11 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 12:56 PM by Peter Spier Branched from an earlier discussion.

Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)

WildHareIn

Hello,

This is not a scripting question it is a InDesign CS5.5 question. At first I thought it was my in experience with the software, but after viewing several videos on how to do things I feel it is the software or something I am unware of needs to be unchecked.

I received an Adobe update for my InDesign  May 14, 2012 software - - I don't recall if it was doing this before or not. I decided to learn more about the software only everything I thought I knew is not working.

The control panel that is across the top of InDesign that changes according to the tool you select is not functioning. I can draw a text box and key a sentence or two just fine, but when I select the text and attempt to change the text from the control panel using the pull down menus it will not let me.

I tried the main menu bar and it lets me do it from there. I tried changing from the fly out panels it lets me do it there. I can not access any customize menus from the fly outs either.

All I want to do is utilize the easy access control panel across the top of the screen I can see what font I am using but I cannot for some reason click inside the box, or even click the arrow to change it.  It is as though the PANEL IS LOCKED so I cannot use it.

Please help me figure out what is causing this problem. The software will let me do anything I want from other panels on the fly outs, just not the main control panel at the top of the screen.

Thanks

WildHareIn

• 1. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)
          John Hawkinson Level 5

(This topic is neither a scripting question nor is it about disabling the "font tab"; I have branched it from Disabling font tab in InDesign CS5 Control panel, moved it from InDesign Scripting to InDesign General, and retitled it.)

Please try to post in the right forum and start a new topic for a different question.

Your problem is thoroughly consistent with corrupt preferences. Please see:

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

• 2. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Apart from having trouble posting, please also remember to supply some more detail.

Are you perhaps using Windows 7? With a custom screen font size setting?

• 4. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)
              WildHareIn Level 1

Well thank you to such a quick replies.  I am a running Window 7 OS. Just now I have to give this trashing my InDesign prefrences and see if that works first. However, that is surely a dinging thing not to have running on a Microsoft Operating System, especially something so important to those who use the software.

I wonder if their Adobe's Master Collection CS6 has this problem fixed or not? Or for that matter their cloud software they now offer.

Just ran two anti-virus software packages on it hoping it was a bug in the system. Let you know later if the InDesing preferences "trashing" works. Oh by the way wouldn't it be easier for them to just link this question up to the proper area. I'm a newbie to this stuff and am having trouble figuring out the main set up here just to enter the question and reply to this. 

Thanks,

• 5. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)
                WildHareIn Level 1

This is not the path to my PREFERENCES folder people.

Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\  (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

It starts at  C:\Users\<UsersName>\  . . . . . . <there is no AppData file>  So I am ???? what is next????

• 6. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Wildhare, I strongly recommend you use control-alt-shift when starting InDesign to clear your preferences, rather than moving the file sby hand.

I'm not sure what your'e asking about linking your question to the proper area -- as I said, that is where I moved your question.

I wonder if their Adobe's Master Collection CS6 has this problem fixed or not? Or for that matter their cloud software they now offer.

Unfortunately there are a wide variety of problems that lead to preference corruption, and they are generally not well understood, either by us or by InDesign Engineering. And it turns out that even when you can find an example where the preferences are corrupt (which tends to be difficult, becuase usually preferences get destroyed during the diagnostic process), that often tells you nothing about the actual cause of the problem, which makes it hard to fix.

But it's too soon to tell, really.

• 7. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John and I strongly disagree on the best method for replacing preferences. His is destructive and irreversible. If you have made customizations to the program and use the keyboard they will be lost without any possibility of recovery, even if replacing the preferences is not effective (as I suspect it will not be in your case -- did you read the KB article I linked to about custom font size in Windows interface?).

As far as not seeing the folder, please note, as mentioned in the topic, that these are HIDDEN folders to keep you from doing stupid things, but there is no harm is doing smart things like backing up a known good set of prefs and using them to replace a set that is suspect. To find the folders in Windows got to Explorer, then Tools > Folder Options... and on the View tab scroll down and change the setting to show hidden files and folders. I recommend also, while you are there, checkinig the box to "show extensions for registered file types" to avoid confusion about mulitple files of the same name but different types.

• 8. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, I'm not sure how strong our disagreement is, but the reason to favor the keyboard shortcut is that it avoids the whole problem of having to find the correct directory. That seems to be a signifiant issue here.

• 9. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)

Well, what can I say? If you care about your customizations you need to learn enough about your OS to find the directories. Computers are not TV sets, though you can treat them the same way.

I thinik it's a lot less of a problem than you indicate -- we only hear, like with anything here, fom users who have a problem, not from those who can follow the directions without issue. You're realtively new around here, too, so you don't remember the hundreds of posts from folks who weren't fast enough on the keys and couldn't get that method to work, which is one of the main reasons I started posting the manual instructions ten years ago.  I like giving users an option and letting them make up their own mind about waht will work best for their own circumstance.

• 10. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)
                          WildHareIn Level 1

Peter,

I am more than a TV viewer okay . . . I am attending college to become a Web Master. . . I did though learn something interesting from this the one pathway mentions a hidden file. I'm finding this a tad confusing here I am the only user of my system so why does it define me as two people one as the Administrator and one as just me. I guess this file becomes unhidden when I have found my way into it and defined myself as a Administrator. 

Just strange I only received my software 4 months ago so, why would I be on the boards way back when?Thanks,

WildHareIn

Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 07:56:46 -0600

To: um8me28@hotmail.com

Subject: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)

Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)

created by Peter Spier in InDesign - View the full discussion

Well, what can I say? If you care about your customizations you need to learn enough about your OS to find the directories. Computers are not TV sets, though you can treat them the same way. I thinik it's a lot less of a problem than you indicate -- we only hear, like with anything here, fom users who have a problem, not from those who can follow the directions without issue. You're realtively new around here, too, so you don't remember the hundreds of posts from folks who weren't fast enough on the keys and couldn't get that method to work, which is one of the main reasons I started posting the manual instructions ten years ago.  I like giving users an option and letting them make up their own mind about waht will work best for their own circumstance.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4412446#4412446

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4412446#4412446. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 11. Re: Control strip not functioning (branched, moved)

I'm sorry if you felt in any way disrespected by my last comment, that wasn't my intention.

That said, on Windows 7 there is a default Administrator account, but it is not used for login unless you make some registry changes to expose it. When you first started the computer it probbably asked you for a name, and that will be the one that you've been logging in with since (and you may not be asked to provided a name and passwaord for login, depending on your settings and the version of Windows), and that will be the user account that has the prefs you want to replace. When hidden files are showing you'll see the Administrotor account, the account with your name (and any other user accounts for other authorized users who have been added to the list), an All Users account, a Public Account, and a Default User account which is used as a template for new users when they are added.