4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2012 2:01 PM by jonbale

What HD formats are supported by Premiere Elements 10?

jonbale

I'm planning to purchase a new HD camcorder, and I want to be sure that my camcorder and my video editing software work together well.  I notice that most high-end consumer camcorders now record HD video in MPEG4-AVC /

H.264 format. It is noted to be AVCHD 2.0 compatible.  The camcorders allow a choice of frame rates.  The best resolution is obtained with 60 (or is it 30?) frames a second, progressive.  It is referred to as 60p.  My question is: Does Premiere Elements 10 support this format and frame rate?  Will I be able to input my video material in this format, edit it, and create Blu-ray disks without significant loss of quality?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: What HD formats are supported by Premiere Elements 10?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I could only find one saved link in my notes file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/995191

But, in general, PreEl does not work well with 1080p so you will want to film in 1080i

Editing AVCHD takes a "strong" computer... so you might want to post your hardware information so someone may comment

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What HD formats are supported by Premiere Elements 10?
            jonbale Level 1

Thanks for your response, John.  I'll take your "does not work well" answer as a "no."  With respect to my hardware, as a matter of fact, I am planning to purchase a new camcorder, a new computer, and a new version of Premiere Elements all at the same time -- to replace my circa 2004 equipment.  I am going to post another question regarding ideal hardware configuration.  The computer I've got now just about handles PreEl 2 and miniDV.

Jon

P.S. Not sure this is the right place to ask it, but do any of the "light" consumer video editing programs handle 60p?

• 3. Re: What HD formats are supported by Premiere Elements 10?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though I have a small handful of "consumer" NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, the only one that I know with 100% certainty, that will perfectly handle 60p is Premiere Pro, but it is anything but "light."

It could be that newer versions of my CyberLink PowerDirector, Magix MovieEdit Pro, etc., will handle it well, but not my older versions. I do not have any of the Sony Vegas products, so you might post to a Vegas forum and ask. There are several versions of Vegas, and it could well be that one of them will be up to the task. Also, look at Pinnacle (AVID) Studio. I quit using their products, as of Studio 10, and think they are up to 14 now. Also, a newer, updated version of AVID Liquid (my older version did not), might handle it.

Others might have more current, and hence usable info on other applications.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What HD formats are supported by Premiere Elements 10?
                jonbale Level 1

What I'm really trying to achieve is good editing/rendering/burning performance with high quality HD video from camera to Blu-ray disk to screen.  I'll post a new question about this.

Jon