4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 10:44 AM by Steve Grisetti

Best DVC for Premiere 10?

Bonzocat17

I have a Canon digital video camcorder which has no firewire connection socket - only a socket for a USB connection, which means that Premiere 10 doesn't recognise my camcorder when I want to transfer videos from camcorder to computer.

Does anyone have any opinions about the best camcorder for use with Premiere 10? Price range up to 500 dollars.

• 1. Re: Best DVC for Premiere 10?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

All tape-based camcorders have a FireWire connection. Is this a miniDV camcorder?

If not, what model is it? If it's a lower-end, standard definition, hard drive camcorder, I wouldn't recommend it. It's kind of obsolete technology, and it doesn't provide the best workflow in Premiere Elements. (AVCHD hi-def video does; standard def hard drive does not.)

For under $500, I'd very much recommend a miniDV. They're hard to find -- but used ones can be had for about $100 on eBay, and Sonys and Canon miniDVs are workhorses! They run as good as new, even if they're 10 years old!

For hi-def, the Flip HD camcorder is also a great deal.

• 2. Re: Best DVC for Premiere 10?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Canon digital video camcorder

What is the model number, and what is the recording media... SD memory card or hard drive or tape or ???

• 3. Re: Best DVC for Premiere 10?
              Bonzocat17 Level 1

In reply to both Steve G and John T, my camcorder is a Canon Legria FS20 with its own hard drive (flash memory) and an SD card as well. I can't find out whether it has high definition or not in the manual - it seems to be geared towards displaying videos straight from the camera to the TV and for burning direct onto DVDs.

I believe it to be "a lower end, standard definition hard drive camcorder" as Steve says.

I did have a tape based camcorder before which is now broken and I don't see many of these for sale now - hard disk drive models seem to be taking over, and I don't see many film cassettes around either.

Ideally I'd go for inbuilt hard drive, high definition, a powerful optical zoom, 4:3 & 16:9 image proportion and easy transference into Premiere 10.

There are so many makes and models on the market it's difficult choosing. I'm hoping Adobe Premiere 10 users will have some ideas.

• 4. Re: Best DVC for Premiere 10?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you're leaning toward an AVCHD camcorder. I'm just not sure you'll find one for under $500. Certainly not new.