13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 8:09 PM by nmgrant176

Data merge

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6c3ca.h tml

• 1. Re:  Data merge
          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

"You can use InDesign to view the path of an image on your operating system. Insert an image in an InDesign document, and then use the Links panel to view the image’s location. With the image selected, choose Copy Info > Copy Full Path from the Links panel menu. You may need to edit the path after you paste it in your data source. This technique is especially useful for images on a server."

There is an extreme amount of editing with this method! And yet, if you generated a static caption and copy it, there is zero editing! The difference between my method and your method is as below:

/Users/jane_imac/Pictures/foldername/subfoldername/photoname.psd

Macintosh HD:Users:jane_imac:Pictures:foldername:subfoldername:photoname.psd

• 2. Re:  Data merge
            brianjtalbot

When merging data with the image feature, Is there a way to reference a page number within a pdf? It seems like you should be able to include the path, followed by :, but this does not work.

• 3. Re:  Data merge
              Garland356 Level 1

Okay, so I think Microsoft has one op on Adobe when it comes to mail merges (I hurts me to say). I'm doing mailing labels (at this point my question should be obvious). It's a 4up and I want to have a different name on each label and I can't get them in the right area without a lot of guessing to the .001in. My ruler doesn't go that low.

Is it better to make a document the size of the label and print 4up? or is the multiple record set up a better way to go? Or has anyone got a work around?

• 4. Re:  Data merge
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No reason you can't do this with Data Merge. I would probably create a no-fill/no-stroke frame to be a container for the other fields.  You don't have to be accurate to the .001 inch, just measure the lable page on which you plan to print find the center of the upper left label position, then creat a frame centered on that coordinate the size of the label plus the width of and divider between labels on the die cut, so when this frame is positioned it will be outside the label area, and when duplicated you'll wind up with four frames that meet in the center of the sheet without any overlap.

Keep the merge palceholders well inside this frame so if there is drift in the printer (and there will be) you don't wind up losing information that got too close to the edge of a lable and gets cut off -- .25" would not be too much. In the merge you can now set the spacing to 0 between records and your outer frame will set the position.

• 5. Re:  Data merge
                  Garland356 Level 1

Awesome idea. That does help, but I'm still having issues. Everything shifts down and to the right by about 1.25". I can't seem to have them on the page where I would assume they would sit. Is there a way to set where the frame positioned? Instead of explaining I'll show you.

Screen Shot 2012-10-02 at 3.27.59 PM.png

Here is how I believe you said set it up. The margins and guide line are the die cut area so you can see where the labels should be. I tried with and without them thinking that was creating the problem. (Also you can see that the labels aren't in the same position and they will print off by .25" any suggestion on that? it's not enough for me to care about but it will print the bottom two labels off)

Screen Shot 2012-10-02 at 3.28.02 PM.png

When I enter the preview everything is shifted. Any ideas on what's causeing this?

Thanks

• 6. Re:  Data merge

I think there's a bug in CS6 that causes the shifting if the fields are on the master page. Move any fields onto Page 1.

There are also some problems since CS5 with the multiple record preview and files not merging corectly if you use the preview first, so take a leap of faith and merge without previewing. If it's wrong it's no big deal to run the merge again.

• 7. Re:  Data merge
                      Garland356 Level 1

Yeah I'm using CS6, but I'm not on the master page. I even switched page1 from master A to none and tried overriding all master page items. Still getting everything shiffted. In my images above I created a merge without the preview hoping that was the case aswell, but it did the same thing. The only thing I haven't tried is exporting to pdf, I'll give that a shot. But thanks for the info.

• 8. Re:  Data merge

Are you using a rotated spread? If not, give it a try, if yes, try it the hard way.

• 9. Re:  Data merge

And can you show us the Multiple Record Layout tab in the merge dialog? maybe the problem is there...

• 10. Re:  Data merge
                            Garland356 Level 1

I created a new document and removed the column, linked up the same data set and copy and pasted what was on the bad document to the new and everything sat right where it was suppose to. Perhaps multiple record options somehow references the column and possibly the margins, though the measurements weren't the same. But I got what I needed, thanks.

In answer to those questions I did not rotate the spread (though initally I did but inorder to follow the measurements in the multiple record layout menu I had turned it back) and in the menu I had all values set to 0 with "rows first" checked.

• 11. Re:  Data merge
                              sanderdolstra

Hello,

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me with a solution for an issue I have with data merging in Indesign.

We are producing a catalogue with a lot of information like prices, article numbers, product details and so on taken from a general database. From this database we export what we need to have as a .csv file. What we want to do is to merge the data fields from this file into a table with multiple data fields. So every line in the csv file has to be merged inside this table. In the future our sales department can attach new updated CSV files so we can update the tables automatically in our catalogue. Of course I've tried datamerging as it's designed but that option is for making newsletters for several persons, so that's no option.

We also have tried a Plug In called DataLinker which works perfectly but I need to find out if such a feature as I described above is being offered standard in Indesign 6?

With many regards,

Sander Dolstra

• 12. Re:  Data merge
                                Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

We also have tried a Plug In called DataLinker which works perfectly but I need to find out if such a feature as I described above is being offered standard in Indesign 6?

no. InDesign's data merge wasn't designed to handle complicated data merge projects such as phone bills, complex product catalogues etc. it can handle basic merges such as business cards, labels, direct mailers...

However, there are a plethora of catalogue plugins which can be found at http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/indepth.displayTab3.html

Otherwise, another path to consider is XML if the database can output that, but that requires knowledge of XML publishing with InDesign and that's a topic by itself.

• 13. Re:  Data merge
                                  nmgrant176 Level 1

You can skip the image path when referring to images if you locate your tab delimited text file in the same folder as the pictures. You only need to put a   \   and then the file name (\picture.jpg). Obviously if you have sub-folders you should fill that in (\images\picture.jpg). And for anyone using windows you can use a command prompt command (DIR) to output the names of the files in a specific folder to a text file, makes it very easy to add slashes at the beginning of every file name with Find/Replace in Indesign (http://www.computerhope.com/dirhlp.htm).