More Director 11 News

Level 7
      For those who haven't seen it, here is an article with more info on the
      upcoming release:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/director11.html

• 1. Re: More Director 11 News
          Level 7
          FTA: "Now Adobe is making this powerful, easy-to-use multimedia tool
          available for everyone by delivering the newest version, at a lower cost
          than ever. "

I don't remember Director costing more then $999. What was it before? $1029
          or something?

Thanks for posting the link!

TR

"TJD" <TJDanon@cox.net> wrote in message
          news:fr7cq8$gqv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > For those who haven't seen it, here is an article with more info on the
          > upcoming release:
          >
          > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/director11.html

• 2. Re: More Director 11 News
            liveoak
            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            I don't remember Director costing more then $999. What was it before? $1029
            or something?

List prices used to be $1299, (and seem to remember most upgrades costing $399, though the MX to MX 2004 upgrade was only $199)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0001ACASY/ref=sr_1_olp_6?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=12 05364307&sr=1-6
            • 3. Re: More Director 11 News
              Level 7
              Wow, what a huge price break!!!!

"liveoak" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fr9p4h$7e1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >
              quote:

> I don't remember Director costing more then $999. What was it before?
              > $1029
              > or something?
              >

> List prices used to be $1299, (and seem to remember most upgrades costing
              > $399, though the MX to MX 2004 upgrade was only $199)
              >
              >
              > http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0001ACASY/ref=sr_1_olp_6?ie=UTF8&s=softw
              > are&qid=1205364307&sr=1-6
              >
              >

• 4. Re: More Director 11 News
                Cpt.Haddock Level 1
                I just read the article, thanks for the link, but now I am very concerned.
                The "new platforms" paragraph lists the supported platforms in playback and authoring but OS X 10.5 isn't listed as an authoring environment. What gives? I now not only have to buy a new intel Mac, but I also have to remove the supplied OS and downgrade to 10.4 (Tiger), not sure that this is a good thing at all. As far I can see putting Tiger on a new mac would seriously compromise its performance and compatibility with all the rest of the Leopard ready software.
                Is this article correct or should I take it that someone isn't quite up to speed with the Mac OS.?
                If this is correct it will prevent me from using Director 11 I'm afraid, and I would be very unhappy about that.
                • 5. Re: More Director 11 News
                  Level 7
                  tr wrote:
                  > Wow, what a huge price break!!!!
                  >
                  >
                  > "liveoak" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > news:fr9p4h$7e1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>
                  quote:

>> I don't remember Director costing more then $999. What was it before?
                  >> $1029
                  >> or something?
                  >>

>> List prices used to be $1299, (and seem to remember most upgrades costing
                  >> $399, though the MX to MX 2004 upgrade was only $199)
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0001ACASY/ref=sr_1_olp_6?ie=UTF8&s=softw
                  >> are&qid=1205364307&sr=1-6
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >
                  Another issue with the upgrade pricing is that it apparently does not
                  include a printed Lingo manual. Just a download. Not having printed
                  documentation is really a feature cut not a price cut. I am also
                  wondering whether this is really V11 or more like 10.5. Is there really
                  enough new features in this release to call it D11?
                  • 6. More Director 11 News
                    Brian Stew Level 2
                    I haven't had a printed manual for Director for years. Anyway they/it was crap. Incredibly convoluted - not only the content but even physically with its very small fonts. Director should really come with a warning sticker that you DO inedeed need a third party book to understand this program and to avoid immediate discouragement. Amazingly, several of these 3d part books makes Director quite easy to wrangle, concidering what it can do.
                    The Online Help system in Director is pretty good however, and more important in day to day use. The download version will of course feature this.

But is this D11 or 'just' 10.5? As far as I remember, there were some significant changes / new features in 8.5 from 8.0. They could have called 8.5 for 9 instead... 8.5 to MX wasn't that significant, and MX to MX2004 (the current version for a few days yet) wasn't even cosmetic. Add it up yourself... But in the end it's Marketing who has the last word here.

