8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 3:07 PM by Jim Curtis

Upgradation to CS6

Mark_WalterSmith

Hey folks.  I was wondering if anyone is thinking of upgrading to Adobe CS6 or will you be waiting or skipping the release.  Some of our team members are on CS4 and some on CS5, what would you suggest we do regarding CS6.  Will appreciate your advice and any experiences positive or negative you may have had with CS6

• 1. Re: Upgradation to CS6
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I upgraded to Production Premium CS6 from 5.5 on the day of its release.  so many benefits.  No gripes of any substance.

it depends who you are, how you use it and what you want out of it as to whether the upgrade floats your boat or not.

• 2. Re: Upgradation to CS6
            Admiral Cook Level 1

CS6 is great but regarding forum threads it seems little buggy?

- When you capture HDV you can't rename captured clips

- There are problems with alpha in some formats

- Some people has very large project files

- I don't like Adjust Gain By as default active field in Audio Gain

- You can not move clip 2 over clip1 (Alt+Left) while keeping transition between them

Waiting for 6.1 or 6.0.1 may be good idea.

• 3. Re: Upgradation to CS6
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Cook,

Every new version brings along a flurry of posts, but looking them over, I can only conclude:

• CS6 is not buggy,
              • The questions asked are mainly by people who have not RTFM, have no experience and make OE,
              • The majority are MAC users, who have a natural tendency to plug in the wall outlet and expect the program to do what they want, keeping their Prores and Quircktime inclinations intact.

CS6 is not more buggy than previous versions. It is the user who may need to adapt to new workflows and that can mean RTFM.

• 4. Re: Upgradation to CS6
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd have to agree with Harm on this, with just one exception.

There is an acknowledged bug with spanned AVCHD media that really makes it impossible to use CS6 efficiently.  If you're using such media, you may want to wait for a fix.  If not, then I say go ahead and update now.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• 5. Re: Upgradation to CS6
                  UlfLaursen Level 2

I just installed PPRO CS6 only on my test PC, an Intel quadcore 2.4 GHz with 8 GB RAM and 3 harddisks 7200 RPM.

I my oppinion the CS6 works even better than CS5.5 did, more responsive etc. and full res playback on AVCHD footage for example.

I can only recommend to upgrade, and I have found no bugs yet

/Ulf

• 6. Re: Upgradation to CS6
                    jdmack01 Level 1

"There is an acknowledged bug with spanned AVCHD media that really makes it impossible to use CS6 efficiently.  If you're using such media, you may want to wait for a fix.  If not, then I say go ahead and update now.  I don't think you'll be disappointed."

I'm curious about this.  I shoot with a Sony NX5U, and when I have spanned media, I use Sony's Content Manager to combine the clips as one large single file.  This has always worked well for me (though I don't have CS6 yet).  Is this your work flow, or are you using Premiere's content manager to work with your spanned clips?

J. D.

• 8. Re: Upgradation to CS6
                      Jim Curtis Level 3

I think CS6 is better than CS5.5.  I'm on Mac.  There are bugs.  Some of them will most likely get fixed.  Some bugs in 5.5 never got fixed; they're still in CS6.  The increases in productivity make the upgrade worth it for me. 

I don't use AVCHD and HDV, and avoid them like the plague.  That may account for a more solid experience.