4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 6:46 PM by Manish-Sharma

Changing font color of page number

Boba901

Hi guys,

I added page numbers using type --> special characters --> markers --> current page numbers. How do i change the color of the page number font for say page 8? I tried doule clicking it but to no avail.
      PS: i have inDesign CS 6

Thanks guys!

• 1. Re: Changing font color of page number
          Ian Blogs Level 3

Hold down ctrl-shift and click on the page you want to change. Highlight the page number and change the colour.

• 2. Re: Changing font color of page number
            Michael Gianino Level 4

Ian Blogs wrote:

Hold down ctrl-shift and click on the page you want to change. Highlight the page number and change the colour.

There are a few downsides to that method.

Keep in mind that if you have a facing-page document and you insert a page before page 8 and 8 on the left side of the spread becomes 9 on the right, or if you delete a page and 8 becomes 7 on the right, the text frame that you released from the master page by shift-command clicking will stay in place, but a new unreleased text frame with a page number will be generated with a black page number. The black number will likely be behind the new color, and having two frames may not be a problem, but you should be aware that it is there. Adding or deleting a number of pages that is divisible by two (and will not change the page position from left to right or vise versa) will not add the extra page number frame. I don't think non-facing-master docs have this problem. Also, the released frame will not update, should you decide to make changes to the frame on the master page, so you will have to replicate any changes to the released frames on the document pages. Just something to consider.

To avoid this, make a copy of your master page, change the color of the page number and assign that new master to the document page.

• 3. Re: Changing font color of page number
              Boba901 Level 1

Thanks guys!

One more thing. What if I were to divide my catalog into sections (A, B, and C)?

For example I want ...

Pages A1, A2, A3... A10

Pages B1, B2, B3... B10

Instead of ....

Pages 1-20

How do i go about doing this?

• 4. Re: Changing font color of page number
                Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

This can be done by using the Section marker ,

If you have 20 pages , Create two sections , 1) Page 1 to 10

2) Page 11 to 20

To create section , Select page 11 , Go to "Numbering and section" option from pages panel flyout menu and then check "Start Section"

Now to add A and B infront of page numbering ,

Select any page in a section , say 2 in Section 1 (page 1 to 10)

Go to "Numbering and section" from pages panel flyout menu

Enter "A" infront of "Section Prefix"

and check the option "Include Section prefix when page numbering"

and do the same for the Section 2 (page 11-20) , just put "B" in the section prefix inplace of "A" , but make sure you select the page in that particular section to apply the changes