5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 11:26 AM by Jay Gladwell

Am I editing right? It works... but efficiency?

TheGrandNabib Level 1

So I am pretty sure that I'm not using the most efficient process in my editing (in Premiere CS5.5). I have a large number of interviews, each of which has different audio and lighting situations, etc. So in Premiere I go through and am creating a complete sequence of each interview, replacing or editing audio where necessary, adding color correction, etc. So each full interview has the appropriate audio and image alterations when I am done with it.

What I then want to do is create a new sequence, and take related pieces of each interview and string them together, as one might expect. To do this, I've been going into each interview sequence, marking the in and out points of the segments I want, doing a Lift, and dropping them into a new sequence.

This is working fine... but is there a) any way to do this without the removal of those segments from the original sequence (both Lift and Extract take them out entirely), and b) any way to do this more efficiently?

It is working, but it feels like there has to be a better way to do this.

Oh, and one last question - is there an easy way, or a filter, to then go through and make the look of the final assembled sequence more consistent, applying an adjustment so that there is similar light/color for all the disparate clips in the sequence?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Am I editing right? It works... but efficiency?
          Jay Gladwell Level 1

"Am I editing right?"

Ah... that's the $64,000 question! (Is it possible you've bitten off more than you can chew?)

If you've created a "complete sequence of each interview" why not just open a new sequence and drop (nest) the finished sequences into it?

As to color grading, no, there is no "easy way." It's a mixture of art and science.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Am I editing right? It works... but efficiency?
            Jim Curtis Level 3

What I then want to do is create a new sequence, and take related pieces of each interview and string them together, as one might expect. To do this, I've been going into each interview sequence, marking the in and out points of the segments I want, doing a Lift, and dropping them into a new sequence.

This is working fine... but is there a) any way to do this without the removal of those segments from the original sequence (both Lift and Extract take them out entirely), and b) any way to do this more efficiently?

It is working, but it feels like there has to be a better way to do this.

Oh, and one last question - is there an easy way, or a filter, to then go through and make the look of the final assembled sequence more consistent, applying an adjustment so that there is similar light/color for all the disparate clips in the sequence?

Yes, after you do your Lift or Extract, immediately Undo.  Your selection will be in the Clipboard, and you can paste it elsewhere.

Another way to put an adjustment on multiple clips is to Nest them, and put an effect on the Nest.

• 3. Re: Am I editing right? It works... but efficiency?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

any way to do this more efficiently?

Yes.  Use the Source Monitor as it was designed.  Load the clips into that for review, set your In/Out points there and add to the sequence.  Worry about effects and audio when you're done cutting.

applying an adjustment so that there is similar light/color for all the disparate clips in the sequence?

If you upgrade to CS6, you can use an adjustment layer for this.  In previous versions, you can best the sequence into another and apply the effect that way.

• 4. Re: Am I editing right? It works... but efficiency?
                TheGrandNabib Level 1

That occurred to me, but If i do that, I have a much more challenging audio and grading job. And yes, CS6's adjustment layers are a distinct temptation to upgrade!

• 5. Re: Am I editing right? It works... but efficiency?
                  Jay Gladwell Level 1

TheGrandNabib wrote:

That occurred to me, but If i do that, I have a much more challenging audio and grading job. And yes, CS6's adjustment layers are a distinct temptation to upgrade!

Do not attempt to upgrade and finish this job in CS6. By all means, finish it in CS5.5 and get it out the door.

Then, and only then, should you move on to CS6.