3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 11:45 AM by dh91

Revert AE comp to original clip

dh91 Level 1

Hey everyone,

Is there a way to revert the After Effects comp back to the original clip after it has been edited and such in After Effects?

I ask, because I went to edit my AE comp inside premiere by right clicking > edit original. AE CS6 opened, and became unresponsive. When I force quit, the AE comps in my timeline all went blank. They are still there, but there is no video or anything.

Is there a way to fix this? I also can't "edit original" anymore, only replace with AE comp.

If not, how can I just revert the clip back to it's original form?

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Revert AE comp to original clip
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No you cannot.

Workaround is to copy clip, super impose and strecht to make handels.

If things dont work out you still have the untouched underlying clip.

FEATURE request

• 2. Re: Revert AE comp to original clip
            cfg_2451 Level 2

If there's a way, I haven't found it. And it's not for not looking. You'd think beaking the link would be just as easy as making the link in the first place -- like group and ungroup. Yet there doesn't seem to be any way to dissolve an existing link.

What I've done in the past is go back to square one. That is, delete the AE comps from my PPro project. This usually deletes all the clips, all the edits, and everything associated with those clips. Then I re-import the original clips into PPro, and start over. A royal PITA, but it was the only thing I could find that actually worked. I even made a feature request for this in CS5. I just installed CS6 a couple of days ago and haven't checked to see if this change made it into CS6, but I'm not holding my breath.

Make a feature request. The more that are made, the more likely Adobe is to do it.

• 3. Re: Revert AE comp to original clip
              dh91 Level 1

Request made.

Also, restarting my computer "re-initiated" the link. Weird.

Thanks!