2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 11:50 PM by bluejay556

Help with Motion Tracking and Masking?

bluejay556 Level 1

Hi. First and probably only post here. I've got a bit of an issue....

I'm trying to create "snapshots" in my video that are created from masks which are then motion tracked and remain stationary. Here's a video of what i'm talking about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OhVAduuJc8

The problem I'm running into is that after i motion track the layer, select a null object as the target, duplicate the video layer, mask the object, freeze frame, and pair it to a null layer, the object does not remain stationary as the ones in the video do. Instead it moves WITH the null object and I cant figure out why. I've gotten a tutorial from the guy who made the video, however it's private so i don't know if you guys will be able to see it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY0QLrMCcGM

Either way, i followed the tutorial exactly and still to no avail. Are my settings messed up or what exactly is going on? Ive successfully done this project before but now that i'm using CS5, i'm running into these issues. If anyone has any advice i'd gladly try it out and return with the results.

Thanks so much for trying to help me out.

• 1. Re: Help with Motion Tracking and Masking?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not sure what you are not understanding. Your Null is still moving, is it not? Just freeezing the footage doesn't resolve the parenting relation ship and motion. You need to freeze your Null just as well.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help with Motion Tracking and Masking?
            bluejay556 Level 1

Yeah the null is still moving. Will freezing it lock the mask into place while still allowing the footage to play through? And how would i go about "freezing the null"?

I just dont understand how this person does it in the tutorial, and the mask remains in place. I know you probably can't watch the tutorial cause the user has it set as private, but as far i know his mask stays in place, but uses the null (while still moving) as a tracking device to keep the mask from floating out of control as the camera moves through the shot.

Sorry if I'm making this rather confusing. It's difficult to explain.

Maybe it might be easier to explain how you would obtain the result from the video I've posted? Keep in mind I dont have CameraTracker.