7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 9:09 AM by the_wine_snob

5.1 Sound problem

Vetabirish

Hi!

I would like to build a 5.1 sound track. But I have a "slight" problem. The track that I assign to go to the back (LS and RS) they play in front also.

I would like to know what and how can I do it! I did placed the puck (black dot) to the desired corner for each track.

Unfortunately, my sound to the speakers is outputting through a Black Magic DeckLink card (through the HDMI port) into an DENON surround amplifier. and I don't know for what reason is not outputting in 5.1, so always when I do a change/test I have to export and burn on a DVD and play it on a dvd player (hdmi connection with the same Denon) to see the result.

Thank you so much for your help!Untitled-1.jpg

• 1. Re: 5.1 Sound problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I noticed is that your first four Audio Tracks are also all being fed (at two different levels) to the Center Channel too. That can lead to a very muddy sound, with too much "phantom" sound in the other channels.

I would dial back the Center Channel dials, for those first four Channels, especially as you have a Center Channel source.

Good luck, and I will keep looking at your screen-cap (thank you for that), to see if anything else sticks out.

Hunt

• 2. Re: 5.1 Sound problem
            Vetabirish Level 1

I did 2 tests, With the center Channel dials, one at 0% and the other one at 100%. No change, same....

Audio 1 and audio 2 is a stereo recording with 2 microphones (one pointed to the left of the crowd and the other one to the right). This was recorded with a ZOOM Handy Recorder. Then, Audio 3 and 4 is the sound that comes from the sound man board (only music from the CD) that was recorded in the same time with the video on a KiPro.

This a dance show, and the client would like to have the sound in surround. So I wanted to put the crowd noise in the back speakers. But when I play the result, plays in the front speakers also...even if they are panned to the back. Normally in the front during the applause I should not have sound. But I  do..........

Thank you so much for your time and help!

Mike

• 3. Re: 5.1 Sound problem
              Vetabirish Level 1

Do you think that the problem comes when I do the export? I found a post from 2011 when you are also commenting. I'm exporting in Dolby Digital....then I saw the SurCode...I tryed once but....it didn't work. Maybe Encore turns my sound from 5.1 to stereo?? I couldn't fine any setting for 5.1 in Encore....

• 4. Re: 5.1 Sound problem
                Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To get 5.1 into Encore you have to export a 5.1 Dolby AC3 file along with the video file, You then import these into Encore and put them on a timeline.

You can't just use Dynamic Link from Premiere to Encore. (This is true for CS5.5, I don't think it has changed for CS6). If you use DL the 5.1 will be converted to stereo. You do have to use the Surcode plugin which will cost you money.

Richard Knight

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 5.1 Sound problem
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS Encoder plug-in?

You will need that, to Encode to DD 5.1 SS AC3, which Encore can handle easily.

Unless it has changed in En CS6, you will not be able to use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), but will need to Export the Video Stream as one file, and the DD 5.1 SS AC3 (Audio Stream only), separately. In En, Import the Video file as a Timeline, and the DD 5.1 SS AC3, as an Asset. From the En Project Panel, drag the AC3 to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: 5.1 Sound problem
                    Vetabirish Level 1

Well....That's not so nice that we can't freely export a 5.1 sound!

• 7. Re: 5.1 Sound problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

That is how it's been, since at least PrPro 2.0. One got 3 free trials of the SurCode plug-in, but then had to buy it. Not sure if one still gets three trials. Also, at one time, Minnetonka Audio offered a "preferred Premiere customer" price reduction, but I believe that has been discontinued.

Now, even with a fully DD 5.1 SS AC3 file, one ONLY gets "pass-thru" in En so all monitoring in En WILL be stereo, but when one burns to DVD-Video, or BD, the AC3 (provided that AC3 is the setting) will produce the full DD 5.1 SS. Hence, all monitoring of the DD 5.1 SS will need to be done in PrPro, prior to Export for the Audio Stream.

Good luck,

Hunt