12 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 9:52 AM by sinious

Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS

mentlity Level 1

I'm in middle ground here as I'm able to create a simple app for IOS using CS5.5 and was wondering if I'm able to create an interactive IBook ( which is actually an app ) to know what I mean if you go to the Apple Book Store and download the free "Beatles" Yellow Submarine you will see the interactivity.

When I write middle ground I mean I just finished downloading CS6 and looking at some tutes so if this is possible, which I know I can get the interactivity but its just putting it in book form that I was curious about.

thx

RD

• 1. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
          Anton Azarov Level 3

You can develop a book and publish it for AppStore (not for iBook) - 100% but this like a application. Not just book that you can insert in antoher engine like iBook. I done one...

• 2. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
            mentlity Level 1

yes I understand this, but I'm concerned with the following:

I can do a Flash animation of lets say two ducks, when touching the those images on ipad the ducks will jump twice. Looking to do similar animations that I know I can convert to IOS

BUT

How do I go about adding pages of different animations?

If I create 1 app it has to have lets say 10 pages with 10 different animations, follow?

• 4. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
              Anton Azarov Level 3

I misunderstood you, because I'm not english speaker. But I will try to answer..

You develop 1 app. This app will include all that you wants. Page - it's just object. Each object can contain another objects. Like a tree and leafs. So you simply make 1 page with any animations. Page 2 with any animations and etc and combine this to one APP.

Here is the link, you can get free 8 pages. Will be good if you can spent $1.99  =)))

http://tinyurl.com/7plewc7

If you don't have iPad - here is a Russian video review http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rXb2jswoz0Y

This all done using Adobe Flash CS5.5 and Exported to Adobe Air, than published to AppStore.

If you want to offer me some job in this area - just write me PM

• 5. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
                mentlity Level 1

That video is EXACTLY what I need to acomplish I'm not concerned with the animations as I jhave been working in Flash for years just the page turning which looks like its triggered from a button with arrows. So I need to know first how to geet the page turn effect in the app as well as how to situate each page for instance. One timeline with each page animation a movieclip? On touch it would move to the next animation or page using the page turning effect.

??

• 6. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
                  sinious Most Valuable Participant

If you want it to be a true book you're not going to want an app. InDesign and the digital publishing suites are designed to export books. I haven't used them but I know they're used for this purpose and go into the Apple book store. At that point you should expect it to work like any other book. You handle creating the design of the book, the software handles the animations of turning pages and such for you. You cannot publish an ebook to Apple with Flash. 

• 7. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
                    Anton Azarov Level 3

In my book - Page Turn it's a real 3D model of page turning. Before it turning (click to arrow or drag the edge without egde linking to finger) - app make screenshot of whole stage and load it as texture to that 3d model. So when I turn page - you will see real page turning with real content. Also with previus page apperaing. Stage adds new movieclip as invisible, screenshot it and add texture to pageflip model. When flip is over - 3d model goes to invisible and movieclip of whole page appera.

But that all was done using old Adobe AIR with GPU. Today I'm working on new book using Direct mode (native 3D for iOS) using newest Adobe Air 3.2

• 8. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
                      mentlity Level 1

Was curious to see the fla on this ( just the page turn) as I have to impliment into this Flash animation so as I wrote before this would work just like a button going to a different part of a timeline. I'm in CS5.5 using the newest AIR

RD

• 9. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
                        mentlity Level 1

As far as I know there is no  way of dropping Flash animations to InDesign documents or I would go that route, there are other appds out there that do what I'm trying to do in Flash  Moglue is just one of them where they just added the publish to IBooks feature. I can always use this as they have a nice page turn feature built in but I'm so used to Flash and can create animations from scratch as Moglue comes with just the ACTIONS that produce the animation basic.

RD

• 10. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS

The difference is if you want it to be usable from built in apps like iBooks then Flash cannot do that for you. Your original post mentioned being published in the Adobe Book Store. Apps can be put in a 'book' category of apps but you cannot use that in iBooks or any other eBook reader. So you have to ask yourself if you want to target an eBook or an App. They are two separate things.

The eBook will integrate with native readers, facilitate a lot of advanced functionality automatically (bookmarking, searching, page turn animations, themes, etc). An app will require you to program all of the above and it will not go in any readers. The easier of the two is obviously sticking to standard publishing, make your books in InDesign (since CS4) or Mogle and design a real book. The harder route is an app that mimics a book but allows you to do things an eBook cannot.

• 11. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS
                            mentlity Level 1

I'm just interested in developing interactive apps that act as Books, picture a childrens book with touch animations using motion and audio able to work off an IPad and yes the app would be put in a book category of apps. I'm aware of the different features that will not be available if I go straight epub, one of them is the page turning which Moglue files have. So I'm targeting an app and instead of doing a test set of animations and exporting as IOS from Flash I just wanted to know if I would be able to do what I would normally do in an .fla but instead ofcreating an swf I would publish for IOS where buttons (which would now be touch commands) would move the playhead from one part of the timeline to the next but wanted to add the page turning so it mimics or looks a bit like the e pub page turn..

I'm aware of Moglue, I actually have it and I do see that it does allow you to publish for epub but it limits the interactivity a bit.

??

• 12. Re: Flash CS5.5 or CS6 creating an interactive ebook /app for IOS

I have plenty of book apps downloaded for my kid (sesame street - monster at the end of the book, et al). I'm impartial to the fact that it can't be in ibooks, it's more like an 'app' to me than a book anyhow. If you want to create an app for this then Flash is fine to do it.

You may want to contact the user in here mentioning they have page turning in 3d. You can use any of the Stage3D APIs and a 3d animation app like 3dsmax to make the page curl animation and apply it like they mentioned. If you're not a heavy coder then you might want to hire someone that can perform those kind of effects. Although those are top of the line. Not hard to do but a quality effect.

Most people simulate a page turn effect with a simple mask and an animated shadow, such as the App Book I mentioned. The page turning is the least thing you should really be concerned with. The Sesame Street book is insanely popular and the page turns look cartoony and silly.