Update - I just fixed this, but it's still interesting.
I was converting a Slider value (which refers to frames, not seconds) to a time value using this expression:
I instead changed it to the built-in function:
And it is fixed.
However, this was never a problem before. Also, testing these expression on a text layer results in the exact same output. So, there is some kind of magic going on with framesToTime() behind the scenes, which is odd.
It is not fixed after all. It seems that putting expressions on time-remapping in general is a no-go for CS6. I assume it has something to do with the new caching system? Not sure, but it's all messed up.
This is a serious bug. I've submitted a bug report.
Have any of your time-remapping expressions generated errors? Are any of your time-remapping expressions operating between comps? If so, can you provide an example?
I'm having similar issues. For me a pre-render or full render take MUCH much longer. Rendering a single frame during time-remapping takes literally a few minutes.
Yes time remapping seems to be broken, or at least not frame accurate in CS6. I have some project files which i'll upload when I'm not under a deadline. (like... tuesday) I've experienced this both when using expressions, and just keyframing. It seems like there is still some interpolation on the time value being done that overrides the expression or keyed value.
back to cs5.5 for me. Thankfully I didn't delete the previous install after upgrading via my cloud membership.
I would like to reiterate that this problem is not fixed. It seems that there is a general problem with time-remapping compositions in AE CS6.
I've had the same problems. It's troublesome because nesting and time-remapping is such a timesaver for making puppets. Does anybody have a temporary fix, not related to using older versions of AE?
I'm having trouble with time-remapping precomps on a project I'm working on in CS6. I'm not using an expression, but animating with hold keyframes.
Animating a countdown using numbers 0-9 of PSD art (not AE timecode effect), that goes from 53, 52, 51, 50, 49, 48, etc in the precomp. But in the main comp, it goes 50, then down to 40 for a frame, then 49, 48. Then I jump into the precomp and the 50's are all gone, 40's only (twice through). Reboot AE and this kind of strange behaviour persists, some ram previews different than others, makes no sense at all.
I turned on continuously rasterize all the way through, seemed to fix it for now, countdown is working again. But yeah CS5 had no problems like this, whatever they are doing with the new caching system, it has some bugs they need to fix.
Has anyone had any success talking to Adobe about this?
I would really like to know if they can fix this in CS6, and not wait to fix it in the CC version. I am not sure I can convince my studio to make the plunge onto the cloud, and so we may be stuck with CS6.
I found what sounds like a similar bug described in the previous patch (11.0.2):
Fixed difference in rendered result between ray-traced 3D renderer and Classic 3D renderer when using time-remapping on precomposition layer with collapsed transformations.
If they were willing to fix this, maybe they could fix this other time-remapping inconsistency bug.
I found it was fixed In the last update seems fine in 188.8.131.52
That's 184.108.40.206 right? I don't see a 220.127.116.11.
just double checked the version i'm running is 18.104.22.168, via cloud
i found a solution by couterglitching after effects CS6 or CC.
If your animation is driven by a slider, you could offset the value of the slider by .1, .5, .whatever works,so i matches the frame you want to display.
It's not really accurate but still, it's working for me
hope it could help for the moment !
Have a great day
I am running Adobe After Effects CC.
I am working on a large character animation project right now an I am having serious trouble/glitches with the time remapping. For Mouth, eye, foot & hand animations I get glitches all over the place. It says i'm on one frame and it shows another. It scrubs showing one thing then renders showing another. Works for a while then randomly stops working properly. Terribly frustrating. Please Adobe take a look at this. Without this feature working properly its about impossible to do character animation without wanting to through your computer in the trash.
A simple workaround that seems to fix the problem is this:
Add a new null object. Copy the slider-effect animation from the layer that seems to generate the bug.
Delete that layer. Relink your expressions. This should fix the problem.
Still a mystery though what seems to generate the problem...
I've been having the same problem here and just found another work around Just in case anyone else picks up on this old thread, I thought I'd post it.
All the characters nested comps and expressions were fine in a RAM preview but when I rendered I had lots of problems with hands and faces which used timeremapping to set there position.
You can adjust the preferences to deal with it.
Hold down the 'shift' key and go to Edit/Preferences/General. You now have access to the 'Secret' menu, last in the list.
Check the "Disable Layer Cache' box and set it to purge every '1' frame
Only down side so far is my render times are through the roof!
Worked for me.
Hope this helps someone.
i was having the same issue......i solved it.....the frame that was malfunctioning had an extra merge path in it .....as soon as i deleted it the glitch was over(i hope u understand what i am saying as English is not my native language