17 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 8:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Speed up Save?

jahmanwife@hotmail.com Level 1

I have been using Premiere 10 to edit video's.  I decided to change some video's and resave them with another name.  Their length hasn't really changed.  I suspect the settings of the share is what's causing them to take over 2 hours to complete and increase their size.

These are being used to sell as downloads on line to a select group of clients and are not really expensive.  I'd like them to be a good quality but don't want them taking a client hours to download or have them eat up their hard drive space.

I just did a 29 minute video that ended up taking more then 2 hours to finish and is now 1.1 gb where on the last save a year ago it was 49,164 kb.

The current video was saved using the wmv format as it is set out of the box. 

What would you recommend I do?

Thanks!!!!

• 1. Re: Speed up Save?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The speed of your output depends on three things:

1) What format, resolution and codec your source video is;

2) What format, resolution and codec you're saving to; and

3) How fast your processor is.

Not a lot you can do to change the time it takes to transcode except change one of those three elements.

• 2. Re: Speed up Save?

Hi Steve,

#1 --- I am having difficulty locating this from the software.  Can you help?

When I look at the clip properties in it's raw format it says it's an mpeg.  

#2 --  From the share setting: 

Windows Media 9

720p HD movie for playback on other PC's

1280x720

Frame Size:  1280 x 720

FPS: 25

I had this setup before and had no problems with file size and don't understand why the settings are now missing in the drop down window.

#3 -- Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU 2.20GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system

You know from the past I need a little hand holding for this stuff.  So let me say thank you now for helping me out Steve.

• 3. Re: Speed up Save?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For #1, there are two, great, free utilities, that will give you all, or at least most of the info of those Source Files: G-Spot and MediaInfo.

How will your clients use the output files - view, edit, place on their Web site? This can be important in choosing the best setting for them.

Besides the CPU, Export/Share can also depend heavily on one's I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their speed, controller type and free-space. Can you let us know more about your HDD's?

There are quit a few considerations, when delivering video material, and homework at this point can pay dividends later. I do agree that a 3 hour download will deter many clients.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Speed up Save?

Thank you Bill!

I downloaded G-Spot and clicked on one of the raw clips to see what it said.

I think this is the information Steve asked for.

Codec:  MPEG2 is installed

720x480

29.97 pic

Clients will download videos to their computers to view and have the option to burn a dvd if they'd like.  They will not be placed on a website.

My HDD's ... help!  If you can tell me where to find the I/O sub system and the other stuff I'm happy to find that out.  I can tell you it's an Alienware laptop that I'm using if that helps.  I'll go see if I can find the manual or information on their site.

I do know I have 350 gb free

I can tell you I have these same video's saved with much smaller sizes and download/save times were much quicker.  I think the size is wrong on the new save so that must be part of the problem.

I do have some concerns with a newer HD device I'm using to record new video's I want to sell.  I hope these will not take so long.  Because you're right.  Customers are not going to be interested in waiting hours for a 15 minute video to get to their desktop.

Thanks again for your help!!!!

• 5. Re: Speed up Save?

Hey I just went back to the page where you choose the location and settings for the video in the program and just noticed the Source information and output is in Advanced -> Export Settings

Is this as easy as changing the Frame Width & Frame Hieght to match the source info?

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Speed up Save?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>where to find the I/O sub system and the other stuff I'm happy to find that out. I can tell you it's an Alienware laptop

That would be Device Manager in Control Panel (Windows)

Is your laptop one that is designed for video editing?

If yes, it SHOULD have 2 physical hard drives (NEVER a partition !!!) with C drive for Windows and all software, and 2nd drive for all video files

• 7. Re: Speed up Save?

Hi John,

I went there before but it doesn't give me much information.  Well maybe it would to you guys.  I can tell you I only have 1 hard drive not two.  I really don't do this thinking of making a living on it.  I offer little instructional video's to a small group of people in the hoof care world. 

This is the disck drive name if that helps with anyones inquiry:

WDC WD7500BPKT-75PK4T0

Like I've mentioned I had a setting that I used before with these video's that made them smaller & qucker to save to send to a client and their download time was minimal in comparison to the new settings.  I don't know that this is a hard drive problem but more about settings.

This is coming from a novice user.

Thanks again !!!!

• 8. Re: Speed up Save?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like a Western Digital 750GB unit w/ SATA II connection, running at 7200 RPM. If one only has a single, physical HDD (most common laptops ONLY offer a bay for 1 physical HDD), that would be a good one to have.

In most laptop cases, there is not anything else that can be done, other than to add, perhaps an eSATA external, 7200 RPM HDD, through an eSATA ExpressCard controller.

If the client will view and possibly burn to DVD, then the MPEG-2 format with the DVD MPEG-2 CODEC, is probably the best choice - however, the file, while compressed, will be a bit larger.

The choices are to limit Duration, or lower bit-rate, but the latter comes with a caveat: the lower the bit-rate, the smaller the file, but at the expense of quality.

One thing that MIGHT be helpful for the client, would be for you to set up an FTP service on your Web site, rather than forcing the client to go through HTTP and a browser for the download. That should speed the downloads, but with longer Duration files, and a DVD-compliant bit-rate, maybe not enough? Only testing will give you that answer.

