• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 fails to convert Header & Footer from Word?

New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Is it officially an RH9 bug that it cannot convert Header/Footer while importing Word documents?  I tried converting Word 2007 (.docx) file to Word 97-2003 Compatible mode (.doc) file, but no luck!  I am working on a Help system that requires the classification mark (e.g. unclassified/FOUO, etc.) be imported from the Word Header/Footer and added to the top and bottom of each generated HTML topic.

Is there a way to ADD Header/Footer to each HTML topic during (or after) the import process?

Thanks for any help.

- Arefin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Peter can correct me if I'm wrong on this. But I don't believe it's a bug. I believe it's quite simply the way things work when importing Word content into RoboHelp.

Adding Headers and Footers to the HTML pages is simple. Create a Master Page containing the Header and/or Footer, then associate it with all the topics.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the invitation Rick.

Headers and footers should import provided to tick the check boxes for that. However it was identified a little while back that if you have Word 2007 or Word 2010 as the current version of Word on your machine, then they are failing to import.

The fact the documents are saved in the earlier format does not change that. If you can dual install Word 2003 and run that before you open RoboHelp to import, I think that will work.

Otherwise, as Rick has pointed out, create a master page with the required header and footer and apply that to the topics.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick!

Yes, I was able to add Header/Footer in a Master page and then apply the Master page to all the topics.  However, the format of the Header/Footer did not work in the generated topic. For example, I made them CENTER aligned (as usual for classification info) and added a top/bottom border to them for more readability, but all the topics had the Header/Footer LEFT aligned and no top/bottom border!!!

Things seem to be a little shaky with RoboHelp 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay!  The CENTER alignment did not work on the Header/Footer when I converted an existing .htm topic to a Master page (even though all the .htt and and .css files had CENTER alignment written for Header/Footer everywhere)!  The CENTER alignment of the Header/Footer worked just fine when I created the Master page from scratch (File --> New --> Master Page...)!  Additional formating of the Header/Footer e.g. Top and Bottom borders did not show up in the generated .htm topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp