3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 11:26 AM by Bill Gehrke

Warning for Ivy Bridge

Harm Millaard Level 7

Warning: If you are considering a system based on the Ivy Bridge processor, be warned that the cooling paste Intel uses on the Ivy Bridge is no good, especially when overclocking. At stock speed the i7-3770K runs 11 degrees hotter than with CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra cooling paste and at 4.6GHz even 20 degrees centigrade. However if you change the cooling paste, you also void the warranty.

• 1. Re: Warning for Ivy Bridge
          JEShort01 Level 4

Along the same lines, I found this ExtremeTech article rather interesting, "Physics, Ivy Bridge, and the slow death of overclocking":

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/129300-physics-ivy-bridge-and-the-slow-death-of-overc locking

• 2. Re: Warning for Ivy Bridge
            RjL190365 Level 4

Thanks, Harm and Jim, for the heads-up. The thermal problem is only going to get worse as newer CPUs come to market. We are now hitting the absolute maximum limits of current copper-interconnect technology used in all current CPUs. One of the problems is this: a combination of low power consumption and high relative performance at stock speeds usually leads to a CPU that does not handle overclocking well. Of course, we do not want to turn the clock back to the nasty days of CPUs performing molasses-slow (even when heavily overclocked) and consuming voracious (relatively speaking) amounts of power even at stock speed and at idle.

• 3. Re: Warning for Ivy Bridge
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Harm, I am guessing that this statement "However if you change the cooling paste, you also void the warranty."  only applies if you open up the package by removing the heat spreader to get directly at the integrated circuit like some really advanced overclockers do.  I seriously doubt that using the unmodified package and using something like the old reliable Arctic Silver externally would hardly justify voiding the warranty.