6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 5:48 AM by Noel Carboni

Marquee "ghosts" when moved in CS6

gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Basically this happpens in CS6 when using the Marquee tool and moving the marquee with the arrow keys or dragging inside the marquee. Does not repeat in CS4.

About the  only way to make it go away is to reduce cache levels in Preferences > Performance to 1 which is a problem in itself. Refreshing the screen (toggling the Tab key) makes the ghost marks go away but they reappear when moving the marquee. Changing Tile Size does not do anything.

marquee ghosting.jpg

My graphics card is integrated,so aside from buying a new laptop,my options are limited.

Maybe a Adobe employee can look at it and see if they can do anything from their side or

suggest a prefs adjustment.

Tech data:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x32

Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:15, Stepping:13 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3

Physical processor count: 2

Processor speed: 1729 MHz

Built-in memory: 2038 MB

Free memory: 876 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 1659 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 64 %

Image tile size: 128K

Image cache levels: 3

OpenGL Drawing: Disabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Basic

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: False.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: False.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

Video Card Vendor: Intel

Video Card Renderer: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator

Display: 1

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 800, right: 1280

Video Card Number: 2

Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

OpenCL Unavailable

Driver Version: 8.15.10.1825

Driver Date: 20090616000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: igdumdx32.dll,igd10umd32.dll

Video Mode:

Video Card Caption: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

Video Card Memory: 384 MB

Video Rect Texture Size: 2048

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

OpenCL Unavailable

Driver Version: 8.15.10.1825

Driver Date: 20090616000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: igdumdx32.dll,igd10umd32.dll

Video Mode: 1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

Video Card Memory: 384 MB

Video Rect Texture Size: 2048

• 1. Re: Marquee "ghosts" when moved in CS6
          Level 7

That's a video card driver glitch.

And your video card driver was last updated in 2009!

Please go get a more recent driver from Intel's website.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Marquee "ghosts" when moved in CS6

Thanks for the reply,Chris.  I suffer from the curse of the manufacturer-supported Intel Graphics. Basically they bounce me back to Toshiba for the latest graphic drivers. This is what Intel's driver update utilty displayed and that's the latest from Toshiba.

Capture.PNG

So it looks like a dead end. Fortunately it doesn't happen with all files,and odd enough there are no problems with the other select tools or the crop tool. I have CS4 as as fallback since that problem isn't there.

It's not crippling,so I can hang in there until I can budget out for an updated model. The new Intel chips (Ivy Bridge) will support USB 3.0 and better graphics so I can wait.

• 3. Re: Marquee "ghosts" when moved in CS6
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Did you try the various Grahics Processor settings in the Preferences - Performance dialog?  Does the problem go away if you disable the use of the Graphics Processor entirely?

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Marquee "ghosts" when moved in CS6

Hi Noel, the 965 was never supported,so that option is grayed out.

Gene

• 5. Re: Marquee "ghosts" when moved in CS6

At this point I'll take it nothing can be done in this case since it's a four year old unsupported laptop problem and I'll assume nothing can be done on the programming side at Adobe.

This ghosting doesn't happen in all images and can be erased by toggling the Tab key.

I'll mark it as answered and move on,but if you ever find out something let me know.

CS6 is great and it has a permanent home here.

• 6. Re: Marquee "ghosts" when moved in CS6
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

If it helps further with understanding, at one point in the development of my OpenGL-based plug-ins I found that the (perfectly good and well-documented) approach I had in the software for managing the OpenGL context was completely impossible to use with Intel's display driver (as it turns out I was testing on a 965 GMA in a Macbook).  I had to restructure the software to manage the context in one and only one thread, which we had thought early on we may have to do, and so structured the software to make it possible.  I did get the software working, but I received several complaints of display failures from Intel users during beta testing.  Like Photoshop, we also have a "software rendering" setting that uses the CPU only, and that's what those users ended up having to use.

As Intel has been progressing with GPU development - even to to the point of now providing integrated GPUs in their newer processor chips - I do hope they've cleaned up their software.  But I don't think that will help people like you much, since between Intel and the laptop makers, they don't seem to be supporting the older existing hardware very well.

-Noel