Support on and for current OS'es will be the main feature of the update. A new physics engine and (even) wider file format support will merit calling it a full step upgrade. Myself I can accept waiting for a .5 upgrade later with support for AS3 for instance (and yes, I even use AS3 now). The previous mentioned are the core features that must out now. I hope the Bangalore staff will continue their momentum and add long awaited elements to Director on the way, and release new updates frequently.
                    • 7. Re: More Director 11 News
                      liveoak Level 1
                      quote:

Another issue with the upgrade pricing is that it apparently does not
                      include a printed Lingo manual.

Is there really enough new features in this release to call it D11?

Upgrade from MX to MX 2004 had no manual either.

As for the naming of D11, there are established rules on naming new releases. A major rewrite of the underlying code for a program dictates that it is a new version, even if minimal new functionality is added. And a complete renovation of Director's ancient underlying code is the best thing that can happen for the long-term health of Director.
                      • 8. Re: More Director 11 News
                        gresh
                        Just curious...

From the Director 11 FAQ:

The estimated street price for Adobe Director 11 is US$999, and US$299 for the upgrade. Adobe has reduced the price of Director for this release. For information on upgrade options for Director, refer to upgrade details.
                        I log in and get told the upgrade price from Director MX2004 to Director 11 is $US384, and the full price is $US1284.

Since there is no such thing as a street price for a downloadable upgrade, I'm wondering where Adobe get the figure of $299?

Paul
                        • 9. Re: More Director 11 News
                          thismarty Level 1
                          I ordered my upgrade for $299 with nary a difficulty.
                          • 10. More Director 11 News
                            gresh Level 1
                            Maybe it depends on where you live -- I'm in New Zealand.
                            Never mind -- I just paid the $us384.
                            I don't care about the extra $85, just would be refreshing to see a bit more honesty with advertising.

Paul
                            • 11. Re: More Director 11 News
                              Level 7
                              > Maybe it depends on where you live -- I'm in New Zealand.

So am I - and it definitely depends where you live. For Kiwis they
                              charge US$384 for the upgrade. Dean Utian looked into why (it's more
                              expensive in Australia), and this was his summary:
                              <quote>
                              Adobe Online store caters mainly for the USA. In other parts of the
                              world there are resellers. To give the resellers a competitive
                              advantage, the online store has a surcharge so resellers can sell the
                              software cheaper than if you buy from direct from Adobe.

Now, why is Australia the most expensive if you look at the online
                              store? It's because we have the most resellers of any place in the world
                              (over 4,000 I was told).
                              </quote>
                              • 12. Re: More Director 11 News
                                Sam43054
                                So if you go with the download (upgrade)

Anyone know if you will be able to buy a printed manual ?
                                • 13. Re: More Director 11 News
                                  Helgetjelta
                                  quote:

Originally posted by: Cpt.Haddock
                                  I just read the article, thanks for the link, but now I am very concerned.
                                  The "new platforms" paragraph lists the supported platforms in playback and authoring but OS X 10.5 isn't listed as an authoring environment. What gives? I now not only have to buy a new intel Mac, but I also have to remove the supplied OS and downgrade to 10.4 (Tiger), not sure that this is a good thing at all. As far I can see putting Tiger on a new mac would seriously compromise its performance and compatibility with all the rest of the Leopard ready software.
                                  Is this article correct or should I take it that someone isn't quite up to speed with the Mac OS.?
                                  If this is correct it will prevent me from using Director 11 I'm afraid, and I would be very unhappy about that.

I don't like this either, I'm building up a new machine now (MacPro 8core for video) but I'm going to run Director on it as well. I have big time kiosk to make, and I'm waiting for the D11 to run on the 10.5.2..... I don't know if it will start on 10.4....

But, Adobe, face it, are you trying to kill all mac users? Please tell us if there will be 10.5 authoring support.... if not.....?

sincerly Helge
                                  • 14. Re: More Director 11 News
                                    Martin Schaefer Level 1
                                    quote:

But, Adobe, face it, are you trying to kill all mac users? Please tell us if there will be 10.5 authoring support.... if not.....?

