8 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 2:37 PM by David W. Goodrich

Layers

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-70e8a.h tml

• 1. Re:  Layers
          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

"The Layers panel lists layers with the frontmost layer appearing at the top of the panel.

For a video tutorial on using layers, see www.adobe.com/go/lrvid5151_id_en."

In reality, this link take you to a lovely video by A-M on spanning and splitting columns. It does not go to a link on using layers (as of 5/16/12).

• 2. Re:  Layers
            David W. Goodrich Level 3

I don't question using a comment on InDesign's documentaton to note a bad link.  However, Adobe's broadcasting that to the InDesign forum wastes a lot of folks' time.

David

• 3. Re:  Layers
              jane-e Adobe Community Professional

David, Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea it was going to a forum and not staying on the Help page!

• 4. Re:  Layers
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I believe that's a new "feature" that Help comments are automatically linked to the respective forum. I think this was because they would languish unread in the Community Help. Here, for better or for worse, they get read and commented on.

• 5. Re:  Layers

@Steve: That's "automatically" in the sense of "robotically," or "no-brainer."  So we get a new thread entitled "Layers" that instead reports a lapse in updating the documentation's links: no common sense involved.  What does this say about Adobe's care for its customers?  The "for worse" is that it makes it seem that Adobe's real interest in "Community Help" is as a means to off-load support to volunteers, well-meaning folks perhaps but still human enough to feel used.  Meantime, the forum has lost the ability respond to an individual thread, or even to number them.

David

• 6. Re:  Layers
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your point is well taken (by me), but to reach the powers-that-be, you'll have better luck in the Forum Comments forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

• 7. Re:  Layers
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

David W. Goodrich wrote:

The "for worse" is that it makes it seem that Adobe's real interest in "Community Help" is as a means to off-load support to volunteers,

Ummmm....  Isn't that waht the "community" part has meant from the beginning?

I don't particularly like the change, in many ways, either, but it does seem that at least now many of the questions folks post in help (once upon a time you could only post a comment to the help pages, and it had to be reviewed) that quietly died now get some response. I thnk instead there should probably be a link to the forums to allow users to ask questions if they need to, but that other comments should stay inside the help, and there should be another link to report things like broken links and wrong destinations to someone who can actually fix them.

• 8. Re:  Layers

Well, I must be an optimist, because I still think Adobe can do better.

As for Steve's point about influencing the powers that be, the Forum Comments forum has lately been pre-occupied with untangling problems with the forums' new skin: "adobe-admin" counted two dozen within days of launch.*  Fixes are coming Real Soon Now, as Jerry Pournelle used to say.  While we wait, some discussants opine that Adobe hosts the Forum Comments as a place for users to blow off steam rather than for Adobe to learn what users think.  Prove'em wrong, Adobe.

I like Peter's suggestions, and I doubt anyone other than bean-counters appreciates the new practice of dumping comments on the documentation to the user forums: "unencumbered by the thought process" springs to mind.  And now I compound the error: my words here get added back to the documentation for Layers!

The point I was trying to make is that the forums are a community, that is, real individuals joined by their willingness to share their expertise.  I've learned a great deal lurking over the years, and I've come to know many of the regulars (though they don't know me from Adam).  Occasionally I've contributed my 2¢ to a thread.  It would behoove Adobe to invite readers of the documentation to participate in this community, not just dump them in unknowing.  After all, they're more likely to be welcomed, having at least made some effort to RTFM (contrast "Plz provide me the script").  Treating the community with respect wins friends for Adobe, and real help for those in need; dissing doesn't.

David

* I hope the list isn't ranked by priority: #3 is the disappearance of status-level images, which I Adblocked soon after the previous re-design.