30 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 4:58 PM by Jim_Simon

CS6 AME Locking up

Steve from NY Level 1

We have 3 systems PC with pp cs6..all updates, 6 core 32 gigs ram.....

1 1/2 hr tl's of mpg 2 footage 35mbps 1920/1080p. correct seq settings

trying to output to ntsc mpg2 dvd. all 3 system's choking at different points.

0%, 32%, 94%

CS5.5 suite is also installed. Could there be a conflict??

UPDATE: Video Jumpbacks are making it crash, especially if opacity is altered. Other 3rd party motion backgrounds are making it crash as well. Never had this problem with 5.5.2!

What a mess!

I took the Jumpbacks & made them into mp2's which is native too the sequence i'm using & AME is still locking up.

Any ideas??

• 1. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
          Steve from NY Level 1

Anybody?

• 2. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Try transcoding them to UT files.  I've had pretty good luck using them.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

• 3. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
              Steve from NY Level 1

Does UT have an alph channel because many of the motion graphics I have are alph'd over video

• 4. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                Jim_Simon Level 8

According to the readme that comes with the codec, it does have an RGBA mode.

• 5. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                  Steve from NY Level 1

UPDATE:

I have been running tests all day with cs6 on 3 different systems all using mpg2 footage & mixing in some avi's & such. 1920/1080i & p. & have found the following.

• ame CS5.5.2 does not lock up with the exact same project files
                  • When cs6 is faced with a few layers it tends to jam up ame.
                  • I really believe that ame is not able to handle much as compared to 5.5.2
                  • 3-4 layers with opacity adjusted & no other foreign elements causes ame 6 to choke
                  • Adding in avi's just makes it even more likely
                  • I converted the avi's to UT & to mpg 2 & sometimes ame will choke on them (if there are other layersas well)
                  • JUST DID A FRESH INSTALL OF PPCS6...ame still freezes with 3 layers mp2
                  • Also opened the same project in 5.5.2 & ame renders to mpg2 dvd perfectly with 6 layers with varied opacity!

I do have both cs5.5.2 & Cs6 on all my machines so this could be a variable as well.

Any Thoughts?

Uninstall cs5.5.2?

I hope Adobe reads this post. 3 different top of the line pcs's all acting the same with different projects & all updates installed.

Gonna go back to 5.5.2 until there is a resolution. What a shame:-(

• 6. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                    Nariman Sodeifi Adobe Employee

Having 5.5.2 on same system should not matter.

Are you encoding directly in PPro or are you queuing to AME and then having AME encode it?

You have mentioned the word "Crash", "Locking up", "chock". 

So when you say it crashes, does it actually crash where it displays a dialog telling you what module it crashed on or is it actually failing and gives you a sheep noise?

Also, by lock up, you mean it hangs and sits there and doesn't move forward? What happens if you let it sit there for a while?

What happens if you create a brand new project and insert the assets from your project into this new one without any effects.  Just for testing sake and see if that encodes.

Try this:

Save your original project that you were having issues with, close PPro, launch AME, drag and drop your project in AME queue. Try encoding now to a single preset. 

Do you have issue encoding to other fomrats like H264 or QT?

• 7. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                      Steve from NY Level 1
                      • Thanks Nariman

• I have done at least 30x with PP & 30 with ame & they lock up around the same spots.
                      • If its PP doing the encode then PP freezes & I must restart it
                      • If it's ame doing the encode than I must restart it but PP stays open & fine
                      • No modual. Just freezes. If I'm using ame & watch the video as it is processed sometimes I see the image digitally get scrambled 2-3 seconds before it freezes.
                      • I have imported a cs6 project into a new cs6 project & it does not help
                      • I dropped the prj file into ame (Very cool didnt know i could do that) Still freezes & says "Reading XMP...) The gold progress bar is still turning but the video is frozen like a still about 1 minute into the seq. Then I must restart ame. After restarting ame & i try to drag the pp proj back in it says "connecting to Dynamic Link Server..." but it doesnt. Maybe have to reboot?
                      • I have tryed h.264 1920/1080 & "Match Sequence Settings" & it still freezes

Steve

• 8. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I just exported out 4 layers of MPEG, 2 with opacity adjustments, 3 with motion effects, and AME performed flawlessly.

