4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 8:33 AM by Ferdinand13

Remove Grain effect doesn't work

Ferdinand13

Hi,

I've got a problem using the AE Remove Grain effect. I've got some noisy footage in my composition and want to remove the noise.

The effect worked according to plan on 2 clips in the composition, however, adding it to the other footage doesn't show any difference. I've been checking the internet for cures - e.g. the 'source frame' issue, where a black frame or fading up at the beginning can create problems - but that didn't solve my issues. The clips are - apart from their content - completely equal, i.e. none of them have no additional effects or blending modes activated nor any other specials 'ticked'. Has anyone got a clue how I can make the Remove Grain effect work on the footage in question, or what I might have overlooked so far?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

All the best, Ferdinand

• 1. Re: Remove Grain effect doesn't work
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Screenshots help a lot as does exact info on your settings, footage origins and types and even what version of AE you are using - all of which you failed to provide thus far, meaning your post is completely devoid of any hard facts.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Remove Grain effect doesn't work
            Ferdinand13 Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Sorry about that. The facts are as follows:

I'm using Adobe After Effects CS 5.5 on a Mac. The comp settings are HDTV 1920x1080 25p. The footage used is 'Quicktime' with an 'Animation' codec and a resolution of 1920x1080 25p.

Please find two screenshots below. The first image shows a clip that shows no changes between the preview window and the original footage. The second one has improved skin softness due to noise removal, which gives quite a different appearance when compared to the original footage surrounding the preview.

Have you got any idea why the effect might work on one clip and not on the other?

Thanks.

Screen shot 1.pngScreen shot 2.png

• 3. Re: Remove Grain effect doesn't work
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is it possible you have temporal filtering enabled in one shjot and not in the other? Also your otehr shot seems to indicate that you are actually sampling the noise distribution from anotehr time, so maybe in your second shot you simply sample beyond the footage duration and naturally it comes up empty?

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Remove Grain effect doesn't work
                Ferdinand13 Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

No, temporal filtering is disabled on both clips. Regarding the sampling, I have tried all versions from source frame 0 to source frame 30 (which is still at the beginning of the footage) and there's no change in there. So I don't think that's what's causing the problem.

Best, Ferdinand