4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 11:40 AM by Matt Maxwell

Video Preview not Working in CS6

Matt Maxwell Level 1

Before AE CS6, I was using AE CS 5.5 on my MacBook Pro (model 8,3)  and I could always go to AE Preferences:Video Preview and choose my additional monitor for previewing. I was previewing my Stereo 3d comps perfectly on my 3D hdtv through a HDMI to Mini Display Port cable.

I now have a Mac Pro and AE CS6 and in that preference, the "Output Device" dropdown only lists Firewire and Computer Monitor Only. With my old setup, I could choose my TV and everything was great. But this new setup won't allow me to see or choose my TV.

Please help! Has anyone else had this problem? Has something in AE CS6 changed for external monitors? I can't tell if it is CS6 or the fact that I have a new Mac Pro and it's video card might be different...

• 1. Re: Video Preview not Working in CS6
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You're probably missing whatever Quicktime component was responsible for this or haven#t enabled it. No doubt something to do with "Digital Cinema Desktop" stuff, if I remeber correctly...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Video Preview not Working in CS6
            Matt Maxwell Level 1

That's a great lead. I realized that Final Cut Cut Studio 6 was on my laptop before but it is not on my new Mac Pro. FC Studio 6 includes a bunch of codecs as I recall. So I went to install it on my new Mac Pro and I got an error message that said my Mac cant install Power PC architecture (or something like that) and wouldnt let me install it. Any Idea how I can get those codecs without installing FC Pro 6?

PS: I tried AE CS6 on my TV and it worked like a charm. There were lots more option in the Video Preview Preference.

• 3. Re: Video Preview not Working in CS6
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No idea about Mac specifics. my knowledge of that is just a fading memory. But there may be some tricks out there. Why not simply ask on an FCP or generic Mac forum how to extract installer packages without actualyl running the install? I'm sure it can be done somehow. Also someoen might be able to provide the CoDecs and you can have a spin with Perian to get them installed...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Video Preview not Working in CS6
                Matt Maxwell Level 1

I fixed it. I needed some Quicktime codecs that came with Final Cut Studio 6. They were located in my other Mac in this folder: Macintosh HD: Library: Quicktime.  Thanks for your help.