• 9. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                          Steve from NY Level 1

Thanks for doing that Jim. I have 3 systems all behaving the same way with cs6 but 5.5.2 renders fine.I also have some avi's thrown in there too. If i remove the jumpbacks than usually i can encode fine with cs6 but cs5.5 had no problem with avi's in a mpg tl. I even converted the avi jumbacks to mpg2's & it still locks up ame when used with a couple of layers of mp2

• 10. Re: CS6 AME Locking up

Hi Steve, let's go to absolute basics and see if you are still having issues.

Close all your projects.  In PPro add 30 sec bar and tone. Save it as a project. Export to the format you like.  Is it freezing? I want to know if it happens to all and every project or just some of them.

• 11. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                              Steve from NY Level 1

Bars & tone are fine. I added 3 layers of avi jumpbacks above the bars & 50% opacity on each & it was fine in PP & AME

• 12. Re: CS6 AME Locking up

Start adding one asset (video clip from your other project) at a time to the bar and tone project and see if you still have problems.

• 13. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                  Steve from NY Level 1

Just did 9 layers & it was fine ,

Mixed mpg, avi, bars, mts files

I dont know what to do. Are there any other ame/pp updates coming out soon?

Should I wipe the drive & do a fresh install?

• 14. Re: CS6 AME Locking up

Try this.

Close PPro, Launch AME, go to Preferences > Media > Media Cache Databse > Clean.

Now try encoding and see if that solves the issue.

if you still have issue,

Close PPro, Launch AME, go to Preferences > Metadata :  uncheck the box "write xmp id to files..."

Now try it.

If that didn't solve it, re-check the option that you just disabled. 

• 15. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                      Steve from NY Level 1

I will try that thanks.

Just got done with a fresh test & I got an error message.

"Error compiling movie" Unkown error.

5layers( 1 mts, 3 mp2, 1 avi) it was yellow barred

Just tryed it a 2nd time & got erroe: Multiplexing has failed. Please recheck the settings & try again.

Just tryed to "Force render" the section & PP froze at 11%

After closing PP got error message: "Runtime Error! Program:C\Progra...

R6025 - pure virtual call

what do these messages mean?

• 16. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                        Steve from NY Level 1

Hi Nariman,

Just cleaned the cache & my 5 layer test now renders fine. Time to go to sleep as it is 3:30am here. Not sure if this is the cure without running other tests. I did move the cache earlier to a different drive hoping that was it & it wasn't. But this is the 1st time i "Cleaned it". What does cleaning the cashe do? and how might that be my problem?

Thanks,

Steve from NY

• 17. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Steve,

Please don't double-post.  I deleted your other topic.

Jeff

• 18. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                            Steve from NY Level 1

Sorry Jeff I hadnt realized there was an AME forum till after i posted in PP

• 19. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                              Steve from NY Level 1

Nariman,

I have notice that if I take off the adobe lower 3rd, my sequence transcodes fine. It is on top of 1 avi & 1 mp2 clip.

Is there any problems with the titler or an preferences i need to alter? Or a work around?

Thanks

• 20. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Steve from NY wrote:

Sorry Jeff I hadnt realized there was an AME forum till after i posted in PP

No worries.  There's a lot of cross-over because of the way that Pr can export sequences.  Either forum is OK, just not both.