Helge,

Adobe already told you. No official support for 10.5 authoring. But nobody will stop you trying it. :)

Cheers,
                                    Martin
                                    • 15. Re: More Director 11 News
                                      Level 7
                                      I'm new to macOS but have to port in nearest future some projects ,
                                      developed for Windows on Mac

And therefore the question from newbie.
                                      Is there any possibility to develope in Director under Mac OS X 10.5?
                                      Can Director 11 be started under Rosetta or does Version 10.5 have no
                                      Rosetta in it?

Can older versions of Director (for example MX 2004) be started under
                                      Rosetta on Mac OS X 10.5?

Any help will be appreciated
                                      Orest

"Macromartin" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                      news:fs0df3$635$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >
                                      quote:

But, Adobe, face it, are you trying to kill all mac users? Please
                                      > tell us
                                      > if there will be 10.5 authoring support.... if not.....?

>
                                      > Helge,
                                      >
                                      > Adobe already told you. No official support for 10.5 authoring. But
                                      > nobody will stop you trying it. :)
                                      >
                                      > Cheers,
                                      > Martin
                                      >

• 16. Re: More Director 11 News
                                        thismarty Level 1
                                        Well, it's 1PM EST 3/21 and no word of D11 being downloadable today.

So, I guess "by March 24th" means "March 24th".

For now, at least.

;-)
                                        • 17. Re: More Director 11 News
                                          skiplondon
                                          From what Adobe has told us directly, the software will be available on March 25th, not the 24th unless something has changed.

• 18. Re: More Director 11 News
                                            BSpero Level 1
                                            I love that if I want to upgrade to Director 11 on my G5, I have to go out and buy a new Mac, since it only runs on Intel. BUT, I also have to buy Tiger so that I can downgrade the system to something that Director is qualified to run on. Creating those interactive CDs is going to be great too, since every new Mac in the last 6 months has shipped with Leopard, and the installed base of it is something like 20% (not totally sure of that). So, my applications might work with Leopard, but in order to try them, I will need another machine, or another OS on my drive to boot to, since I am running Tiger for the authoring environment.
                                            • 19. Re: More Director 11 News
                                              gresh Level 1
                                              Leopard issues were caused by Apple, not Adobe. If they stopped changing OSX every five minutes, and told app developers what they were doing maybe Adobe could have done something about it.
                                              Apple made a lot of changes to Leopard's graphics API's.
                                              • 20. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                thismarty Level 1
                                                My Adobe Store order status page says that the upgrade download will be available "by March 24".

For what it's worth.

• 21. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                  Sam43054 Level 1
                                                  quote:

Originally posted by: gresh
                                                  Leopard issues were caused by Apple, not Adobe. If they stopped changing OSX every five minutes, and told app developers what they were doing maybe Adobe could have done something about it.
                                                  Apple made a lot of changes to Leopard's graphics API's.

Well..... I had to chuckle

Microsoft was late with getting Visa out and people where upset
                                                  Apple updates their OS after about 1.5 years and it makes it hard on developers