You could place each file in a password-protected folder in the FTP folder hierarchy, so that clients can only get into it, once they have paid you, and you have furnished them with the password.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Speed up Save?

You guys are so smart.  Thanks for this Hunt.

So let me take you to the next phase of this since we are chatting.  I am using a software that goes to Amazon S3 to grab the video & automatically download a link to the customer.  This link protects me from anyone getting into my FTP and the software helps to provide a time frame and the number of times the video can be downloaded.  The hosting is free as long as I can keep the video's under 1 tb (I think it was).  The other benefit is that the customer gets the video's no matter where I am .... I hope!

I want to go look at the quality of this new video vs the older ones I still have on file to see if there is a big difference.  I guess if I see the older ones are acceptable then I will have to figure out the output information to do the same with the new one to make them smaller in size? 

I still can't figure out where the old save settings are that I had from the old set.  That has totally disappeared.

Well, thanks for any other thoughts you might have on this.  I might need to ask about how to lower the bit-rate, fps, etc.  I really don't know about these things and wonder if there is a magic number to work within.

Linda

• 10. Re: Speed up Save?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have zero experience with the Amazon site, but maybe others do, and will share with you.

As for the Export/Share Settings (not sure what happened to yours), getting the right combo of file size vs quality, is a major "balancing act," and experimentation will be required.

There are some other options, if one was JUST uploading streaming media, such as WMV (takes some extra time to process during Export/Share), or DivX. However, as only a few DVD players can process DivX, that is anything but a universal option, for the DVD, whether DVD-Video, or DVD-Data. DVD-Video is ONLY DV MPEG-2, for a DVD player. BD players do offer some more options.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Speed up Save?

Thanks again Hunt for your help!!!!

I just compared the smaller size video to the new ones and OMG what a difference in video quality!  So I might rethink this one and offer the smaller one for on line viewing followed up with a DVD that I can ship if they are interested.  Will need to figure out how to do that with menu's and stuff but that might be an option so people can see the finer details in what I am teaching.

Take care,

Linda

• 12. Re: Speed up Save?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Now that business plan offers some great possibilities - high quality, and smaller file sizes for playback, plus a DVD-Video for the clients. That will save their having to author the disc.

As for the creation of the DVD-Videos on your end, PrE does a good job of providing limited navigation, with a series of Menu Sets. If you have not done DVD authoring, I recommend Steve Grisetti's books, and also his Basic Training Series, both available from Muvipix.com.

If you want to expand the capabilities for navigation in the DVD's, beyond what PrE includes, then look into Sony's DVD Architect, a full-featured, but inexpensive authoring program. By chance, Steve Grisetti has also written a book on that program too!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Speed up Save?

Thanks for the help today everyone.  It was nice to have you all here to help me figure this out.  I will look at the training material you mentioned from Steve.  And, I'm going to do some more experimenting to figure this out. I may be back (smile)

Hope everyone has a great day/night where ever you are!

Take care,

Linda

• 14. Re: Speed up Save?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

Do not hesitate to stop back by. We try to be as helpful, as we can be, and are most interested in the users getting the most out of their Adobe programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Speed up Save?

Lol, I'm back!

I found a note I had written and have a feeling this was the setting I used originally.  After saving the newest project with a 720x480 and 1280x860 image size I saw very little difference in file size so wonder what it is in these settings that reduced it? 

MPEG

Image: 720x480

Pixel Depth: 32

Fram Rate: 29.97

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

So then my 2nd question would be the quality of the old video was pixelated compared to the newer ones which helps me understand probably the pixel aspect ratio has something to do with this.  These are training videos in recognizing textures, colors, etc in the hoof to rehabilitate severely crippled horses at times.  So the picture quality is important even with the download.

I do some photography work and imagine the pixel setting is effects the quality of the picture much like the megapixels we search for in the digital cameras we buy.

Testing different sizes and ratio's is really eating up time and hard drive space plus I have to close down everything else so I don't get high usage remarks from using Premiere. 

I wonder if you have any recommendations or thoughts based on the information above.

THANKS AGAIN !

• 16. Re: Speed up Save?

I did a quick read through the board this morning and saw one other topic of interest.  It reminded me, as you did yesterday Hunt, to check the original source video and export it with the same settings.  I saw the original is in NTSC, 720x480, 29 fps.  So i set the output share to the same and it saved it in about 4 minutes.  Now looking at this finished video I don't think it's as sharp as the HD saves I did yesterday but it's good enough with a reasonable download time.

I am curious if you can explain why this save went so much faster then yesterdays when to actual file is about the same size when I compare it to the HD ones.

So now I see there are some .txt and an xmpses file opened in the main folder.  Can they be deleted?

One other question ....

Can I rename these files from the folder without any problems or do I have to do a whole new save to export with the new file name?

Thanks again for helping me out!

Linda

• 17. Re: Speed up Save?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

It all will depend on the Export/Share settings, and especially the CODEC used.

Some CODEC's take far more processing horsepower (and time), than others. The MS DV CODEC is especially easy for the computer to process. WMV, for instance, takes much, much more time, and that is true for either direction. Remember, a CODEC is used to Encode, and to Decode.

As for the quality, remember an SD file will be ~ 1/4 of the resolution of an HD file, so that WILL account for a loss in perceived quality - 1/4 of the resolution.

Good luck,

Hunt