\Video\0F2A0089

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 55.7 MB

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:00:15:07124

Average Data Rate: 3.7 MB / second

QuickTime Details:

Movie contains 1 video track(s), 1 audio track(s) and 1 timecode track(s).

Video:

There are 453 frames with a duration of 1/29.97th.

Video track 1:

Duration is 454

Average frame rate is 29.91 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:

Frame Size = 1920 x 1080

Compressor =

Quality = Least (1.00)

Audio:

Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data:

Audio data block #1:

Format = 16 bit - Stereo

Rate = 48000 Hz

Compressor = sowt

Timecode:

Timecode track 1 contains 1 type(s) of data:

Timecode data block #1:

Start Time = 00;00;39;04

Reel name =

As you can see PP 5.5 notices the video; it even tells me the # of frames in the video but it won't display it. It might be worth saying the video files from my Canon XF100 work just fine.  This is extremely frustrating.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Only imports audio, no video when using DSLR .mov files
              josephs51576386 Level 3

Have you tried renaming the .mov container to .mp4 I doubt it will work but that's all I can think of.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas at the moment.

• 4. Re: Only imports audio, no video when using DSLR .mov files
                CutsonCoast

I had this same problem, but I updated to 6.0.2 and that fixed it. If that doesn't work, other people suggested your installation might be wonky and it might need a de-install and re-install.