18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 8:44 AM by [Jongware]

Layers not exporting to epub

mentlity Level 1

My InDesign doc has 1 layer which is actually a header and footer and appears on all pages. The original is made from an .eps file and I see it in the links folder and the doc but it does not export to epub.

??

• 1. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Huh? I have no idea what you’re saying here.

Can you be a bit clearer please? You haven’t even told us what version of InDesign you’re using.

What do you mean the original is made from an eps file?

Bob

• 2. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
            mentlity Level 1

SO sorry, I'm in CS5.5 the .eps file I'm referring to is in the form of a link which is in a link documents folder. That folder contains all the .png's for the file which all are viewable in the converted epub.

These files were given to me by a client. All .idd files are viewable, indode that .idd file there is 1 layer which is an .eps file. That .eps file is an image that generates the header and footer images that is on every page of the doc, there are 60+ pages.

Hope I'm clearer.

RD

• 3. Re: Layers not exporting to epub

So it’s on a master page? Master items are not included in epub export.

This is by design.

Bob

• 4. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                mentlity Level 1

Ah!!!! OK so in my case how do I get the .eps to show and export so it is in everypage?

RD

• 5. Re: Layers not exporting to epub

The real question here is why would you want to? EPUB is a text-flowable format and most readers will include a running header if you include it in the metadata.

Bob

• 6. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                    mentlity Level 1

this is what it looks like and is part of the clients pages. You see a top header image and a bottom footer image. This is on all the pages in the InDesign file6figXSC.png

• 7. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You discovered a fundamental difference between an InDesign document and an e-pub.

>This is on all the pages in the InDesign file

InDesign documents have "pages", e-pub documents do not.

• 8. Re: Layers not exporting to epub

Give it up…you’ll never duplicate that unless you want to go to fixed layout epub.

Bob

• 9. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                          mentlity Level 1

I do not understand here I'm looking at an InDesign file , underneath the pages tab it says 48 pages 48 spreads all I know is as I explained there is a links folder and documents folder. In the links folder are the images for the pages, they export fine. Within that folder is an .eps file, that .eps file is an image for a footer and header. That does not export, if I look in the layers tab there is one layer, if I click on the eye the header and footer disappear. I do not know if this is the correct practice for placing the same image on multiple ages but that is what I have. Just need to know how I can export that along so it displays in the ePub file.

I understand its possible as written before that this seems to be on the master page and therfore would explain why it does not export. How can I correct so it does export?

thx

RD

• 10. Re: Layers not exporting to epub

You do not understand. EPUB is a flowable format. There is no concept of pages. Page counts are determined dynamically by the choices the reader makes for fonts and font sizes.

I strongly recommend you start with these two books:

http://amzn.to/JOr9xa

http://amzn.to/JOrks9

And then visit Lynda.com to watch Anne Marie Concepcion’s videos on the subject. This link will get you a one week free trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

• 11. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                              mentlity Level 1

Thanks for the info and I apreciate your insite on EPub. I'm now way an exert on either InDesign  or EPub. All I know is that when I export to Epub in InDesign I can see in the ADE reader and my IPad the epub file which displays ALL the pages. Those pages have text ( formatted for character and paragraph ) along with images that are fine.

The only problem is the above mentioned  .eps file not exporting with the EPub file. So instead of all that let me ask you ONE thing.

If I had an InDesign file with 30 pages of text and I needed the same image on ALL 30 pages how would I go about doing this?

RD

• 12. Re: Layers not exporting to epub

For epub? Honestly, you wouldn’t. Not for a project like this.

For the most part fixed layout epub is not designed or intended for a document like yours.

Check it out on the iPad if you’ve already gotten it to iBooks. Notice you can change the size of the font and the font itself. This will cause the number of pages to change.

Please, buy those books and check out AM’s videos. That will clear a lot of things up for you.

Bob

• 13. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                                  mentlity Level 1

Will do thx

RD

• 14. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                                    Magnolee2 Level 1

Dear Bob.

can you explain how it is possible to include running headers or chapter names into the epub. Is it possible to already include them, while the epub-export-process or is there a possibility to include them afterwards using the Table of contents?

I want the ebook reader to show a running header in each chapter, but I neither know where to put the information (no metadata field for that) nor do I know how I can use the information which is already in the INDD Document.

Thank you very much.

• 15. Re: Layers not exporting to epub

Nothing on a master page will be included. And you certainly don’t want running headers or footer since there’s no real way to control the pages.

Bob

• 16. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                                        Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't include running headers and footers in any way I know about. I think you should spend a little time looking at EPUB files. Because the text reflows, there is no predictable place to put them.

Actually, there is a way, which is to create fixed format EPUBs. However, by all I've heard, they are a pain in the b*** to create, and there is no standardization between EPUB readers. You could read about them on Liz Castro's blog postings:

Pigs, Gourds, and Wikis

There is NO way to export fixed format EPUBs from InDesign. They have to be hand-constructed (or with the assistance of scripts) using HTML and CSS.

• 17. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                                          Magnolee2 Level 1

Hey Bob,

I understand that the master page items are not included in the export process. but simply ignored. And I also see that it page numbers are not necessary thanks to the flexibility in the pages format and font sizes.

In may you wrote the following in this thread:

"EPUB is a text-flowable format and most readers will include a running header if you include it in the metadata."

I want the eReader to show the respective Chapter Name on top of the page, but my eBook doesn't show any of this, although I have a working table of contents.

Where in the metadata can I tell the epub (or inDesign) to use a specific information as the running header?

Best regards

• 18. Re: Layers not exporting to epub
                                            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Magnolee2 wrote:

Hey Bob,

I understand that the master page items are not included in the export process. but simply ignored. And I also see that it page numbers are not necessary thanks to the flexibility in the pages format and font sizes.

In may you wrote the following in this thread:

"EPUB is a text-flowable format and most readers will include a running header if you include it in the metadata."

"Running header" is actually not a metadata item. "Title" is, and this is what some e-readers display. It's also not a toggable item -- you cannot put data in your e-pub that states "for my document, the viewer should really be displaying the title as a running header".

I want the eReader to show the respective Chapter Name on top of the page, but my eBook doesn't show any of this, although I have a working table of contents.

Where in the metadata can I tell the epub (or inDesign) to use a specific information as the running header?

You can't. It entirely depends on the software and/or hardware that your readers are using what they are going to see.