9 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 11:30 AM by Peter Spier

tab key control

tobias707

How does one adjust the amount of space the tab key inserts? Thank you.

• 1. Re: tab key control
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You set tab stops where you want them in the Tabs ruler...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: tab key control
            Prashant Bhatnagar Level 1

You go to Type > Tabs and a tabs panel appears over the Selected text frame. From there you can adjust Tab Stops.

• 3. Re: tab key control
              tobias707 Level 1

I do in fact use the Tabs panel regularly, if without a proper understanding, as the question reflects. If I simply wish to shorten a tab key space by half and haven't done anything at all to set tabs (it's just what ID is automatically does pressing the tab button) then how is that done? I realise "setting tabs" and merely pressing the tab key to push text a bit further than a bar space are related. In attempting to set tabs, I see how to do everything else except exactly what I want to do, which is just taking this:

1. Kew Gardens

2. Earl's Court

where one hit of the tab key produces this automatically:

1.          Kew Gardens

2.          Earl's Court

but what's needed is this:

1.     Kew Gardens

2.     Earl's Court

How? Many thanks.

• 4. Re: tab key control

If you don't set your own specific tab stops ID uses default stops which are at 1/2 inch intervals, so you need to set a real tab stop where you want it.

• 5. Re: tab key control
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select the text. With the Tabs panel visible, click a tab stop where you want the first tab to be (you have to click above the ruler). The text will adjust as needed to the stop you created. Repeat if there's a second (or more) tabs.

• 6. Re: tab key control
                    SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Two ways to acomplish this in the tabs box. The frist one covers what you showed. The second also covers longer lines.

Picture 4.pngPicture 5.png

• 7. Re: tab key control
                      tobias707 Level 1

I do not see how to use ID the way it was intended to do what I wish to do here, which perhaps differs  from what you understood. I find ID counter-intuitive on this one.

Example:

1. Kew Gardens

I begin by atempting to click above the small tab ruler precisely where the tab should be, a bit fidgity when one knows the increment needs to be 8mm exactly. Clicking close to the area lands aprx 7.75 mm. I next click inside the x box to set it exactly at 8mm.. I would think it prerferable to start by inputing the increment and clicking the left justifued tab indent, but don't see how to make that work, hence this route. I'm just missing something simple.

Now I have:

1.    Kew Gardens

The next line requires again repeating the procedure above, selecting the line of text, click as close on the ruler to 8mm as possible, getting it exactly right by inputing 8. Laborious.

Why does the right justified tab not reapply in each line that I wish to tab it at again?

I wish to be selective about where this happens on the page, not having it apply to everything on the page as the method you describe seems to result in for me. What's missing here?

Thank you.

• 8. Re: tab key control
                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

It cannot get any easier than this. Repeat these steps EXACTLY, if you please.

1. Select the entire list that tou want to have the same tab settings for.

2. Cqll up the Tab ruler.

3. Click anywhere to add a fresh tab. Note that by default it is selected, and the input field shows its current position.

4. Type "8mm" in the input field and press Return.

• 9. Re: tab key control

You can select all the paragraphs at ponce and set them in one go.