5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 4:42 AM by Steve Grisetti

Wrong aspect ratio when export to mov file

funkypsiko1000 Level 1

Hi,

Hoping that you can help me. I've being filming some Hi-def widescreen 16:9 footage which i've want to export to a mov file. However, whatever option i chose, the resutant export gets converted to 4:3.

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. Here are the details.

Original File

PAL HDV - 1080i 25fps

Export

Codec H.264

Output 1440x1080 25fps Upper 100%

Source 1440x1080 25fps Upper

Aspect: D1/DV PAL widescreen 16:9

Hope you can help. Let me knwo if you need any more information.

Cheers

Rob

• 1. Re: Wrong aspect ratio when export to mov file
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project setting did you select? Selecting the correct project setting is vital to outputting the correct aspect ratio.

Also, you note that your origina file is HDV. HDV video is tape based. Is that the case in your situation and did you use Premiere Elements to capture your video over a FireWire connection?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Wrong aspect ratio when export to mov file
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In addition to what Steve has mentioned, if I read correctly, you are starting with HDV material, and then down-rezzing that to SD with the DVD-Video settings. Is that correct?

There are PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) differences between the HDV material, and the DVD specs. Those differences can cause a few issues too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Wrong aspect ratio when export to mov file
              Robert J. Johnston Level 2

For output you will need to use 1920 x 1080.

• 4. Re: Wrong aspect ratio when export to mov file
                funkypsiko1000 Level 1

Thanks for your input. I think the main issue is that i originally captured the video using another peice of software. These files were 1440x1080 so i was getting 'letter boxing' on the left and right. After doing a lot of reading, i now understand the importance of selecting the correct project setting

Leading on from this, I'm about to do some more filming and have hired a HDV camcorder (Sony HVR 27p - PAL). It's 1080i and can film in interlaced (25 or 50fps) or progressive. (25fps)

My questions are:

• The required output playback file (mov file format) needs to be progressive. Should i film in progressive as well, or stick with interlaced and change the output settings when creating the output file?
                • If i stick with interlaced, do i film in 50 or 25 as the output file needs to be 25fps?
                • Although the camera captures 16:9, the pixels are 1440x1080 (which by all accounts in usual with HDV cameras.) Do i select a project setting whose setup is 1440x1080 or do i use 1720x1080?

Thanks a lot for your help so far.

Rob

• 5. Re: Wrong aspect ratio when export to mov file
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, as I said earlier, if your video is being captured over a FireWire connection from a tape-based HDV camcorder, your project should be set up for HDV 1440x1080. Selecting project settings that match your source video is vital to getting a good output.