5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 10:30 AM by the_wine_snob

Move all clips to the right

Dpbe Level 1

In Premiere Pro there is a Track Select Tool which let you select all the items on one or more tracks from a given point. This was easy when you made a rough cut and after that you want to create an intro. You simply shift everything from that point to right in the timeline to create some workspace.

In Premiere Elements I cannot find how to do this. I can zoom out the whole project and select all the items en drag them to the right but there must be an easier way, like in Premiere Pro. Can somebody help me with this?

• 1. Re: Move all clips to the right
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE is a bit difference, in that there is no Track Select Tool, but there are two easy ways to do what you describe.

1. One, the Ripple Edit, is done by just dragging the desired Intro Clip to the head of the Timeline. By default, that will be a Ripple Edit, and every Clip on the Tiimeline will move to the right, to accommodate that Clip.
          2. The other way is to hit Ctrl+A (Cmd+A on a Mac) to Select All, then drag everything to the right, allowing room for the insertion of the Intro Clip.

Hope that helps,

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Move all clips to the right
            Dpbe Level 1

Thanks Bill!

I know the methods you mentioned but I am still missing the Track Select Tool to create some empty workspace. It can be done by Ripple Edit but it is not very comfortable to me. CTRL-A is only an option if you want to add some items at the beginning. If you are in the middle of your project  and you want to create some empty workspace it´s not gonna work.

I think I have to get used to the Ripple Edit.

One more example:

I inserted black video for 4 seconds. After putting a soundtrack to my project it needs to be 5 seconds of black video. In Premiere Pro I shifted everthing to the right and extended the black video clip. Now I have to delete the black video and reinsert it with some more seconds. The same for a clip I cut at 5 seconds. At second thought it should be 7 seconds. How can I extend it without deleting and reinserting it (if the clip is in the middle of a project)?

Dimitri

• 3. Re: Move all clips to the right
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For that Black Video, if I read what you need to do correctly, just click on the Tail of that Clip, and drag to the right. Do not use any modifier keys. That will increase the Duration of the Black Video, and will Ripple all following Clips to the right, to accommodate the increase.

The best that I have ever found, with regard to Selecting and Moving all Clips beyond a point is to "lasso" them with the Cursor. If one needs to add Clips to that Selection, then Shift-Click on it/them. If one needs to delete Clips from that Selection, then Alt-cick on those.

The other option is to just do a Ripple insert at the point of the CTI, and let it "shove" all Clips to the right, to accommodate that.

PrPro, as of CS 5.5, has added a Selection option, for All Clips Right of CTI (Current Time Indicator). Not sure if PrE will adopt that option, or Track Targeting in PrE 11, which will probably be released in Sept/Oct of 2012, if normal historic schedules hold.

I find things much easier, when one only has a few Video and Audio Tracks, but I always end up with a bunch of each, so things DO get more tricky.

As you have referred to both PrE and PrPro, be aware that the default edit is just the opposite, in each program. In PrE, the default edit is the Ripple Edit, and one would use the Ctrl modifier key to make that into an Insert Edit, where you "replace" existing Clips, with the one being dragged. In PrPro, the default is the Insert Edit, and the Ctrl modifier key, converts that to Ripple Edit. As I use both programs, I have to keep reminding myself, which program I am working in, to get that part correct. It appears that the program designers made assumptions about which type of Edit, their users would want most often, and set that as the default. Personally, I'd like to see it the same in each program, but to change now, would anger many long-time users.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Move all clips to the right
                Dpbe Level 1

Thanks again!

I used to edit my movies with PrPr but that program was too "professional" for my needs. That´s why I switched to PrE. Indeed the default edit is the opposite and that´s why the Track Select Tool is missing. It makes no sense when ripple editing.

Extending the black video (or other clips) is as easy as you described. I did not notice that.

The lassoo option is a bit tricky. There is always the possibility of some floating titles or stills which you can miss when lassooing.

I can go on now with my movie. Thanks again!

Dimitri

• 5. Re: Move all clips to the right
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The lassoo option is a bit tricky. There is always the possibility of some floating titles or stills which you can miss when lassooing.

I agree with you on this point. I often will lasso, and then use the Alt+click to add to that Selection.

Part of MY problem is that PrE is only on my 17" laptop, so I do not have my dual 21" monitors, with tons of screen space. Things are much smaller, and it is more difficult to fully display an intricate Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt