9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 11:23 PM by muchachotron

TLFTextfield font rendering issue

l.capel

I'm having some problems with Flash Pro CS6, some fonts appear to be rendering correctly only when using classic Textfields but the appear messed up in TLFTextfields. In my case I opened a CS5.5 document in CS6 and all the typography looked wrong.

I haven't tested all my fonts but I've noticed this happening with Helvetica Neue (OS X Lion system font), bold in my case and ITC Franklin Gothic Heavy. I also noticed that this deos not happen with all fonts, Arial for example looks identical when using either TLFTexfield or a Textfield.

Below is a screenshot of the issue in action, I've marked the TLFTextfields with TLF. Is this a bug? Any workaround suggestions would be great.

http://s11.postimage.org/v0yv51i0z/Screen_Shot_2012_05_18_at_19_56_35.png

• 1. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can only offer what I have heard since I haven't had a need for them myself... if you don't need some specific functionality offered by TLFTextFields that classic TextFields do not provide, use classic Textfields.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
            l.capel Level 1

If they are provided they should work, I've never had a problem with TLFTextfields in CS5.5... I work with dsigners that are very picky when it comes to typography and the TLFTextdields offer the fine tuning I need.

• 3. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
              Tony-Downey

Yep - same problem here. I'm getting designs with speicifc fonts and spacing and finding it infuriating to try to replicate it. I have to put it on the stage, have it look ugly, test it (where it renders correctly), find out how far off I was with my tracking or whatever, and re-doing it. TLFTextfields are kind of important for us!

CS5.5 never had this problem, so it's doubly frustrating. CS6 so far hasn't offered improvements for my workflow at all.

• 4. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
                Tony-Downey Level 1

ArialWTF.png

Issue occurs on both a Mac and a PC, by the way. Haven't tested a lot of fonts, but as an example, Arial Regular is fine, and Arial Bold breaks it.

• 5. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
                  Sam Brick

Hello,

I am having a similar issue with Arial Regular. When it is larger than say 14pt it becomes obvious that the font is being stretched. Here's two comparative images.

TLF:-

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 15.32.13.png

Classic:-

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 15.33.11.png

To be clear, I am embedding DF4 Arial as an external font swf for the TLF example. The TLFTextField is generated dynamically at runtime for player 10.2 in a pure actionscript project.

Did any of you guys make any progress on figuring out why the rendering is strange?

Thanks,

Sam

• 6. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
                    sinious Most Valuable Participant

TLFTextField is the whole new path forward that replaces the classic TextField. The rendering is completely different. The real question is, which font looks closer to what Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign produces than comparing apples to oranges (Classic to TLF).

Someone post a Photoshop to TLF to Classic comparison (we know photoshop will antialias better and be thicker but whatever).

edit:

Win 7 64 SP1, Flash Pro CS5.5, Photoshop 64 CS5.1 Extended:

http://files.ertp.com/temp/arialbold.jpg

• 7. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
                      Sam Brick Level 1

Here you go,

Classic

TLF

Photoshop

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 15.33.11.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 15.32.13.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 15.45.20.png

I would still say the TLF render looks wider and stretched. The Classic render is actually slightly thinner that the Photoshop version.

So, all this is interesting but how do I find out if this is just how it is with TLF or if there is something that can be done?

Much thanks,

Sam

Edit__________

I just saw your images. They are sooo similar to each other compared to what I am getting. I am using Mac OS X Lion and Arial Regular (not bold).

• 8. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
                        sinious Most Valuable Participant

They're pretty dead on, agreed. I was suprised myself because some other fonts I use (non-standard) render quite differently, especially on a baseline. Here's a picture of a custom sans font in bold made specifically for a company I work for and also it's TTF not OTF.

I do the same 3 lines which look pretty similar but you can see the TLF is slightly different. What's different in this picture is I included a screenshot of the text selected in flash to see the bounds and the baselines. You can see the vast different between TLF and Classic on the baseline. The text is rendering much higher in TLF.

http://files.ertp.com/temp/customsans.jpg

Everyone else at my agency uses OS X so I know your pain. I constantly open files and all of the fonts are screwed up. The person working on the flash document needs to export it themselves because Mac and Win work so wildly differently with fonts.

• 9. Re: TLFTextfield font rendering issue
                          muchachotron

i can confirm this as well.  in both mac os 10.7 and 10.8.  this works fine in cs5.5.   in cs6 authoring tool, fonts seem confused as to what to display when tlf:

rockwell font, against color and blank white (upper line in each group = classic, lower = tlf: regular, bold, extra bold)

screenshot from flash authoring canvas:

rockwell.png

screenshot from swf (still in the flash authoring tool, just testing movie)

Screen Shot 2012-08-24 at 1.15.48 AM.png

looks like in authoring tool canvas, tlf bold version is defaulting to the extra bold face, and they all look a bit bolder than the classic.