So I am going to start a new topic

Regardless if you are a Mac or Windows user, how hard do you find it to keep your favorite app working with your current OS ?
                                                  • 22. More Director 11 News
                                                    gresh Level 1
                                                    Maybe I was a bit hard on Apple -- MS aren't perfect either :-).
                                                    but then I've been snowed under with Flash complaints since Apple dropped flash support from Quicktime 7.4.
                                                    • 23. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                      Cpt.Haddock Level 1
                                                      Glad to know there are others who are feeling unhappy about what Adobe are doing to the Mac version of Director.
                                                      It seems we are now in the stupid situation that we cannot even buy an Apple machine that will be able to author a director movie out of the box. I think that to say it is Apple's fault for changing the OS is ridiculous. Adobe have managed to make most of there major applications, Photoshop, and all of the creative suite for example, Leopard and Intel Friendly so this is a poor excuse. There is no way I can run a Mac with a downgraded old OS just for the sake of Director. This whole thing is just not making any sense. When I think of the money that I and my company have invested in Director and for that matter Adobe it just p's me off to be dumped like this. The worst thing is that I really like using Director and have invested a lot of time in learning how to use it. I don't want to be forced away because of a lazy attitude to its development. I need to keep up with whatever is current to be competitive in this market, to push new ideas and to keep a backward compatibility with stuff I need to update and maintain. End of rant for now!
                                                      • 24. More Director 11 News
                                                        Steveorevo Level 1
                                                        @Cpt.Haddock
                                                        You may want to switch platforms as Apple+Adobe is not what it used to be. Remember that Steve Jobs has a biff with Adobe since Adobe embraced M$. No Flash support in Quicktime anymore, Windows only Apps (Adobe OnLocation, Adobe Encore). Adobe's support for BlueRay authoring, (Apple doesn't like BlueRay -Steve wants all content delivered through him). I know you feel that it is Adobe's fault that Apple changed its API. But remember that Apple has, on record, the poorest 3rd party development support (yet a very nice API -if you can get the docs on it) -iPhone for example. Perhaps Adobe's psychic connection to Apple in the future will improve.

Good luck!
                                                        • 25. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                          Cpt.Haddock Level 1
                                                          @scarroll
                                                          I can't just switch platforms like that. It may come as a shock to you but Director is not the only software I use. I have a huge investment in my current hardware and software set up. It would be extremely expensive and time consuming to switch. Not only is there the small matter of my dislike of all that is Windows, I'm just way way too far along this learning curve to get off and start again now. Why should I? No! I can't believe that Adobe are somehow crippling Director as some sort of personal vendetta against Steve Jobs and Apple, that would be just stupid wouldn't it? Your evidence is scant, weak and has no real evidence to back it up. The only loser in that scenario would be Adobe, as they would lose a client in me and many other Mac based authors/developers. I already moved my 3D development to Unity. They are in great danger of losing the rest.
                                                          • 26. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                            Martin Schaefer Level 1
                                                            All that ranting is rather senseless as long as you haven't tested D11. Can't you just wait these 1 or 2 days and then download the trial version when released? Don't you want to understand the difference between "not officially supported" and "impossible"?

And besides of that I have to say that imho it's all a question of market penetration. How can Adobe put more than 50% of its effort into a platform that has just about 4% market share, at best?
                                                            And how can you develop software on a Mac while more than 90% of your potential users have a Windows box? And you dare to say that you dislike all that's Windows. Wow, so you disparage about 95% of your software's end-users?

Anyways. You have moved from Shockwave 3D to Unity, you sure will be able to move from Mac to Windows if this helps you pay your bills. ;) Just take it eeeeeasy.

Cheers,
                                                            Martin
                                                            • 27. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                              Steveorevo Level 1
                                                              @Cpt.Haddock
                                                              I think you misread me. I'm not saying that Adobe is crippling there software for Apple... Not at all. Nor did I provide any 'evidence'. Rather, I suspect that it is quite the opposite. I'm saying that Apple doesn't care much for anything Adobe right now. Director, Flash, Premier, the list goes on.

( http://digg.com/apple/Steve_Jobs_pans_Flash_on_the_iPhone)

Macromartin does bring up a good point though, if you are developing for Windows clients, shouldn't you at least have a Windows box to test on? You can't afford to run bootcamp?

But then again, maybe you are not developing for Windows clients. If your concern is that Director doesn't run on your latest Mac, how is this different then when Jobs switched to Intel and all your older Director stuff suddenly went into Rossetta emulation mode. Man, that would suck! I feel for you. But again, I don't think that its Adobe's fault. I personally feel that it is Apple/Jobs's own undoing.