Jeff

• 21. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                  Steve from NY Level 1

I just confirmed what i feel is the issue (BUG) with PP/AME

• I can export through PP & AME 9 layers & more of mixed opacities, mixed PinP, mixed formats dv avi, additional filters like B/W, mpg 1920 (I am on a 1920/1080i TL) & have no problem
                                                  • Once i add a title over 2 PinP mpg2 layers above 1 layer of full size mp2  full size with opacity below 100% (also tryed dv avi) it locks up!
                                                  • We have confirmed this in all 3 of our systems, with different footage but with the same type of materials.

PLEASE Test :

• Mpg2 ntsc 1920/1080i Seq
                                                  • Layer1: Full size video set opacity to 50%,  MPG2 or dv-avi will do
                                                  • Layer2: MPG2 reduced size for PinP
                                                  • Mayer3: different clip  MPG2 reduced size for PinP
                                                  • Layer4: Adobe title

It locks up using PPCS6 & AME on all 3 of our work stations. Opening the same projects on all 3 machines in cs5.5.2 does not lock up during transcoding.

We have I7980's, 32 gigs ram, Raids, Cuda card......

• 22. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                    Dima Tikhonov Adobe Employee

Steve, could you please try disabling CUDA and see if that fixes your lock up?

You can do that by simply openening PPro (any project) and going to:

- Menu -> Project -> Project Settings -> General... -> Choose Renderer: "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" -> OK

It's a master switch so it will affect AME as well as PPro until you set it back to CUDA renderer.

• 23. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                      Steve from NY Level 1

Dima, thanks...your " Work Around" helped me get through the present job (took forever though)! FYI: My video card is on the Cuda approved list, isn't it?

I didn't think CUDA had anything to do with encoding though. I disabled hardware cuda for Software Only, on 2 of our systems & Everything transcodes  fine in PP & AME ( I did my 9 layer test, mixed formats & effects). But I get red bars on mostly everything now & need the CUDA as I am a total speed freek. What do I do?? I have 3 exact duplicate brand new 6 core i7 980 systems with nvidia Geforce GTX 570 cards.

FYI: I turned Hardware Cuda back on & it froze immediately.

What does this mean? Do I have to replace 3 brand new Videocards for something else$$. The card is on your approved list.  PP CS5.5.2 "Hardware Enabled" works flawlessly on all 3 systems with 9 layers + the Adobe title layer(which seems to be the determining factor in cs6) with the GTX 570's + yet CS6 cant go over 1 or 2 PinP layers + 1 title without freezing up.

Thanks so much for your help. LOVE ADOBE! LOVE your tech support!! Please advizzzzzzzze as i have many cs6 edits started already & are under a lot of pressure right now.

Steve

• 24. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                        Steve from NY Level 1

Adobe please advize. We are in a holding pattern & work is backing up.

• 25. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We're working on a fix for this now. We can never promise specific delivery dates or functionality for updates, but I recommend that you check back here for an update near the end of this week.

• 26. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                            Steve from NY Level 1

Thank you Todd. Will-do.

I was reading some posts when 5.0 came out & they were having the same trouble i am having with 6.0. Adobe acted swiftly & fixed it, so I am not worried:-)

• 27. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                              PLEASE Test :
                                                              • Mpg2 ntsc 1920/1080i Seq
                                                              • Layer1: Full size video set opacity to 50%,  MPG2 or dv-avi will do
                                                              • Layer2: MPG2 reduced size for PinP
                                                              • Mayer3: different clip  MPG2 reduced size for PinP
                                                              • Layer4: Adobe title

Works just fine for me with hardware acceleration on.

• 28. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                                Steve from NY Level 1

Thanks Jim. The problem seems to be with certain video cards when  the Cuda is enabled.

• 29. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                                  Steve from NY Level 1

FYI: It seems to lock up equally whether AME Application or PP is being used to transcode...However, occasionally when PP locks up my mpg2 dvd transcoding, sometimes AME will not lock up. But this is rare. Just wanted you to be aware of this.

My videocard is:

EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687

• 30. Re: CS6 AME Locking up
                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Mine's a 560 Ti.  Not even on the list, but it works.

Strange.