6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 2:53 AM by Harm Millaard

Help review/alter workstation

spurfanla

I will be making 25-30 legacy biographies for a colleague's ministry. I need to provide them with a parts list so they can have someone build me a workstation, which I will be able to keep. I will be shooting with two hacked Panasonic GH2s at around 80mbs 1080p avchd. I anticipate anywhere from 2 - 4hrs of footage(per camera), plus pictures for b-roll. And minimal color correction for skin tones.The finished product will be to DVD and online. Editng will be done on CS6

I already have a cinema display, keyboard and speakers from a 2007 macpro. I also have 2tb raid 1 external drive, with which I plan to keep a second copy of the raw footage if all hell breaks loose.

Im not an expert, this is what I've come up with based on research. I am not trying to get them to break the bank, but I don't want to go through the nightmare of editing avchd with my 07 macpro. Your input would be apprieciated.

Tower - Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower w/ SuperSpeed USB 3.0 w/ Window w/ Black Interior ATX Case

Motherboard - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77

CPU - Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5

OS - Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive

Data - Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache

Raid  - (4) Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache

Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100

PSU- Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200-Watt 80 Plus Gold

RAM - (4) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

Monitor - Eizo ColorEdge CG241W  

Datacolor - Spyder4Pro Display Calibration System

CONTOUR DESIGN ShuttlePRO V.2

I'm not sure which Raid configuration to go with. 5 or 1+0?

Is it wise to have the raid inside the tower?

Is the gpu overkill? Would the gtx580 be sufficient?

Is it better to go with the new ivy bridge 3770k 3.5ghz or the six core sandy bridge?

thanks