• 28. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                                Necromanthus Level 2
                                                                quote:

Originally posted by: Macromartin
                                                                And besides of that I have to say that imho it's all a question of market penetration. How can Adobe put more than 50% of its effort into a platform that has just about 4% market share, at best?
                                                                And how can you develop software on a Mac while more than 90% of your potential users have a Windows box? And you dare to say that you dislike all that's Windows. Wow, so you disparage about 95% of your software's end-users?

More than true Martin.
                                                                And talking about Unity3D: with a plugin popularity of less than 2% they have no future!
                                                                I'm really sorry for Tom Higgins (I liked that guy) ...

cheers

• 29. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                                  www.gamesmaken.pagina.nl
                                                                  But allmost any gamedevelopment kit has a webplayer plugin now. Even a tool like gamemaker has a webplugin, and so has torque. I wander if shockwave will keep the lead....
                                                                  • 30. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                                    KingDruid
                                                                    quote:

Originally posted by: www.gamesmaken.pagina.nl
                                                                    But allmost any gamedevelopment kit has a webplayer plugin now. Even a tool like gamemaker has a webplugin, and so has torque. I wander if shockwave will keep the lead....

Where did you see a web plugin for Torque? I am really interested in that. I thought I saw one but it was only for 2D.
                                                                    • 31. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                                      Cpt.Haddock Level 1
                                                                      Hey! I don't mind if YOU use Windows, Its just not for me. OK!
                                                                      I don't know which version of Director you use but mine can author for both platforms and does so quite happily. This stuff even gets to run on Windows boxes that I buy, set-up and maintain, but I would not want to start having to have one machine for authoring director stuff and another for the rest, way too much hastle swopping files around etc. I have a system that works for me, all on a single machine.
                                                                      I don't disparage anyone for using Windows, It's up to them.
                                                                      I make touchscreen installations, the users don't get a choice anyway.
                                                                      I endeavour to make the best presentations I can, and for ME that means using a Mac, and my problem is that Adobe have left me with no sensible way to upgrade to D11 it seems. ( maybe it will run in Leopard, this is not clear yet) If they don't want to support the Mac OS why don't they just say that. Then at least I can get on and find some other way to do these things.

I think Unity is so far ahead of Director that they just don't compare. you should check it out! They will have a big future. Tom Higgins is no fool, Director is the one going nowhere with 3D in my opinion.

• 32. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                                        Necromanthus Level 2
                                                                        quote:

Originally posted by: Cpt.Haddock

I think Unity is so far ahead of Director that they just don't compare. you should check it out! They will have a big future.

Are you still here?
                                                                        ;)
                                                                        p.s.
                                                                        I agree: Unity3D is better than the current (obsolete) SW3D.
                                                                        So what?
                                                                        Unity3D is trying to penetrate the market for a couple of years.
                                                                        And the result: the "ugly" SW3D gets 58-62% and the "nice" Unity gets less than 2%.
                                                                        I don't see that "big future" ... Unity3D is already old on the market.
                                                                        • 33. Re: More Director 11 News
                                                                          Steveorevo Level 1
                                                                          Hmmm, I've seen Unity and Adobe knows 3D is important. Look at Acrobat 3D! They just don't know where to stick it or know that they need to give developers what *they* want. I.e. newest shaders, etc. In the meantime, I think competing products like Unity3D or even Caligari truePlay (which has been bought by M$ to compete with Google 3D)

Unfortunately Adobe is really bad at marketing. They are doing 'great' but they could do so much better. Director *could* catch up, but I think there is too much of a Disconnection between all Adobe products from a developer point of view. As a designer, Adobe rocks, but if they could get all there APIs to co-mingle then it would work. But when I think of development, Adobe ranks dead last.

Right now they lose out on any Value Added Resale of their products (i.e. M$ Office Suite w/M$ development tools vs CS3 Suite and ???, Adobe AIR, Director, Flash, DW, etc, don't integrate or extend themselves worth jack). Sure there is JavaScript, but its implemented differently in every application. Writing plug-ins for anything Adobe is like a trip back to 'C' in 1980.